Ipod 5 gen, Zune or Zen Vision M
Apr 3, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #31 of 38
Legbone, let me know how the zune sounds with the hornet when you get it. I think I may get an amp.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 38
i'm on the waiting list until this summer for the hornet (part supply problem) but i can tell you that my zune sounds great with my little dot micro tube. you just have to buy a mini to rca adapter. i swear to god i hear the picks hitting the strings on "about a girl" by nirvana off of their mtv unplugged album. can't go wrong with the zune now that they fixed the slowness and skipping with the 1.3 firmware upgrade. not to mention you don't have to pay 99 cents a song. you just pay 45 dollars or so every three months for all the music you want. not everything is available on the marketplace though. also if you let your subscription expire, you don't have the music anymore unless you resort to some shady (he he) methods that can be found on the zunescene forums.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you describe "robust" for me? oh, and my current headphones are KSC 75; UR 40; and JVC FX 33

That is a good question. The bass is very solid but also the mids are just more "there" i.e. things like voice, guitar (both acoustic and electric.), drums, just seem to have more realism. The Zune does better with all types of music. I was listening to the Who's "Live at Leeds" and could easily hear the windings on John Entwhistle's bass strings but also hear more of the nuances of Nora Jone's piano and voice. The Zune is not "bright" but delivers the musical detail without the harshness that lesser players present. The Zune is a good match for the newer Sennheiser PX 100s and the Grado SR 60s although of course the sound is quite different with each. I have read that others like the result with better IEM phones. In short, Microsoft/Toshiba have made a good music player. Don't let the poor sales fool you.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by legbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm on the waiting list until this summer for the hornet (part supply problem) but i can tell you that my zune sounds great with my little dot micro tube. you just have to buy a mini to rca adapter. i swear to god i hear the picks hitting the strings on "about a girl" by nirvana off of their mtv unplugged album. can't go wrong with the zune now that they fixed the slowness and skipping with the 1.3 firmware upgrade. not to mention you don't have to pay 99 cents a song. you just pay 45 dollars or so every three months for all the music you want. not everything is available on the marketplace though. also if you let your subscription expire, you don't have the music anymore unless you resort to some shady (he he) methods that can be found on the zunescene forums.

Cool, thats good to know. I can't believe the sound out of the zune! And if you can hear that kind of clarity, thats insane...oh and thats for the 'shady' tips.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #35 of 38
hmm.. i guess the zune will blow my sansa out of the water then...

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 38
Have not tried ZUNE.

Between ZEN and iPod I chose ZEN primarily for its:
-very good sound quality
-customizable EQ
-subscription services support - $1.20 for DRM free EMI track on iTunes is just a rip off!
-navigation

I know many people got this idea about the iPod circle being the perfect shape for navigation. But linear navigation like on ZEN or cross-like on Toshiba makes more sense to me. Context menu button that works like the mouse right click on the ZEN is very good as well.

So ZEN for the time being, maybe ZUNE later.

ZUNE owners - does this player have customizable EQ or presets only?
What about MTP support, was this added already?

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 38
^^ presets only. 8 in total is you count "none" as preset.
No MTP support, so no WMP 11. I think MTP support is not needed. They need to add UMS capability. Not drag'n drop, just a simple way to use the Zune as removable HDD.

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #38 of 38
heres an update on my situation - my windows crashed, and i am running only Linux now, so the Zune is out. I was thinking about an iaudio X5l or X5 60 gb, or a Rockbox-ed iriver h10 20gb. Im leaning towards the X5 myself. Just shout out suggestions please!!!

im looking for lots of storage, color screen, FLAC support, and good SQ through the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back