ipod 160 classic battery not holding a charge, anyone else?
Oct 15, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
ever since I updated my ipod to 1.0.2 my battery dies quick..like i mean you get one short use out of her then nothing. it happened twice where I would charge the ipod fully then pull it out to listen to music. use it for a few hours and shut it off only to find the unit dead next time i try to use it.

I guess i am driving down to apple tomorrow, anyone else have any idea what they will say? like are they going to be pricks about it or what?

anyone else getting this or heard of this?

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 14
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I took my fully charged ipod on a trip to the city and, after using it for only a few hours, I was looking at a depleted battery and a dying ipod.
The funny thing was that the battery meter would jump between 'completely dead' and 'pale green' bar as soon as it approached either end of that scale.

So, what I did afterwards was: I tested my ipod to find out if the battery was bad, or if it simply was the case of a battery meter needing a reset. I completely drained it of all the remaining juice and let it sit there for a few hours for one complete charge cycle.
I then proceeded to run it full blast in Shuffle mode playing ALAC encoded songs (which means it must use the hard drive more frequently), connected to my Senn HD25-II's (not particularly easy to drive compared to my E500's, so the load was about 50% greater than it would've been in normal use) until it ran out of juice again.

Well, it lasted about 24 hours nonstop this time - which was about what I had expected. So, maybe try to do what I did and see if it helps before returning yours.

P.S. I did have a case of waking up to a completely drained battery on my ipod even though it had been shut down for the night. It happened once, soon after I bought it and hasn't happened since. Needless to say, I'm going to continue monitor the battery behavior for any abnormalities that might pop up.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Go over to ilounge and you will see there is a lot of discussion with this being a problem since the 1.02 update. I have had it happen to me as well - leave it plugged in over night to find the battery drained in the morning.

Add it to the considerable list of Classic faults I guess.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go over to ilounge and you will see there is a lot of discussion with this being a problem since the 1.02 update. I have had it happen to me as well - leave it plugged in over night to find the battery drained in the morning.

Oh great! This will be just like my Motorola Razer! I've got a 160 waiting for me in Florida, which I'll pick up in a couple of weeks when I make it back up.

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yelp seems to be an issue with the Software. I made an appointment with the Genius bar and i will be in the neighborhood anyway so if they deem this as the main problem then i will ask if there is anyway i can get them to install 1.1.1 software.

my friend called me and had the same problem with his, Apple just gave him a new ipod and said "this should fix it". he has not had any problem with the new software since...

ever since the software update i had more issues with my ipod also. the computer does not find it, it take 5mins to eject, when it ejects the ipod is not on itunes anymore (before it was), the cover flow seems to do different filing each time i use it (this is really pissing me off), when playing a song it will gap randomly in the middle (like pulse then start again), going to cover flow in or out will freeze up for a few seconds...etc etc

I love new technology! but honestly i expected some issues but the battery and random cover flow i don't like..well yeah of course.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 14
I've never had a problem with customer service. I had to return a g3, and g4 and I always left a happy camper. Glad to hear you got what you needed.

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 14
I had the same battery drain problem with my Classic 160 after upgrading to 1.0.2 firmware. I discovered that sometimes when browsing coverflow the harddisk did not spin down anymore. Thus a full charge could be lost in 2-3 hours. As those disks are not designed for continuous use they will die soon even if Apple comes up with a software solution. As I have the right to return the product for full refund it is going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back