Ipod classic 120gig vs. Zune 120gig
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done it in the past (but not for a long time) and it didn't seem to make that much of an impression, but I will give it a second try. I have a couple of decent mini to mini cables. I'll do a comparo. It's just that the Zune HP out sounds so nice, I like the simplicity. But with the iPods, especially the 5.5g, the LOD the amp/LOD takes it to another level. I will say, though, that the HP out on the Touch 2G is also very good, nearly as smooth, clean and robust as the Zune.

Anyway, thanks. I will give it a listen.

When it comes to the OP's question, I think the 120 Zune is the right choice if no amp is part of the mix, especially because it offers a much better overall experience, with video, FM, etc.

I agree, it's more of a full featured DAP, total package as it were.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 38
I just bought a 7G iPod and considered the Zune. I will admit to never having heard a Zune. I have too many things that work with iPod and I wouldn't want to lose the ease of iTunes.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a 7G iPod and considered the Zune. I will admit to never having heard a Zune. I have too many things that work with iPod and I wouldn't want to lose the ease of iTunes.

Those are 2 very good points, as the i pods all have a very vast array of accessories, the Zune only a handful, and iTunes, as I mentioned, is TIGHT!!!
L3000.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

I've also bought a 7G ipod recently and enjoying it immensely. It was a pain converting all my FLAC to ALAC though. However, it's done and I guess I'll have to stick with an iPod for a while as I don't want the hassle of converting my music collection again.

I was a little irked when I read that the 6G/7G iPod classic switched away from the Wolfson DAC chip. People have been reporting a loss of audio quality with the new DAC chip. Any head-fiers have personal comparisons between the 5G/5.5G ipods and the newer classics?

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also bought a 7G ipod recently and enjoying it immensely. It was a pain converting all my FLAC to ALAC though. However, it's done and I guess I'll have to stick with an iPod for a while as I don't want the hassle of converting my music collection again.

I was a little irked when I read that the 6G/7G iPod classic switched away from the Wolfson DAC chip. People have been reporting a loss of audio quality with the new DAC chip. Any head-fiers have personal comparisons between the 5G/5.5G ipods and the newer classics?

I've read about the switch of DAC chips. I haven't had time to critically compare my 5.5G & 7G yet. This weekend I hope to compare with ER4P using HP out then slap my Pico to LO and try my '03 DT-880. I do like the newer interface with 7G.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

I've read about the switch of DAC chips. I haven't had time to critically compare my 5.5G & 7G yet. This weekend I hope to compare with ER4P using HP out then slap my Pico to LO and try my '03 DT-880. I do like the newer interface with 7G.

Cool, looking forward to reading your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 38
Same here GreatDane, since I consider your opinion valid!!! (TheDarkSide here from ABI!!)

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here GreatDane, since I consider your opinion valid!!! (TheDarkSide here from ABI!!)

I will post impressions. Yes, did see you at ABI...until I was banned.
very_evil_smiley.gif

darthsmile.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

I will post impressions. Yes, did see you at ABI...until I was banned.
very_evil_smiley.gif

darthsmile.gif

They do seem like a pretty conservative group over there. I posted a thread asking about whether anyone knew if anyone had attempted to convert the Zune headphone out jack to a line-out jack & one of the responses was "Why the heck would you want to do that?" This was from one of the moderators! I don't think the mindset ("mindset", there's a word that never fails to entertain) over there is anywhere near as progressive as it is over here. (Even though I still have'nt gotten any further with my question, I've come across a lot of other good information, & hopefully passed some on.) Sorry to butt in, but this makes us drinking buddies now, you're buying of course 'cause I'm broke after buying all the good stuff we talk about here(I'm also long winded! a couple drinks & I'll be quiet)
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #26 of 38
lol
dt880smile.png

Yes, well...I didn't take kindly to being called a moron by the administrator on the open forum...oh yeah, and a troll too. Was he having a bad day or is that standard treatment of members?? I wasn't a member for long and I don't miss it.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #27 of 38
I just did a quick 30 minute comparison between my 5.5G & 7G.

