ipod classic sound quality worse than 5g true or false.
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
according to this article IPod Classic's Sound Quality Called into Question | Listening Post from Wired.com it states and some of the comments below it state that the quality is worse on the classic than the 5 g. Is this true or do these people not know what they are talking about. Just wondering
smily_headphones1.gif
because i just got a classic to replace my old 5g.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to this article IPod Classic's Sound Quality Called into Question | Listening Post from Wired.com it states and some of the comments below it state that the quality is worse on the classic than the 5 g. Is this true or do these people not know what they are talking about. Just wondering
smily_headphones1.gif
because i just got a classic to replace my old 5g.

Former 5.5g owner/Classic owner here. IMO the Classic is better. Cleaner, with stronger bass.

Rick

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 43
same songs, same cans (RS-1, HD600, E500 and ER4-P) with about 30 songs.. and I cant tell the difference between my 5.5 80 gig and my new classic 80 gig. The EQ on Treble boost sounds just a tab brighter on the Classic, but even that could be argued. I would have to say they are a draw sonically.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 43
Definitely better IMO, like you've been reading, cleaner sounding, better bass extension (with EQ on, I don't use flat). I wouldn't worry too much about that Wired article, i think it's hogwash. Sold my 5G as soon as I got my Classic, the differences are subtle, you won't notice it right away, until you use your favourite cans with it. I notice the bass is better, as for the treble I would say is it slightly bumped, very slight. Hope that helps.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 43
I could disregard the PhD's test/finding, but like this forum, the actual user's comments are what I read and quite a few users seem to agree that the Classic now has more treble and is more lightweight in dynamics. I need to do more research as I was thinking about a classic, but I hate bright sources.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 43
Just to give equal time here... I've been at a loss for some time now to understand why what I was hearing through direct, extended comparison of the two models was so different than what everyone else was hearing. I desperately wanted to like the 6G but just couldn't get past the shrill, unpleasant sound. I guess I plan on going back to the store at some point to give another listen, but I still have a hard time with people saying there is minimal to no difference sonically between the two; what I heard was clear and distinguishable.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 43
the comments on the bottom of the article seem kind of rediculous to what I've been experiencing with the classic. They say there is a derastic change and they hate it. Almost all of them. Maybe the first version of the classic that came out wasn't as good or something? Or may it just be the placebo taking effect on them after reading other articles like that one.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 43
Well i got my classic 2 days after it was released, and ive been using it from the original softwear all the way up to the newest update. So ive heard everything and it still hasnt changed the fact that IMO the classic sounds better then the 5.5g.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to give equal time here... I've been at a loss for some time now to understand why what I was hearing through direct, extended comparison of the two models was so different than what everyone else was hearing. I desperately wanted to like the 6G but just couldn't get past the shrill, unpleasant sound. I guess I plan on going back to the store at some point to give another listen, but I still have a hard time with people saying there is minimal to no difference sonically between the two; what I heard was clear and distinguishable.

Not sure where u got shrill from, the classic is far from shrill sounding. You should bring a 5G along and load it with the same tracks they have at the store, also be sure to bring your own cans and use the same eq settings if any. The differences weren't so obvious at first, more subtle, but i definitely noticed more when I used my er6i on the classic, Keane used to sound distorted in the upper treble on my 5G, the er6i really shines on the classic, especially the low end, definitely more defined bass vs the 5G.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 43
OK folks, but what are the differences when they're both amped?? USing Portaphile and Supermacro. Have 4g. imod, but wondering how the classic would sound as a second source, but anyone have any opinions when the classic is amped???

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK folks, but what are the differences when they're both amped?? USing Portaphile and Supermacro. Have 4g. imod, but wondering how the classic would sound as a second source, but anyone have any opinions when the classic is amped???

The Classic is much cleaner (due to it's more direct signal path), has much tighter bass, and a much larger soundstage than the 5g. It's treble has a slightly more metallic tone to it though.

3 pros to 1 con.... it's a better sounding unit.

And if you are going to amp it, make sure you do so from the dock. I'd recommend a nice LOD cable from Qables.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 43
IpodPJ--many thanks for the info. Got ALO cryo cables so will stick with them. Too much bux invested in cables to buy anew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back