iPod 3G Compact Flash Mod
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #79 of 107
I've done this mod to my 3G, 4G and 5.5G iPod and all use 128GB SD Cards. It's a great mod. I also have a 2G iPod Classic that I will do this mod to if I could somehow get iTunes to see the 2G as an iPod. Still no luck.

Anyhow, have you tried formatting it to FAT32? Maybe iTunes is already doing this. Have you tried transfering small batches of songs?

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #81 of 107
hi tried both of those things
thanks for the links i'm starting to think it's my microSD card and how it's formatted after looking at those links
i'll try and get on a windows machine to follow those steps exactly

i did get it working well for a while by copying all the hidden files off the root of another working 4g clickwheel
until eventually iTunes decided it was corrupt and needed to be restored again
so i think it's the sdcard not the firmware at this point
thanks for the help 

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #83 of 107
OK! 
so i've been going round in circles with this thing and tried everything
as a last ditch i tried restoring it on my Hackintosh downstairs
it still gave the 1429 error after restoring BUT it is now WORKING!
there are a few variables at play here my Hackintosh is running iTunes 10 and is still on snow leopard 
my macbook is running iTunes 11 and is on Mavericks
my gut says that the iTunes 11 is the problem?
happy enough to just use the hackintosh to sync my music if that's what it takes
hope this helps someone else out
thanks above for the help!

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #85 of 107
ha 
spoke too soon
same problem is back
after about three normal syncs no songs turn up on the ipod
and then the next time you plug it in itunes wants to restore it
sigh
i feel like the mircroSD card just isn't up to snuff

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #87 of 107
Nice, but why a Micro SD and not just a regular SD card now? You can get a 128GB SD card cheaper now days.

$95 128GB Compact Flash Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7N0W6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

$54 128GB SD Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SGCO3E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #88 of 107
I went with microSD because I had a spare 64gig one sitting in my top drawer along with the old click wheel
The point of the project was to use bits lying around now that I'll probably buy another sd card the micro doesn't make the best sense money wise

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #89 of 107
What size ipod did you do this mod on? I have a 20GB and the case is too thin, the ipod won't close with the adapter in place.

The first adapter is the same as your image, I clipped the solder points on the back, clipped the and soldered the jumper, works fine, but obviously useless if the back of the ipod doesn't fit on. Second adapter, ipod fits together fine, but displays a folder and exclamation mark, so doesn't work.

20141020_013907_zpsajrkmfxg.jpg

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #90 of 107
bobob123,
I've recently had success with the adapter on the left in your picture. The key is that you simply can't perform the initial restore in iTunes with a Mac. You have to use a Windows machine on USB 2.0 to restore and reformat the iPod for initial use. Format the card beforehand as FAT32 and Windows will recognize it in iTunes as a new iPod. Mac will do this too, but clicking Restore had no effect and the iPod would not boot.

I am not sure why your case doesn't fit. I didn't have to clip the jumpers or solder anything and the 20 GB case fits fine for me.

I'm using this adapter (Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter) with this SD card (Komputerbay 128GB SDXC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back