iPod classic 7th gen or ipod video 5, 5.5
Nov 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AudioJunki3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. So i ditched my Colorfly C3 and moved to the old iPods as they have space reliability and that much desired LOD. I have a 160GB 7th gen. And i love it except I hate the hard drive, I can hear it spinning, and i know their life isnt long. Also I have just bought an ipod video (5 or 5.5) not sue which one. off ebay. I plan to refurbish it. Ive just found out that I can add an SSD to the one i got off ebay. Which would be awesome as there is no moving parts, its also faster. so my question is should i sell the 7th gen and use the 5th gen with an SSD. Also is rockbox any good for these ipods?  Thanks

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 15
There is a long thread on this site about SSDs for the iPod Classic. The Toshiba/Samsung HDDs in the iPod Classic range are reliable and well designed drives but some fail. They are however easily and cheaply replaced. The iPod 5G was more hi-fi orientated then the 6/7G. Over the ear headphones aren't great with the later models. With earbuds/iems the later models have the significant advantages of capacity/battery life. The Wolfson dac on the 5G gave a better sound for hi-fi headphones at the expense of battery life. You can tell if your ebay purchase is a 5/5.5G by going into settings and looking for a search option. Only the 5.5G has search. SSDs give more durability are lighter and don't suffer access delay (this wasn't much of an issue with ipod HDDs). They are expensive however, especially at larger capacities.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 15
Ahh i see, i see significant access lag in my ipod classic and its new. Also i find the sound to be a bit harsh. Since my music collection is no more than 20gb i will buy a 32gb ssd on ebay for £30 which isnt bad really. I would be happy with that storage option, and maybe then sell it once the repair is done. Thanks for your reply.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 15
if you are not planning to upgrade the iPod 5g to a larger drive, why bother a ssd right now ? Just use the one you bought off eBay and rockbox it and enjoy! You can replace the HDD when it dies. With that said , 30gb is not much if you play lossless flac's.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 15
I got home today and opened the package, the hard drive was knackered. condition of the ipod was okay. Ive ordered a 32GB SSD and a new housing for the exterior, in total it came to £40. Which is okay for me if i can get a new looking ipod with SSD.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 15
It should arrive tomorrow, i will fix it up and post the results.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 15
The SSD arrived, installed it, restored in itune on mac, didnt work ( tried about 5 times) went downstairs to my mums PC restored it, worked fine. Took it back upstairs, plugged it back into my mac and it went back into disk mode. So i spent 3 hours trying to get it working again. To no avail, I'm buying a normal HDD when I can be bothered. The SSD i used was a Runcore 32GB 1.8" zif SSD (PATA) for those who are attempting this, that drive doesnt work.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
The SSD arrived, installed it, restored in itune on mac, didnt work ( tried about 5 times) went downstairs to my mums PC restored it, worked fine. Took it back upstairs, plugged it back into my mac and it went back into disk mode. So i spent 3 hours trying to get it working again. To no avail, I'm buying a normal HDD when I can be bothered. The SSD i used was a Runcore 32GB 1.8" zif SSD (PATA) for those who are attempting this, that drive doesnt work.

Sorry to hear that and hope you can return the drive. This is one of the reasons I stick to the hdd's for now before they fail on me.

I recommend this 120GB HDD for you and it will work as I did this 3 times. The price is the lowest for the same item from all eBay sellers. Good luck!

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 15
Nov 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Sep 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi Guys,

Need some help and advise from you. I recently exchanged my 1st gen Nano under replacement program (huge mistake) and did not like the 7th Gen Nano at all which I got as replacement. iPod Nano 7 sound quality is no where near 1st Gen. 1st Gen sound was having good Bass and Warmness in Sound but 7th Gen is missing them completely. I did little bit of research for this reason and came to know that Apple changed the Sound Chip from Nano 3rd Gen on-wards (and some model of Classic and Shuffle and also Touch and iPhone too). 

Can anyone ps suggest which one is the best iPod in terms of  sound quality? I have little confusion over Chip used in various iPods. Though, I used Nano 1st Gen and loved that. Shall I go for the same or anything else. Considering the small size, Nano 1st Gen is the best bet and I had that too. However, that is available at some more cost then 2nd Gen or iPod Classic. Now 2nd Gen has WM8975 Chip while 1st gen has WM8975G. I am not sure if they are both same or not. Also, Classic has WM87588 Chip. And one Classic model has WM8740 Chip. Does anyone has any clue which is the best option form them? Which Chip is The Best in terms of sound quality?

