iPod Classic... DAC and output stage info from Vinnie of RWA
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #211 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All,

but of course I am also a little biased!
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Exactly.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #213 of 222
I has spend many hours doing the test replaying same track from Keiko Lee.My simple system setup was a pair of Usher S520 Bookshelf-speakers driven by a little monster 10Watts Trends T10.1 T-amp & some customize cables.My conculsion here is signal coming out thru ipod Dock[6 Gen. Version] did produce better in audio seperation but with much less weight as compare to headphone jack point.I personally enjoy more jacking in my audio system thru Head jack which is alot more warm and musical sounding.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #214 of 222
Hi all, after spent 1 Hour reading this thread, I got some questions
confused.gif

1. Which part has the better sound output for the 6G, the dock connector with a good cable out or the headphone jack?

2. I just updated the Ipod today and it seems it has gone from 1.0 to 1.01 to 1.02 to 1.03 and now its 1.1. And form a thread i read, the error in the new dac can be fixed by a firmware update and now I think maybe after many emails form apple fans, they might have fixed that problem, can anyone confirm this? thank you soo much
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #215 of 222
I have a 4th gen Imod a 80gb classic and 1st gen nano. From the LOD, amped, the classic SQ is closer to the 1st gen nano than the Imod, the difference is significant.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #216 of 222
so, what is the conclution?

witch one is better?

5.5 gen stock ipod,
5.5 gen imod without vcap
5.5 gen imod with vcap
or ipod classic?

I am tinking to take one.

Do I take the classic or 5.5 gen and mod it?

In my country, (indonesia) it is still 1 ipod 5.5 gen new in box.

So I am very confuse now.

oya, sory for my english

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #217 of 222
Bump!

I've only read the first 2 pages.... and I have a question.
You lot say the 6th gen is great in stock form? (no modification)
I trust you guys know what your saying but with my iPod Classic 80GB, the bass is distorted when I have the EQ turned on...... Im really confused because you guys said this ipod has great sound......... Im certain its not my headphones.

My friend bought the same ipod 2 weeks later, his was exactly the same!!!

Also, I've just ordered an CMOY amp by juice2214 also a random LOD cable.
Hopefully this will sort out the above problem, am I correct?
BUT why didnt the ipod come with perfect sound like you guys said it does on the 1st few pages.....??
Really confusing, someone please shed some light!

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #218 of 222
The guy at Apple who mixed the preset equalizers was a recovering cocaine addict. He didn't do a very good job.

The pre-sets are unusable as far as I can tell. They induce tons of distortion and crackling, so it is definitely not your headphones or anything else. Seriously, with all the knowledge on this board, I can see a few getting together and starting up an mp3 player company that would blow anything on the market out of the water. Some of the stuff out right now just doesn't make any sense. Gimmicky interfaces and needlessly flashy exteriors are all fine and dandy, but at the expense of the software and common sense features?? what?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #219 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon_DC2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump!

I've only read the first 2 pages.... and I have a question.
You lot say the 6th gen is great in stock form? (no modification)
I trust you guys know what your saying but with my iPod Classic 80GB, the bass is distorted when I have the EQ turned on...... Im really confused because you guys said this ipod has great sound......... Im certain its not my headphones.

My friend bought the same ipod 2 weeks later, his was exactly the same!!!

Also, I've just ordered an CMOY amp by juice2214 also a random LOD cable.
Hopefully this will sort out the above problem, am I correct?
BUT why didnt the ipod come with perfect sound like you guys said it does on the 1st few pages.....??

Vinnie, at least, is saying two distinct things: 1) you can't mod the Classic, the circuitry doesn't allow it; 2) the Classic still doesn't sound as good as a modded earlier model. I've written about this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ol...mod-sq-408266/

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #220 of 222
Kibble Fat is correct - the EQ feature adds plenty of distortion. Turn it OFF.

Quote:

why didnt the ipod come with perfect sound like you guys said it does on the 1st few pages.....??

Even with the EQ OFF, nobody said it has perfect sound
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #221 of 222
You have a very loose definition of "feature", I see...
tongue_smile.gif

I think the ipod classic (among other ipod models too, I would suspect) EQ "feature" is analogous to getting an extensive selection of crappy ear tips that comes with a nice iem. Yeah, there are many to choose from, and it may have been one of the selling points, but they're completely and utterly useless - even in a pinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back