iPod charger cable only?
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
I think I have this right but I am going to check. I am trying to make a usb charger cable only for the ipod. This semester I will be in front of the computer about 4-6 hours a day. I am going to use a dock to prop up me ipod so I can see it when watching movies. So I need a charger.

If I am going this right, I can use on the usb side pin 1 for +5vdc and ground on pin 4. On the dock side I will use pin 23 for +5vdc and pin 16 for ground.

Also how acurate does the voltage need to be? Lets say that I have a mini3 and I can use the longer case. Can I step down the voltage from the 9v battery and put a usb out on the back to charge the iPod?

Thanks

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I think a cool thing would be to have a WALL charger only. i.e. no annoying usb adaptor wall plug, using your existing cable, but a dedicated wall wart with an iPod dock connector instead of a barrel.

But I think I'm all alone on this, lol.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 7
It's been done
smily_headphones1.gif
I've made one for my car and used firewire, just took an 7812 regulator and wired the iPod pins. It also had RCA outs.

Oh, that reminds me, I've gotta toss that on the FS forums with a car integration kit.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Firewire I believe is 12v so this would not work for me. I am wanting to get the power from the computer's usb at my workstation. Will there be any problems since I will be running into a dock and then into the iPod?

Also they keep the power plugs unavailable, so I can not use a wall charger.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 7
You could step down some voltage with a 7805 for usb (instead of 7812 for FW), but you may need to pull the data lines on the usb high or low depending on which iPod you have to initiate the charge. I have a Classic (6G) 80gig and I have both data lines pulled high with a 560k resistor.
Like this:
Code:

Code:
[left]GND ----------------------- iPod - PWR ----------------------- iPod + D+ ------\ / --[560k]--/ D- ------/[/left]

There was some discussion on this in the MintyBoost forum at ~ ladyada's tea party ~ :: View Forum - MintyBoost , including different configurations for charging different iPods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back