iPod Classic audio power output, and what to expect from one?
Dec 31, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
Well folks,

I have been talking with my management (Len Enders of Label Cove Entertainment), and he suggested that I someway somehow get off of the stigma that iPod users are mere "sheep" and perhaps actually look into getting one (or 2 or 3 for that matter), and I was eyeing the 2006-07 160GB Classic in Black, to match up with the Griffin inline remote Griffin Technology: Navigate - Inline Controller and FM Radio for iPhone and iPod (I am so used to using a remote) and perhaps one of either my MDR-EX85SL or my MDR-NC60 NC phones, much in the same way I currently use my arsenal of Sony MD/Hi-MD/NW-HD Walkmen.

One other question about them.... how many mW do they put out per channel, as to make for a smooth transition if I choose to go for one, and also which 160GB Classic has the best SQ, and which can be Rockboxed or have custom EQ capability, for the best possible sound?

With the overwhelming lineups from many companies of accessories and gear for them, I don't know if I should dive in headfirst or feet first and get one.

Also, how would the transition from SonicStage to iTunes be for me? of course I wouldn't be able to directly transfer my MD masters to an iPod or iTunes by tweaking the codecs in SonicStage (I currently use SS CP 4.2) from Atrac to either AAC or MP3 and freeing them up for use on any PMP.

Something tells me that I might have to burn CD-Rs of all of my MD compilatons (I own both a Sony MDS-E10 and HHB CDR-850 pro decks so won't have any hiccups in recording them) in order to use them with iTunes as opposed to SS.

What should I expect, myself being a bit naive on the subject of iPods?

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other question about them.... how many mW do they put out per channel, as to make for a smooth transition if I choose to go for one, and also which 160GB Classic has the best SQ, and which can be Rockboxed or have custom EQ capability, for the best possible sound?

Here's numbers I've seen for the various iPod line out voltages:
Quote:

3. Is the Line Out signal provided by the PocketDock a true Line Out?
Yes. It bypasses the iPod’s/iPhone’s internal amplifier, thus is the raw, unaltered signal.
The levels are as follows:
* 1G/2G/3G iPod nano: 0.700 Vrms (approx. -0.88 dBu)
* 4G/5G iPod nano, iPod classic: 0.800 Vrms (approx. +0.28 dBu)
* all other iPod and iPhone models: 0.900 VrmS (approx. +1.3 dBu)

I'm not sure what the standard consumer level line out Vrms is by their measurements. I thought -10 dBu was the standard for consumer gear which would mean a Vrms of about 0.25. I've seen 1 Vrms given as a standard voltage and that would give 1.3 dBu. The numbers confuse me. Good thing I'm not an audio engineer.

If I had a standard home component CD player, what would be the Vrms for its line out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back