ipod classic 160gb 7th gen
Oct 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m ali

New Head-Fier
hi guys am new in this awesome forum. this is my very 1st post so be kind to me
bigsmile_face.gif

since 1 year i've been using this website as i guide to by headphones, amps.....etc. i just used to search and read reviews about what ever am planning to buy and it has been good to me since then........until i bought the ipod classic (thin) 160gb.

i know sound quality is relative, whats bad for me might be good for others and am not an audiophile (actually i learned this word on this forum)........but i have been listening to music through headphones since the 80's (the golden days of sony walkman cassette players).
my point is i have very good ears. with that been said i've used ipod video 80gb 5th gen as my main audio player pretty much since it came and i loved it, as my music collection became bigger i had to buy the new 160gb classic which is recommended by many guys in this forum.
i have to say i was very very very disappointed. it doesnt sound even close to the old 5th gen video (my iphone 4 sounds better).
dont get me wrong, if you use the standard apple headphones you may not feel the difference but with m-50s or xb500 or shure 440 which am using then you will feel as there is a sort of manufacturer defect in the unit.

its not as clear as the old ipods, bass feels distorted not punchy, it really misses up my music (i use 320kbps).
i dont know is it me or is there a defect in my ipod?
is there anyway to improve the sound quality? i keep hearing about rockbox but i've never used it, does it improve the sound quality? or should i return the ipod and upgrade my old 5th gen to 160gb?

help is appreciated.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 7
well to answer my self and since no body responded.

yes i've installed rockbox in my ipod classic 160gb 7th gen and i will be using it for the rest of my life, its like having a mini recording studio audio mixer in your pocket, my ipod doesent even sound like an ipod anymore. right now i have my ipod and headphones on and i cant stop smiling.
i am so mad at my self for sleeping over rockbox for the past few years.
its a must have.......thanks head-fi.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
well to answer my self and since no body responded.

yes i've installed rockbox in my ipod classic 160gb 7th gen and i will be using it for the rest of my life, its like having a mini recording studio audio mixer in your pocket, my ipod doesent even sound like an ipod anymore. right now i have my ipod and headphones on and i cant stop smiling.
i am so mad at my self for sleeping over rockbox for the past few years.
its a must have.......thanks head-fi.

Hey, I'm interested in installing rockbox in my iPod 7G. From what I read on the website, its 'unusable'. Do you face any issues? Aren't a few features incomplete?

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 7
not at all. its a straight forward copy and paste files, takes about 5 min (after you download the latest version from rockbox web).
i have a 90gb of music stored in my 160gb 7th gen, been using it for a whole day and no problems, no crashing, no freezing, no skipping audio.all features are complete (just make sure you get the latest release).
you cant imagine the sound quality difference, if you didnt like it restore back to apple os.

i'll keep trying it for another day and let you know.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
not at all. its a straight forward copy and paste files, takes about 5 min (after you download the latest version from rockbox web).
i have a 90gb of music stored in my 160gb 7th gen, been using it for a whole day and no problems, no crashing, no freezing, no skipping audio.all features are complete (just make sure you get the latest release).
you cant imagine the sound quality difference, if you didnt like it restore back to apple os.

i'll keep trying it for another day and let you know.

Ok, just took a look at the rockbox site, it seems the battery charging is partially implemented. Other than that seems alright.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi..

Did you install Rockbox in the meantime on your ipod classic?
I don t see the ipod classic in the list of the ipods

Please drop me a line or mail to hansstam@kpnplanet.nl

thanks

Hans

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 7
rockbox for ipod classic is still "unusable port", thats why you cant use rockbox installer software.
instead you will have to install program called emcore "to replace the ipod original software" then manually copy and past rockbox "6th gen port" into you memory root.
just follow the instructions on this link:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort
dont worry, you will not wreck your ipod and if you dont like it you can always restore it using itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back