IMG_2033.jpg

First thing was ER4P straight from HP out.I used my reference Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue"...although I did not take the time to rip to lossless from the SACD it was VBR mp3 at 245+. So shoot me.

First thing I noticed was a higher noise level with 7G, actually higher in the right channel. Overall I heard very little difference in sound. The claim is a slightly warmer, less bright sound with 5.5G and I'll agree with that...if I actually did hear that it was not by much.

I then used LO to Pico with DT-880. Well, the first thing that hit me was how bright the 880 is compared to ER4, recessed mids and all. Still I didn't hear much difference. True...I did do this at 3 AM but I did have a 5 hour nap.

That concludes my exhausting review
beyersmile.png
lol

Bottom line for me is that both iPods are keepers.

IMG_2040.jpg

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iPod 5g 30 gig that I have no plans on getting rid of any time soon. I haven't really heard many other portables to make a true comparison, but I know that once I start using the line out with an amp, the sound should improve dramatically. I'm also planning on doing the DIY version of Red Wine Audio's iMod. However, the DIY version I found disables the headphone jack, so I'd have to get a second player as my "portable" mp3 player, and keep the modded iPod for use with an amp at work, and at other locations where it's practical to setup a headphone amp.

the DIYMOD on the 5g doesn't disable the HP out; at least not the one I did. it may as well though because I never use it. if I want to go fully portable I just use the great HP out on my iphone 3G. if you've got the skills and a spare ipod I totally recommend the DIYMOD; it takes listening to a whole other level; especially with a pico
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

I just did a quick 30 minute comparison between my 5.5G & 7G.

IMG_2033.jpg

First thing was ER4P straight from HP out.I used my reference Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue"...although I did not take the time to rip to lossless from the SACD it was VBR mp3 at 245+. So shoot me.

First thing I noticed was a higher noise level with 7G, actually higher in the right channel. Overall I heard very little difference in sound. The claim is a slightly warmer, less bright sound with 5.5G and I'll agree with that...if I actually did hear that it was not by much.

I then used LO to Pico with DT-880. Well, the first thing that hit me was how bright the 880 is compared to ER4, recessed mids and all. Still I didn't hear much difference. True...I did do this at 3 AM but I did have a 5 hour nap.

That concludes my exhausting review
beyersmile.png
lol

Bottom line for me is that both iPods are keepers.

IMG_2040.jpg

Wow, you were able to listen "Cafe Blue" for 30mins? Willingly? Do they keep records of this sort of accomplishment? I had purchased this SACD ,but never really openned it up to listen to it. One day I was at an audio dealer listening to somethings & comparing some Burwen Bobcatted CDs that I ripped & burned to the actual SACDs. I had brought my Laptop in w/me so the dealer asked if I could rip & burn a copy of "Cafe Blue" so we could give a listen. When we started listening I remember thinking "Well, that's kind of interesting, when are the other musicians going to start playing? They must have gone on break . OK , the music is going to start anytime now! I'll bet the recording engineer thinks he's pretty slick getting this sound ! " A little too sparse for my taste. The dealer commented that he really didn't care for the recording that much either, but it was a good demo disc! We both had a pretty good laugh at that one. Does the music get any more interesting further on the disc? I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins makes so many different flavors! I can't decide if I'm less impressed with the music on this disc or "Jazz at the Pawnshop". Great recording, lukewarm music. It was a real shame about the music on "Jazz at the Pawnshop" because the sound from the vinyl version was jaw dropping good!

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #30 of 38
I'm less than thrilled with the music of Jazz At The Pawnshop also.

As for Cafe Blue, I can't listen to track 6 "Wood Is A Pleasant Thing To Think About". That song causes muscle spasms.lol

The 3 tracks from Cafe Blue that I use are:

1. What A Shame
8. Ode To Billy Joe
9. Too Rich For My Blood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back