Ipod Classic / MacBook Pro / Shure srh 940 - Do I need an Amp ?
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

romarin329

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I happy to share my passion with you guys.

I come from Marseille, France and this is my first post. I've always attached lot of importance to sound quality. I got a nice Hifi but I like to hear music in the night, that's why I just acquired the mentionned above headphones.

Now that I've read R-Audiohead's review on this products (on this website), I'm hesitating to buy an amp to improve my pleasure listening music in my bed with my Ipod Classic or on my Mac.

Will it improve anything ? If it does, which one would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge,
Musically yours,

Romarin

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I do not own the Shure headphones you do, however if you can hear music on your ipod or computer at the volume you like, then you do not NEED an amp. Some headphones are so powerful that they require powerful amps to be able to turn them up to a listenable volume. However, while I am new here both as a poster and an audiophile, it is my understanding that amps can improve the sound of your music. I can't speak to this specifically, but earlier today I did order a PA2v2 amp, so very shortly I will be able to speak from experience
smily_headphones1.gif
. From what I have read, the PA2v2 produces very nice warm sounds and is extremely affordable ($60), perhaps read some of the reviews on the site and see if it is something you might be interested in.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 7
My best advice, and what I am still in the process of doing, is spend lots of time reading old threads on this site. Pretty much any question you can ask has been asked before and can be found in old threads. 

A short answer to your last post though is that the headphone output for ipod is fine and offers great sound, however, by using the line-out-dock (the plug on the bottom of ipods that is used to connect to pc) you can by-pass the internal ipod amp. This can allow you to purchase a higher quality amp than the one that comes stock in ipods. All of this info is readily available on the site in various threads

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 7
i would get a dac. i have the fiio e7 and it improves upon my laptop sound card greatly. i own the shure srh840 btw.

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 7
I own the 940's and I have to warn you that they are useless without an amp. Out of an ipod they are weak, lean and bland; with an amp they are surprisingly very good headphones, I believe the best value in their class (I have owned most cans in that class: closed large portable $200-$500) I am using the Headstage Arrow and pairs very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back