iPod Classic: the only high capacity, non-touchscreen DAP?
Jan 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

triple_b

New Head-Fier
Hey people,

Last week I switched from an iPhone 3G S to a RIM Blackberry 9700 and even though I was living with the iPhone's average sound quality since it had 16 gigs onboard, the Blackberry works with Micro SD cards and I'd rather not buy one considering the device cuts the bass off at 30 Hz, and its quality isn't really outstanding from what I heard on my earphones. The high-frequency sounds do sound a lot less exagerated though, that's a good point.

I have a pretty-large-and-going-larger (though it's nothing comparable to YOUR musical files, don't worry) music collection and I'd very much like to be able to store it all on my DAP without having to select and delete things.

I've had two iPod Classics (the first one broke down, the second one I broke) and they didn't sound quite incredible. They were 80 Gigs models if that changes anything. To be honest I'm somewhat tired of Apple, after selling my Macbook and my ****load of iPods I think it's time for a change.

But here's the thing: there does not seem to be ANY DAP that matches my criterias :

- great sound quality
- great storage space (>64 GB)
- great battery life (plx, more than 24 hours ...)
- great UI (please no ARCHOS.)

So yeah, that pretty much leaves me with the iPod Classic, besides the sound quality part. Please keep in mind that I don't want to put in too much money (the price difference shouldn't be huge from that of the iPod) and that I'd rather not have to attach another amp like most of you do with your iPods. I don't mean to be annoying, I'd just love to keep my pockets flat
tongue.gif

I use UltimateEars SuperFi 5 headphones, which are known to be "american" : they're very bass-oriented and leave fewer space for the trebles, though I really didn't feel such problem whereas my old Bose in-ear were just making me want to die.

I know this is yet another "which DAP?" thread but I think it'd be useful for people like me to know what alternative they have.
Now I just rely on your knowledge to help me :p

Sorry i.a. for the broken english
wink.gif
and thank you.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 24
Erm, from what I can gather from this forum the 5/5.5G ipods actually have good SQ, as do the latest itouches. Though they're not fantastic on battery life.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm, from what I can gather from this forum the 5/5.5G ipods actually have good SQ, as do the latest itouches. Though they're not fantastic on battery life.

The Classics are 6G :p And they last about 40 hours in playback.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple_b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Classics are 6G :p And they last about 40 hours in playback.

Really? Maybe my ipod was faulty then... Oh, and I know the classics are the 6G - but the 5/5.5 Gs are an alternative right?

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Maybe my ipod was faulty then... Oh, and I know the classics are the 6G - but the 5/5.5 Gs are an alternative right?

Why in God's name would I get an old model?!

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Why in God's name would I get an old model?!

So you can install Rockbox on it and mod to taste.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 24
IF I were to get an iPod, i would get an LOD and high end amp.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 24
Rockbox an old Gigabeat F or iRiver Hxxx, with a HDD mod. It's a bit of a DIY, but it's a nice alternative to the Zune / iPod HDD offerings.

The only issue would be battery life, but perhaps there's a way to mod that to expand it a bit. My Gigabeat does ~10 hours, with the stock battery.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox an old Gigabeat F or iRiver Hxxx, with a HDD mod. It's a bit of a DIY, but it's a nice alternative to the Zune / iPod HDD offerings.

The only issue would be battery life, but perhaps there's a way to mod that to expand it a bit. My Gigabeat does ~10 hours, with the stock battery.

Good thing I read this. I was planning to go ahead and buy a iPod 7th gen, after my H340 died, but maybe it's just the hdd that's dead, maybe I can replace it... Though it's gonna be a risky job since I am not sure that that's the part that is defective. Maybe people some thoughts on it: The H300 that I have doesn't boot up by holding the play button, but I can boot it up by connecting it to my laptop as it then start the "usb-connected" mode after which I can unplug and the H300 stays on, but it is however impossible to start a song, because normally it would crash trying to navigate to the song.... But the play button does work when the player is on.

But maybe that is inrelevant in this thread, however: Is the H3x0 considered a better sounding player than the iPod Classic 7th Gen? Because I assumed the iPod would be better.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing I read this. I was planning to go ahead and buy a iPod 7th gen, after my H340 died, but maybe it's just the hdd that's dead, maybe I can replace it.

I believe that the entire Hxxx series are considered one of the best DAPs in terms of SQ.

As for a HDD upgrade, here's the Rockbox wiki on replacing the internal drive with a larger ZIF based one: ZIFToATAAdapter < Main < Wiki. I believe the 140 and 340 use the same PATA-based 50 pin drive. Obviously, you're taking a risk since you don't know for a fact that the drive is the problem.

Quote:

Any thoughts on the 120 GB Zune ? It's like a hundred €s cheaper than the iPod Classic and it's said to have a better SQ.

I've read that the Zune HP out is superior than the HP out on the Classic. But, the Classic may be better with a LOD / amp add-on. My issue with both of them is the software requirement for syncing the players, which is why I usually suggest the iRiver / Gigabeat DIY's as an alternative.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks for answering. Like I said I'd very much like to avoid having to plug something else, I already have enough stuff to carry (my RIM unit, cards, keyring, etc) when I use PT.
I don't mind the Zune software, I bore with iTunes for almost 5 years now and I've come to terms with that. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back