iPod + AlgoRhythm Solo Combo Question
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 22
Great - I guess you are holding off on the JH3-A too ? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lets face it - you could spend 2K on a 'top tier' portable rig several times over, and very few people are going to be in a position to say categorically that 'X is better than Y' - even the reviewers rarely have everything at their fingertips at the same point in time.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 22
Not really that interested in the 3A given the battery life is non-existent and you're tied to using the JH16s. The crossover thing is a nice idea... for BA IEMs though. After owning an S:Flo2 I'd be keen to take another step up while improving the user experience (which is why these iPod transport/DACs seem like such a good idea)... as said in another thread though, I may try something like a 602 out (w/Rockbox) to see what the fuss is about, then I should be in a position to decide which high end route is for me. Need to get my customs first of course... another couple of payslips to go!

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 22
Tied to the JH16s ? That was the earlier edition/prototype - word on the streets is that the connection is now via an adapter. Surprised to hear anyone with the SFLO:2 complain about battery life - that is one area where Apple really got their act together.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 22
Just wanted to sneak in and say thanks for all the contribution/ discussion on here!

If anyone is interested in my response to all the kind suggestions... I've heard of Fostex's option as well for iDevices, but simply thought the former (iDevice + Solo) would be more "future-proof" and more flexible. But I assume from the direction of the on-going discussion that I can say - without a doubt - that SQ of any other brand (Cowon)/platform (Android) can't compete with these setups?

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
Just wanted to sneak in and say thanks for all the contribution/ discussion on here!

If anyone is interested in my response to all the kind suggestions... I've heard of Fostex's option as well for iDevices, but simply thought the former (iDevice + Solo) would be more "future-proof" and more flexible. But I assume from the direction of the on-going discussion that I can say - without a doubt - that SQ of any other brand (Cowon)/platform (Android) can't compete with these setups?

That lines up with my understand, but that is based entirely on what I have read. Depending on your music/listening habits, it will all come down to the VFM equation - personally, I wouldnt be trying to use any of the more expensive options in a portable environment, and that is exactly where the other players come into their own with the right headphones.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 22
Even that was better than the 3A the last time I looked at it (and the Hifiman players). Using the CLAS or Fostex knocks down the battery life considerably too, as the USB transfer drains a lot of power compared to just using the thing regularly.

Quote:
Tied to the JH16s ? That was the earlier edition/prototype - word on the streets is that the connection is now via an adapter. Surprised to hear anyone with the SFLO:2 complain about battery life - that is one area where Apple really got their act together.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 22
Well, I've heard a few iPods and iPhones, Sony players etc, and IMO my S:Flo2 was much nicer. If the Fostex and CLAS get to this level or better, I'd be very happy.

Android has potential as USB DACs wouldn't need any kind of licensing fee to extract the data and would no doubt cost a lot less... I'm sure there will eventually be high end options there, but until it's activiated within Android and can be used, it's just talk.

I'm interested in hearing the Hifiman players, especially now they are being Rockboxed. There are a few people on here who've heard CLAS setups and the 801 and prefer the latter.

I like the CLAS for the same reasons as you. I'd like to see if I can hear a few of these things first before buying, perhaps at the next UK meet.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back