IPOD Classic Sync problem
Feb 1, 2011 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anita

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know how to sync my IPOD to my new laptop without losing all the stored music. My old laptop was stolen so I have no backup for the music I have stored?

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Bummer...

I've never had to do this, but I think this would work:

Connect the iPod to the new laptop but do not sync it.  Set it to enable disc use (if that wasn't already the setting). Then in Windows Explorer you can drag and drop the files off of the iPod into a local folder.  The folder structure on the iPod is pretty useless, but once the files are on the laptop you should be able to drop them into iTunes and let it organize them - that will at least make the folder structure on the laptop somewhat more logical.

Like I said I've never had to do this so I can't swear this would work, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 10
When i had a new laptop i  downloaded a program from the net called TUNEUP COMPANION which will transferred all the music on your ipod into itunes .It works just fine and will even get you any artwork that is missing from your cds stored on your ipod/itunes

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Thanks Eric, unfortunately this didn't work as Explorer didn't read any info stored on the IPOD! I will try the Tunueup Companion option.

Thanks again

I think that's because the folder containing your music in the iPod is hidden by default. You will have to change setting to show hidden files in your Windows Explorer in order to see them.

You may also want to try winamp, the iPod plugin allows you to drag music to your computer. Think it keeps the tags intact too.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Not sure if you solved this yet, but this was a big problem for me for a while, and now I use sharepod. Most other programs were either too awkward to use or trial only.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I think that's because the folder containing your music in the iPod is hidden by default. You will have to change setting to show hidden files in your Windows Explorer in order to see them.

You may also want to try winamp, the iPod plugin allows you to drag music to your computer. Think it keeps the tags intact too.

yeah i think this will work. The folder of the music will be hidden, but I think all music synced with itunes will be renamed to random letters/numbers

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
yeah i think this will work. The folder of the music will be hidden, but I think all music synced with itunes will be renamed to random letters/numbers

Yes and this is where software such as winamp and Sharepod comes into play
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 10
There's two approaches i have tried - the first was using sharepod

The second is to copy the 'music' folder in the invisible ipod control folder, and using the tags on the files (which are still there) to reconstruct the filenames with something like mp3tag.
Both approaches work well, if there are no other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back