Or both Nano 1st and and Gen have same sound quality (which I experienced in Nano 1st Gen). Is iPod Nano 1st Gen sound is more Bassier and Warmer than 2nd Gen Nano? Or they are exactly same? iPod Nano 1st Gen has Walfson Sound Chip (WM8975G) while 2nd Gen has Wolfson WM8975. Are they both same or which one is better than other? It is same Number with 'G' at the end for 1st Gen Nano Chip.

Pls suggest how can I find the difference in these Chips as no document is available but if someone experienced that, pls advise. Thanks.

Regards,
Akash

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Hey Akarsh,

I'm not entirely sure about which Wolfson chip sounds better on the Nano, but I can offer up my experience, even though it doesn't overlay perfectly with your situation. Hopefully that will help you make a decision on your next move [if you haven't already].

I had an iPod Classic 6th Gen at 80GB. Like many people with that generation of iPod, the drive gave out on me one day at random - which I'm sure you've seen is both a cheap and easy fix, provided you have the know-how. However, as I began to research the best possible solution to fix my beloved device (had literally been everywhere from Carnegie Hall before a performance of mine all the way to Hawaii on a smooth jazz cruise), I decided to place it back in the original box as a keepsake. Why?. In my research on repairing it, I discovered a few things that were interesting.

The 5th and 5.5th Gen of iPod had a Wolfson DAC that was most friendly to higher end cans (like Sennheiser HD650, Shure SRH1540, although they would drain batteries and audio quality was not maximized). As it turns out (and anyone correct me if this information is inaccurate), Cirrus Logic purchased the technology from Wolfson and was contracted by Apple around 2006-2007 to integrate the new version in their line of iPods. The first DAC used in the original iPod Classic (better known as the 6th generation) had the poorest quality audio of any traditional iPod and did not have enough juice to power hi-fi cans at an enjoyable volume like it's predecessor. You'd have to use a custom amp, and even then, the sound was 'muddy' and 'dirty', even with FLAC (on Rockbox) or ALAC using the proprietary Apple firmware, which was version 1.2, I believe.

Now, how does all of this apply to you? Although I don't have any commensurate knowledge of the Nano line of DAC's, I do know that nearly any iPod (within it's own series) prior to 2006 had a superior sound to that of its successors. As you've [unfortunately] discovered, the new Nanos sound like garbage, no matter how you slice it. My guess is that the capacitors that work in conjunction with the DAC are very small in capacity - after all, that is one of the primary driving forces in sending a quality signal out to cans or speakers. If you research mods on iPods that can power hi-fi cans without an amplifer - which do, in fact, sound very respectable for a portable device - you'll likely find that soldering capacitors in line with the DAC fixes the issue. But, size is the primary concern with the newer Apple devices. Just look at the removal of the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7. With the newer Nano being shorter than previous generations that sounded halfway decent (4th and earlier, in my opinion), it's very likely that they cut down on the size of those capacitors. Check this link out (copy and paste for security <https://www.iflash.xyz/modding-audiophile-meets-ipod-diymod/>) to see a more detailed explanation of how the capacitor is integrated into the DAC and how tiny they actually are.

I would say in your case, to get back on track to listening to quality audio on the go, check out Amazon to find an iPod Video 5th, 5.5th, OR the iPod Classic 7th (160GB slim). Stay away from the other Apple iPods. Naturally, the Classic models get more expensive as you go up each generation, however, price is NOT a reflection of quality. It's a reflection of preference.

I have both the Video 5th Gen and the Classic 7th Gen. They both have an Apple OS, and they both only contain ALAC files from CD's that I own. I can listen to the same song on both iPods with flat EQ and they sound identical or completely different, depending on what kind of cans I have hooked up. For example, if I listen with my Bose Quietcomfort 2 or Sony MDR HW 700DS to a staple in metal grunge, Enter Sandman (Metallica), the 5th Gen reveals the merciless bass, while the 7th Gen does a better job of laying out the punch from the main riff. If I listened to both with Apple Earpods, they sound identical. For you, it's all a matter of choice. Personally, I prefer the 7th Gen, as I listen to songs that have more treble than bass and I enjoy being able to hear the instruments or singers individually as they fit within the ensemble. If I were a head-banging rocksmith or a dubstep aficionado, I'd have the 5th Gen by my side 24/7. It was said somewhere on this forum (I can't remember where) - the 7th gen has a more level-headed & precise playback while the 5th and 5.5th gen is more powerful with warmness as its base.

Ultimately, it's all in your preference.

Hope this helps!

-HL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back