ipod classic 7th gen specifics
Feb 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #77 of 120

Quote:
LOD is supposed to be bypassing the opamp. It is supposed to be the direct line out of the DAC chip itself. Based on the frequency response curves and personal listening, I would say the latest ipod classic is VERY worth buying unless you dont have a smartphone.
If you dont have a smartphone, I'd say ipod touch is way more worth it. Even in flac format, 64 gigs is way more than most need. Furthermore the added functionality of an ipod touch is well worth the extra money, especially because you can hack it to support FLAC if ALAC is somehow not your thing.
Personally I picked ipod classic over the ipod touch because
1) had an android device already
2) Ipod 5g was still alive and kicking since 2006 purchase
3) easily repairable/modable
4) massive support base for accessories
5) Disk mode
6) Future rockbox functionality
7) physical buttons make it operable in-pocket
8) very nice FR curves and statistics
9) No app/ads bullcrap to worry about. It does exactly what its supposed to: play music.

Hey shrimants, i read the majority of the comments here and even though its very ipod classic-centric I just wanted to ask about your opinion on the ipod touch's overall sound. 
I bought one just recently pretty much for the same reasons that you've touted, and the imessenger functionality was extremely useful. 

that said, although I love the features, I was appalled by the sound. I'm coming from a Sony A840 with a the mingo-amp (local amp produced by a hong kong company, which when i tried was a lot better at least for amp-age than any other fiio i tried, here's a link: http://www.mingo-hmw.com/home/goods.php?id=1858, srry you might need to translate), and with shure 315s and also on the a2. I've used the sony with and without line out (mostly headphone out because the lineout cable was a friend's) and ive always regarded the sound to be great. 

I dont have the amp with me right now, but what do you think about the sq of the touch? If I pair it up with an LOD (thinking of fiio l3) and maybe a cmoy (for now) + 315, do you think it'll sound nice? and how does lets say the ipod touch (latest gen) fare with lets say, an iphone4/classic/ nano? Thanks in advance anyways! 

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #78 of 120
First of all, sorry for the late reply. For whatever reason, the site is having weird notifications for subscribed threads. When I used to own the ipod touch, I was not using it with high end headphones. I only had bose on-ears. The bose on-ears sound most like Creative EP-630's. They have a very fun response, almost no clarity in the bass but plenty of bass quantity. Thus, I can only speak based on the specifications, which dont always tell the whole story.

Based on specs alone, though, the ipod touch's headphone jack has an almost perfectly flat output. If you use a higher impedance headphone, the low end roll off is VERY minimal. By low impedance, I mean below 30 ohms. The bose on-ears are around 38 ohms i believe, and they sounded just fine to my then untrained ears. I was only listening to 320kbps MP3 back then. The ipod touch has such a nice headphone output, as a matter of fact, that a headphone amp/LOD is pretty much unnecessary as long as you stay in that 30-80 ohm sweet spot. With an LOD it does have a perfectly flat response.

I would have gotten an ipod touch because of the features, form factor, and sound quality. However, since I had a smartphone for all my organizer/game/entertainment features, I went with ipod classic. I also went with the ipod classic because I used to have a 5g ipod that lasted me since 2005 or so, and although I had replaced the battery, the rest of the stock internals were still running very strong. My sister lost it otherwise I would have simply done the DIY imod and paired it with an LOD+Fiio E11.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #79 of 120
Someone should bring this new info to the attention of Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_models

I was under the impression that nothing had changed with the 'Classic' since 2009, when Apple made this momentous change:

In September 2009, the 120GB model was replaced with a 160GB model.

Since then, about the only excitement generated around the Classic here has been in relation to capacity and 3rd-party products that can bypass the (iDevice) DAC. I don't know if they still have a 'development team' for the iPod at Apple, but they must be taking a lot of flexi-time lately.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #81 of 120
I have the 1G (160 GB), last month gave a 2G (120 GB - I opened for hdd check) to my sister and changed sockets and hdd on 3G, exept cover they look the same, I mean the hardware layout - only the thinner are harder to open :) Main advantage of thinner is one platter hdd - if it drops to hard you can partition it and leave bad sectors out, of course you'll have to go back to OF

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #84 of 120
Quote:

Line out + Stepdance here.

The line out is very good, the headphone out less so especially with low impedance IEMs.

is stepdance just an amp or a dac/amp combo like the fostex hp-p1? i personally use it with fiio e17 and the e17 can only be an amp for my ipod, the dac is only available via usb and other modes, not aux.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #86 of 120
Quote:
The Meier Audio Corda Stepdance is just an amp and a very good one. It would be worth waiting until September when its latest successor, the Corda Quickstep, is released. It looks great.

i wonder how the sound quality will differ from ipod classic> stepdance/quickstep> headphone/iem and ipod classic> fostex hp-p1> headphone/iem. i notice the stepdance is like half the price of the hp-p1 but the hp-p1 will also bypass the ipod internal dac.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #87 of 120
Sorry, I have never heard the HP-P1. Speaking technically, It has neither the output impedance nor the balanced low volume control to be ideal for IEMs. 

I like the Classic as a source- more all the time. It is very clean.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #88 of 120
i have read the hp-p1 is an improvement over the internal dac, never listened to it myself though. what iem do you use? i used the etymotic research hf5 with it but i moved my hf5 to pair with my ipod shuffle 1st gen and now its my classic> fiio e17> beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohms/ sony z1000/ koss tbse1. also will send my fostex t50rp for a mad dog mod soon when i get money.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #89 of 120
I have been using the Westone ES5, before that the UE Triple-Fi 10, and now also the FAD Piano Forte IX. Good luck with your decision!

Edit: I don't want to derail this thread too much so I will answer the questions below here:
Of the included tips, I found the biflanges best with the TF10. I also like the Comply foam tips. I have the Beyer DT880 (600 ohm) as my main full size headphone.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #90 of 120
thank you :). i also own the tf10, i dont like the fit so it never gets much use though the sound is nice. which tip did you use? i havent used my tf10 for a long while but i had it on foam tips and that helped a little bit over the silicon tips in my opinion. and also i havent used iems for a while, i shifted my main focus to full sized headphones. do you use full sized headphones as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back