iPod 5G 30GB - £50 - Good deal in 2012?
May 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Perplexed

Head-Fier
Hi,

I picked up an old 5th Gen iPod (30GB) for £50 which is apparently in "very good" condition.

Is this worth it, still, in 2012, or should I return it and save for a proper classic?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Unless you really really want to, just stick with the 5G. Most people, including myself, think that the 5G's are superior to the newer classics. The 5G's are easily upgradable (new battery/hard drive, etc) and you can rockbox them which unleashes the full potential of the iPod (Support for FLAC, etc). The 5G's also have the "legendary" Wolfson DAC where the newer classics have the Cirris Logic DAC. People debate the superiority of the Wolfson DAC but personally, I think my 5G sounds much warmer and cleaner and than my Nano 4G (which uses a Cirrus Logic DAC) so I would agree that the Wolfson DAC is superior. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Unless you really really want to, just stick with the 5G. Most people, including myself, think that the 5G's are superior to the newer classics. The 5G's are easily upgradable (new battery/hard drive, etc) and you can rockbox them which unleashes the full potential of the iPod (Support for FLAC, etc). The 5G's also have the "legendary" Wolfson DAC where the newer classics have the Cirris Logic DAC. People debate the superiority of the Wolfson DAC but personally, I think my 5G sounds much warmer and cleaner and than my Nano 4G (which uses a Cirrus Logic DAC) so I would agree that the Wolfson DAC is superior. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks :) When you say I can upgrade the hard drive - where can I get one from in the UK which will be 'legit' and not some used one which has been repackaged?

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks :) When you say I can upgrade the hard drive - where can I get one from in the UK which will be 'legit' and not some used one which has been repackaged?

I know you're able to get them off ebay. Just check the seller's feedback and see that they sell legit parts. Specific retailers I am unsure of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back