iPod Classic Volume Level Setting
May 2, 2012 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
All

Quick question. I've got the EU/UK version of the iPod Classic'09. As you all know we've got a government regulation where they set the max volume capped compared to the iPods from other continents. Yesterday I've done something by increasing the volume by about 25% in the iTunes settings by selecting all the songs from Music list in the iPod. After processing the dB levels seem to have gone up by a considerable amount. Honestly I wouldn't go past 25% on the digital volume now. It sounds as if it's been amplified from the line out.

My question is does it sort of apply a pre-gain setting across the board and if it does what about the THD and SNR. Would they be affected adversely or nothing happens a part from getting more gain?

Thanks...

May 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 2
I don't know what it does exactly, but I would be wary of it inducing distortion on tracks that are already mastered loud (with little or no headroom), like some EQ presets do. The only way to actually remove the volume cap is to install Rockbox. I did last night, and the iPod is much louder now (and measures better in RMAA tests).

There are many advantages to installing Rockbox: no volume cap, freedom from iTunes, proper EQ and replaygain support, support for more codecs/formats…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back