ipod classic sound quality worse than 5g true or false.
Dec 23, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Classic is much cleaner (due to it's more direct signal path), has much tighter bass, and a much larger soundstage than the 5g. It's treble has a slightly more metallic tone to it though.

3 pros to 1 con.... it's a better sounding unit.

In my opinion, the sound stage has shrunk drastically, and cleanness in this case is brittle. The bass is better though.

It's a 1 pros to 3 cons....
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to this article IPod Classic's Sound Quality Called into Question | Listening Post from Wired.com it states and some of the comments below it state that the quality is worse on the classic than the 5 g. Is this true or do these people not know what they are talking about. Just wondering
smily_headphones1.gif
because i just got a classic to replace my old 5g.

So now, it's been almost a month. What do your ears tell you?

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #20 of 43
If the 6G has a more direct routing from the DAC to the Line Out then does this mean that the sound is 5G quality if using a LOD but not as good from the headphone socket? My local HMV has some 160gb's left so was going to pick one up but thinking I should just pick up a 5.5g 80Gb second hand instead. Hmmm?

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 43
Oh god this is an old thread. But the 6G definately has acoustic issues. So dont kid yourself. Though I personally cant hear a difference between any of the ipod models I have heard.

Quote:

This web page discusses the Audio Classic 160GB audio performance. I've started this page because of the sonic differences between the iPod Classic, and the iPod Video 5G 60GB. In my opinion the 5G sounded better than its successor 6G. My first impression of the sound quality of the iPod Classic showed quite a difference with the iPod Video. I noticed that the 6G sounds precise, crisp, but lacks 3D image and has an electronic haze to the sound. At first, this might sound like an improvement (crisp, detailed), but when listening more carefully and for longer times, it becomes fatiguing after a while. The 5G sounds less precise, but its timbre contains more harmonic information and sounds less electronic. For me, the 5G is closer to how I experience acoustic music in real life, and for me is the better sounding device overall. This is not to say that the 6G is a terribly bad sounding device! It's just less than the 5G, and sound electronic/acoustical as opposed to acoustical/musical.

To backup my findings, I've performed some measurements. These measurements show that the iPod Classic uses badly engineered circuitry in its audio chain.

You can read about it here:
Measurements

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 43
Vinnie from Red Wine Audio feels the 6g is much better than the 5g/5.5. He said it is closer to sounding likt the 5/5.5 gen imod.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 43
i also prefer the 6g but the 5.5 was a great sounding unit also from hpo. i did not bother amping either source. they easily sounded better than my sources up to that point for my uses (older sources in frequent use: cowon d2 and meizu m6) but were trumped by either source's use of eq especially the meizu. ipod eq is rubbish indeed but has a better stage and less hiss than the meizu.

both are great: 5.5 is great if you like hpo or imod. 6g is just a better performer all around. less hiss: great and the bass response with low ohm phones seems much better but not overpumped.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Classic sounds better to me with my SCL4s.

As opposed to...what, iBuds?
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As opposed to...what, iBuds?
tongue.gif

As opposed to my old 60 gig with the same headphones...
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both are great: 5.5 is great if you like hpo or imod. 6g is just a better performer all around. less hiss

When I compared my 5.5G to 120 Classic I heard more hiss from Classic. Otherwise they sounded much the same.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 43
The only appreciable differences I have heard with ipods are; the 1st gen shuffle sounds better than its later revisions, the iphone sounds considerably better than my nano 3g my classic and 4th and 5.5g that all sound the same. I don't have golden ears but I do have some good custom iems that are unforgiving and very revealing of the source.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compared my 5.5G to 120 Classic I heard more hiss from Classic. Otherwise they sounded much the same.

I definitely do notice the Classic to have a little more hiss. I think it's best to bypass the headphone jack and use the dock, if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back