Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #781 of 3,645
By "latest build", I assume people are referring to b723f81M-120509?

I just installed that so we will see. I still find it odd that the last three builds don't go into "charge mode" but rather only trickle charge. In other words, Rockbox thinks that the Classic is fully charged even though the percentage is below 100%. It still charges this way but I do find that as soon as I unplug, it quickly drops to 94% On the other hand, the previous versions that went into "charge mode showed wildly inaccurate (i.e. low) percentages when plugged in so there was always the danger of overcharging.

Am I the only one who has noticed all of this?

May 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #782 of 3,645
Quote:

I just installed that so we will see. I still find it odd that the last three builds don't go into "charge mode" but rather only trickle charge. In other words, Rockbox thinks that the Classic is fully charged even though the percentage is below 100%. It still charges this way but I do find that as soon as I unplug, it quickly drops to 94% On the other hand, the previous versions that went into "charge mode showed wildly inaccurate (i.e. low) percentages when plugged in so there was always the danger of overcharging.

I noticed the quick drop when I unplug the ipod with "latest build"

May 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #783 of 3,645
Quote:

Yup. Also noticed that. Don't know exactly since what build. 

May 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #784 of 3,645
Thanks for the affirmation, guys. I wondered if I was alone.

I believe that "48c248dM-120408+10bandeq" was the last aroldan build to go into "charge mode" (i.e. a flashing lightning bolt in the battery on many themes). The three builds since then, 6g-ef75583M-120423+10bandeq, 6g-135a333M-120501, and 6g-b723f81M-120509 are in permanent "fully charged" mode (i.e. a non-flashing plug in the battery on many themes). This means that they only trickle charge. On the positive side, there is no danger of overcharging. On the negative, side you don't get the strong electrical charge to properly top up the battery.

(BTW the naming conventions can be a bit confusing. In fact, they all have the 10 band equalizer.)

Aroldan, to be clear (if it isn't already obvious), I am a huge fan of your updates and I am collecting them all. I am curious though, is there a reason that "charge mode" is no longer supported on the recent updates?

May 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #785 of 3,645
Quote:
Thanks for the affirmation, guys. I wondered if I was alone.

I believe that "48c248dM-120408+10bandeq" was the last aroldan build to go into "charge mode" (i.e. a flashing lightning bolt in the battery on many themes). The three builds since then, 6g-ef75583M-120423+10bandeq, 6g-135a333M-120501, and 6g-b723f81M-120509 are in permanent "fully charged" mode (i.e. a non-flashing plug in the battery on many themes). This means that they only trickle charge. On the positive side, there is no danger of overcharging. On the negative, side you don't get the strong electrical charge to properly top up the battery.

(BTW the naming conventions can be a bit confusing. In fact, they all have the 10 band equalizer.)

Aroldan, to be clear (if it isn't already obvious), I am a huge fan of your updates and I am collecting them all. I am curious though, is there a reason that "charge mode" is no longer supported on the recent updates?

I'll work out on that. The naming convention from now on will be: rockbox-ipod6g-<build>-<date>.zip and the patches included will be listed here.

May 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #787 of 3,645
New build with:
  1. New crossfeed algorithm for Rockbox: "Meier" crossfeed
  2. Work in progress hermite resampler.
  3. Add identify() call to reset procedures
  4. filesystem events: Add a new event to trigger on file access
  5. 10band eq
  6. Battery Boost (Vcore from 1.050V to 0.950V at 54MHz and from 1.200V to 1.100V at 216Mhz)
  7. Battery Estimation Time set to 28 hours at 850mAh.
  8. ipod6g_charger-v1

Hope that solves the charging issue.

May 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #788 of 3,645
Can anyone test out the new build? Especially battery life; I had a 1 hour battery life on my previous build (1205xx) before reverting to the early build.

May 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #790 of 3,645
new build is great. so problem so far! Thanks again!

May 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #793 of 3,645
You know what?  Screw Rockbox, I'm going back to the stock firmware.  Any improvement in sound quality is worthless to me when it takes over 20 minutes for my computer to recognize and mount the damn thing, if it ever does. It displays the USB connected image on the screen, but it doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer.  It also powered off while I was transferring over 90Gb of music to it.  Seriously? I thought this thing became "Plug and Play" with Rockbox installed!

It seems like I can't do anything on my iPod without Rockbox freezing either.  Installing and using this software has been nothing more than a headache and has brought me nothing but problems. 

All I want is something that'll show me my music when I turn it on, doesn't freeze or lock up, connects immediately when I plug it into my computer, and doesn't decide to randomly crap out on me while transferring files.

May 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #794 of 3,645
Quote:
You know what?  Screw Rockbox, I'm going back to the stock firmware.  Any improvement in sound quality is worthless to me when it takes over 20 minutes for my computer to recognize and mount the damn thing, if it ever does. It displays the USB connected image on the screen, but it doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer.  It also powered off while I was transferring over 90Gb of music to it.  Seriously? I thought this thing became "Plug and Play" with Rockbox installed!

It seems like I can't do anything on my iPod without Rockbox freezing either.  Installing and using this software has been nothing more than a headache and has brought me nothing but problems. 

All I want is something that'll show me my music when I turn it on, doesn't freeze or lock up, connects immediately when I plug it into my computer, and doesn't decide to randomly crap out on me while transferring files.

I feel your frustrations. That's why I said to get an ipod 5g and rockbox it in less than 1 minutes and you will NOT encounter a single problem. I mean these dap's are suppose to be portable music hard drives. ITune simply destroys that concept.

May 12, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #795 of 3,645
Adonexus, I feel your pain too except that I have exactly none of your problems. I had Rockbox on a 5.5G iMod and it worked. I now have it on the Classic and it works just as well (but for the limitations of no dual boot etc.) My computer recognizes it (Windows 7 Pro), it doesn't crash, and it does what it is meant to to do.

I do wish that I could help you but I can't give advice to solve problems that I can't duplicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back