iPOD Classic sound issue
Oct 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

icsterm

New Head-Fier
Hi there
icon10.gif

I just came in posession of a new iPOD 160GB classic.
But i found a small sound problem. When not playing i can hear small cracks when i change the volume between 50% and 100%. Also when i power on my iPOD, a small noise can be heard(only when sound volume is 50% + ).
I think the problem is the internal amp.
Anybody can confirm these annoying cracks i hear?
Maybe the iPOD needs burn-in and the cracks will go away?
Please advise...
confused_face(1).gif

The cracks are very hard to listen with 'normal' ear, maybe somebody with trained ear can confirm this.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 24
yah there! very noticeable if your switching from one bitrate to another. its kinda irritating isnt it? kind of like its gona ruin ur good set of cans hehehe sell the ipod classic and go get a better player! i know i did!

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinkydelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yah there! very noticeable if your switching from one bitrate to another. its kinda irritating isnt it? kind of like its gona ruin ur good set of cans hehehe sell the ipod classic and go get a better player! i know i did!

When playing i can't notice the cracks. When track is on pause and i play with the volume control the cracks can be heard. Because the noise is hard to hear (only in perfect silence environment), it can be observed only when the ipod is not playing.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 24
I think the internal opamp needs burn-in, i'l leave feedback after 20 hours of continous playback.
The player has been used around 3 hours.
Anyway, i plan to buy LOD cable to bypass the bad circuit.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by icsterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the internal opamp needs burn-in, i'l leave feedback after 20 hours of continous playback.
The player has been used around 3 hours.
Anyway, i plan to buy LOD cable to bypass the bad circuit.

Bad Circuit = use your apple warranty before it worsens the case.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 24
I only notice these "cracks" when the music is paused and I turn the headphones up all the way. No hiss, but after about 80% then there are a few clicks if I turn it up that high and then it goes away. There's kind of a lag too from when I actually reach max volume to when I hear the clicks before they stop.

Haven't tried LOC to bypass and see if it helps.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 24
It almost sounds as if the problem is a coupling capacitor in the out put stage of the amp. A discharge from a build up in it. A burn in may well do the trick if that is the case. If it is a refurb, who knows for sure. In any case, if it bothers you and does not clear up, send it in for service.

Tim

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb5881 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It almost sounds as if the problem is a coupling capacitor in the out put stage of the amp. A discharge from a build up in it. A burn in may well do the trick if that is the case. If it is a refurb, who knows for sure. In any case, if it bothers you and does not clear up, send it in for service.

Tim

The iPOD is 1 day old, yesterday i unboxed it. I only used 20% of the battery capacity
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 24
hmmmm, I've got one 160GB iPod Classic as well but I've never heard those clicks. But i'm using an ALO LOD and a Corda 2Move, but I'll try to do those volume tricks and check if mine has the same problem. Hope not, after all, it wasn't refurbished
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm, I've got one 160GB iPod Classic as well but I've never heard those clicks. But i'm using an ALO LOD and a Corda 2Move, but I'll try to do those volume tricks and check if mine has the same problem. Hope not, after all, it wasn't refurbished
smily_headphones1.gif

Put iPOD in paused play mode, then rapidly play with volume bar. Use the headphone jack and the stock ear buds.
The click efect seems to vanish by itself, i can only hear it on louder volume levels than initially. So, i'l just leave the iPOD run all night and see if has any effect.
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah, i`l buy an Silvercab LOD and an iBasso P3 to get rid of problems.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 24
So mine does this too and I am going to start working on warranty return with apple. If it matters to anyone, I only really noticed it with my RE2 phones. It was almost undetectable with my Koss KSC75 phones.

EDIT: Just barely tried with my roommate's 160GB classic that he ordered the same day as me, and his does it too. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see what they say. Could it have something to do with different resistances in the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back