iPod classic line out question
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

UseYourIllusion

New Head-Fier
I searched, but couldn't really find any answers on here or the Internet. So maybe someone with more expertise can tell me. I just ordered a fiio L8 IPod Line out cord and was curious about something. I know the 5th generation iPod 80gb is considered accumulatively the best sounding iPod. I myself own a 120gb iPod classic, and was wondering that since I'll be using my line out cord, and not going through the iPods amp, will the 5th generation still sound better than my classic? Or is the quality difference negated by the line out cord to my headphone amp. Because if the 5th generation still sounds better, I'm going to buy one and get rid of my classic. Hope someone can help, and thanks in advance

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I searched, but couldn't really find any answers on here or the Internet. So maybe someone with more expertise can tell me. I just ordered a fiio L8 IPod Line out cord and was curious about something. I know the 5th generation iPod 80gb is considered accumulatively the best sounding iPod. I myself own a 120gb iPod classic, and was wondering that since I'll be using my line out cord, and not going through the iPods amp, will the 5th generation still sound better than my classic? Or is the quality difference negated by the line out cord to my headphone amp. Because if the 5th generation still sounds better, I'm going to buy one and get rid of my classic. Hope someone can help, and thanks in advance

So I guess it comes down to which iPod comes with a better DAC? (Digital to Analog Converter).
Which I have no idea on, but try and find a Apple forum and ask there about the DACs, if no one on Head-fi can tell you which has the better DAC.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 7
I would imagine you are going to find endless arguments on which ipod has the best DAC. I would just use your cable and listen for yourself. If you don't think the quality of the line out from your ipod is good enough, look for alternatives. You should just trust your own ears IMO.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh ok guys, so i figure the DAC in the ipod is still used then, don't know if i should give up that extra 40gbs from my 120gb classic to go with the 5.5 80gb generation with the wolfson DAC which apparently sounds better.

But my set up right now is

Audio Technicas ATH M-50
Fiio E11
Ipod 120gb with LOD

stilll just wondering about the ipod really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back