Ipod classic 120gig vs. Zune 120gig
Nov 8, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 38
Thanks GreatDane!!! Also, sorry to hear that you were banned, I wouldn't have said anything if I had an inkling of an idea about that!!!
Anyways, the SQ of the 2 iPods is so small between them, as to really have no discernible difference between the 2. No big enough to claim that the SQ of the classic is that much worse than the 5.5G.
I listened to my son's classic 80gb the other day w/my Pink Floyd The Wall conversion (FLAC to mp3 V1/Lame), I thought it sounded fantastic. It was through the HP out w/my HD212's (bass bombs), I loved it, as the SQ was fantastic. Guess it's all in the HP's for me. And, once again GreatDane, Thanks, and sorry for the bad reference.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #32 of 38
I would like to put my classical collection on a zune or an ipod. I am still trying to decide on which one I should get.

On the average how many CD's stored in lossless format will a 120g disk hold?

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to put my classical collection on a zune or an ipod. I am still trying to decide on which one I should get.

Lossy codecs like MP3 and AAC have typical bitrates of 128–256 kbps, so a 6-minute song is approx. 6 to 12 MB in size. With no compression, the same song would be about 60 MB.

Lossless codecs like FLAC and Apple Lossless might be around 30 MB for a 6-minute song.

So if you had a 72 minute CD the simple math will give you 360 MB, probably as a maximum. So lets say at least 3 CD's per GB. Actual drive space might be 112 or so on a 120 GB player. So maybe 340+ CD's if many are near capacity CD length. This is all just my simple dumb math.

I'm sure there are some people here who have their DAPs filled to capacity with lossless encoded CD's who could give a real world figure. I use lossy files on my iPods.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

I have 133 wma lossless encoded CDs on my Zune 120 so far & I have just a hair more than 80 gigs of storage space left . Based on the fact I've used about 1/3 of my space so far it looks like I could put close to 400 Lossless CDs on a Zune 120, maybe slightly less on an IPod as the Apple Lossless bit rate averages are slightly higher(I think, but I seem to recall it's pretty close). I suppose if you had a "small" collection of this size you could carry it around with you. Lossless sounds so good on my Zune I refuse to give up any of the detail just to put more on. It absolutely feasts on good labels like Channel Classics, Hyperion,Bis, Chandos,Hyperion,Helios,Reference Recordings,Lyrita,Dutton,Albany Records,Telarc & many other labels. I have another 120 & the first Zune that I bought an 80(at this point they all mirror each other as I have'nt decided how I want arrange the available folders on my hard drives)

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #35 of 38
Great Dan and Podtweaker thank you for your response to my storage size question.

I am still try to decide which one to get the Zune or the Ipod. From the headphones out will I be able to distinguish sound quality differences with my Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones?

If I amped the ipod out would I really hear the difference with my headohones? Supposedly the Audio Technica do not amp well. I really like my Audio Technica, classical music sound good on them.

Will the Zune or ipod give me better sound quality than my Sony PCDP? It is a cheap modern one from a year or two ago.

From the Zune Store or the ipod store can I buy lossless albums?

Thanks

Al

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Great Dan and Podtweaker thank you for your response to my storage size question.

I am still try to decide which one to get the Zune or the Ipod. From the headphones out will I be able to distinguish sound quality differences with my Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones?

If I amped the ipod out would I really hear the difference with my headohones? Supposedly the Audio Technica do not amp well. I really like my Audio Technica, classical music sound good on them.

Will the Zune or ipod give me better sound quality than my Sony PCDP? It is a cheap modern one from a year or two ago.

From the Zune Store or the ipod store can I buy lossless albums?

Thanks

Al

Just my opinion based on my experience: Question#1; I don't think either the Ipod or the Zune do particularly well w/ full size headphones(high impedence types anyway). I'm not familiar w/ ATs if they are easy to drive the Zune will easily sound better from the HP out. #2 Why did you exclude the Zune from amping. I amp mine ,sounds fantastic. I don't know what you mean by "do not amp well" are these portable or full size phones? Did you mean they are hard to drive? If this is what you meant this is one of the reasons you would add a portable amp to your setup. #3 I can't give you much help on that one except to say that on my Zune/Zen Head ZH1/Dennon AH-D5000 rig lossless classical music sounds great(I would have to concetrate very hard to find flaws w/ the playback sound, it's that good). #4 I don't believe you can get lossless downloads from iTunes or Zune Marketplace yet. Hope this helped.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 38
Podtweaker;4971775 said:
I don't know what you mean by "do not amp well" are these portable or full size phones? /QUOTE]

I read in other threads. People tried my brand of headphones with an amp and the could not hear the difference. It did not seem to improve sound quality.

I actually bought an ipod classic 120 yesterday - this is my first dap. I liked the itunes software better than the zune software. That is what convinced to get the ipod.

I ripped some cds using the the apple lossless format - I like the sound quality of the ipod and headphones. The ipod had no problem driving my headphones, which are full size. I think my headphones are easy to drive.

I guess I asked a lot of questions that confused people. Sorry about that. I am a total newbie with this stuff.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

I actually bought an ipod classic 120 yesterday - this is my first dap. I liked the itunes software better than the zune software. That is what convinced to get the ipod.

Good Job! Now take a picture and show it off.
biggrin.gif

I really wanted to try a Zune but that software would have drove me crazy I think.

Some people despise iPods and iTunes but for me they're a perfect combination that make my music addiction so much easier. I sync and add music very often so for me I need the process to be super easy.

Lovin' it...
2573944200044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

ER4P & 120 Classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back