iPod, amp or no?
Jun 5, 2005 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ls1powah

New Head-Fier
I've got a 3G iPod 15GB. I also have a pair of KSC-35s. I was just thinking of running them straight from the headphone jack. However, I just discovered the PocketAmp2 v2. It seems mighty cheap. But, purchasing that and a sik ram din to go with it will cost some money.

Will it be worth it? I don't see Etys or Shures in my future. Possibly only a pair of MX400/450 or MD33s. When I want something less conspicious. (I know this is nothing compared to all those who wear full sized headphones in the subway)

Cliff Notes:
3G iPod + KSC-35s now
Add to sik ram din+pocketamp2v2?
Significant sound difference? how about with MD33s or MX400? (doubtful)

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 10
welcome to headfi.

with those headphones, I can't imagine an improvement in sound. The KSC-35s are fun little phones, but I think an amp would be more useful for when you upgrade to something that demands more power, such as Ety's, Shure, other IEMs, or full-sized cans.

If you're looking for other headphones that might be an improvement over your Koss, head up to the headphones subforum and maybe take a look at the Senn PX100/PX200s, Grado 60s, or Even Beyerdynamic DT-231s for some unamped phones.

In short, you don't need an amp yet, so save up, and when you can, consider some better cans and then an amp.

Good luck, and enjoy the site.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Well just my opinion, it seems a bit silly to spend $80 or so on an amp and lineout cable that you're going to be using with headphones that cost less than half that price. A while back I got the Total Airhead and imp and were using them with my iPod and SR-225s and the difference was pretty negligible between that setup and the headphone out. I wouldn't worry about the amp and would save the money for some better headphones.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Cliff Notes:
3G iPod + KSC-35s now
Add to sik ram din+pocketamp2v2?
Significant sound difference? how about with MD33s or MX400? (doubtful)

I don't know about the MD33 or MX400 but the MX500 series sound like crap and sound even worse than crap when amped. I returned the mx500 in the same hour I bought them.

With my 4G ipod + Pa2v2 + KSC35 the difference is very subtle at lower volumes but becomes more easily distinguishable as you turn the volume up. The ksc35 is more fun with the amp, but only appreciable at higher volumes.

Is it worth the money? Probably not. I would use the amp because I already have it, but I wouldn't go out and specifically buy it for the ksc35.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kschul2
Well just my opinion, it seems a bit silly to spend $80 or so on an amp and lineout cable that you're going to be using with headphones that cost less than half that price. A while back I got the Total Airhead and imp and were using them with my iPod and SR-225s and the difference was pretty negligible between that setup and the headphone out. I wouldn't worry about the amp and would save the money for some better headphones.

$80 for $30 headphones is silly for you??? People pair up the $30 Koss KSC-35 with the $400 Ray Samuels SR-71!

IMO, the KSC-35 really get better with an amp. I'd say go for the amp.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 10
The only reason I'm afraid of the Etys and Shures are the isolation. Yes, too *much* isolation. I'd be outside walking, running, on the bus. I want to be alert of my surroundings, but not bothered by it.

But that's another thread.

Thanks for your opinions. I guess the Pocketamp is a funky little thing!

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

People pair up the $30 Koss KSC-35 with the $400 Ray Samuels SR-71!

I can hear why! Paired with the sr71, it's like the ksc35s are posessed !!
etysmile.gif
They don't sound like $30 earphones at all.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't own the KSC phones in question here, but based on the theory of upgrading that states that you make changes first from the source on down to the transducer (loudspeaker or headphones) I would say that an amp such as the Pocket Amp 2 would be a positive addition to the listening experience. I wouldn't recommend going all out on an amp before picking up more sophisticated phones, but the Pocket Amp is modestly priced and will likely make a difference with what you have. Not knowing your phones, I generically suspect you would hear a more powerful sound with more apparent extension on the low and high frequency extremes. When you do upgrade your phones an amp will become more justified, the PA2 will still be a worthy amp until you may find a need to upgrade it, if at all.

Any decent amp relieves the source player from having to do its own amplification and in the case of a source player with line-outs, will entirely bypass the source device's amp section which is often its weakest part. For the modest cost of an amp such as a Pocket Amp, I suspect the benefits would justify the expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back