iphone vs macbook sound
Aug 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

New Head-Fier
first of all , i am no expert, but I've heard music from the iPhone and also played music through the macbook.
i feel the music is much more lively, louder and more power...as compared to the iPhone.
Is that the DAC or iPhone requires an amp?

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Well, this probably belongs in portable source gear or audio listening forums, but whatever 
deadhorse.gif

I have noticed the exact opposite actually, my iphone sounds great and clear, while my 2009 mac book pro has a slight, very low sounding fuzzy noise. I am not sure if this is impedance mismatching or internal noise, but it's enough to almost force me to get a USB DAC...
I don't quite get your question though, are you asking if the iPhone needs an amp? for portable headphones, the answer is no, the iphone doesn't NEED an amp to power IEMs and Portable headphones to great levels of volume. For more liveliness? maybe 
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I have a 2010 macbook (from my school) and an ipod touch. With the macbook, the internal amp hisses a lot with 16ohms low impedance iems, a problem not present on my ipod. I sometimes listen to my music at the 1 bar with the itunes volume slider moved all the way to the left. When I do that, the hissing gets almost as loud as the music itself (rough estimate of it being 10db quieter) But the internal amp on the macbook is a lot more powerful compared to the ipod, and should be fine with 64ohm cans 
atsmile.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 12
it sounds more lively on the macbook compared to iphone.
the iphone 4 sounds more weak and dull....
what i am asking is...
is that the DAC affecting it? or is it because macbook has a more powerful amp which makes the sound more louder, crisp and lively...

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 12
My iphone sounds well like an ipod (which is not a good thing to me), but my MBP 2009 sounds good no hissing or anything. It sounds much better than my HP desktop. I actually like how it sounds with IEMs they do sound "lively" 

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Those two possibilities are basically the same thing. Yes, the macbook is larger and has more power going through it, so it's likely to have better audio chips, so it sounds better.

Quote:
is that the DAC affecting it? or is it because macbook has a more powerful amp which makes the sound more louder, crisp and lively...

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 12
ok...my question really is..
how can i improve my sound?
should i ditch the iphone and go with a cowon d2, which i DO alreayd own,...im jus using the iphoen for portability...which having to carry two devices.

or should i add a dac or amp to the iphone?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
first of all , i am no expert, but I've heard music from the iPhone and also played music through the macbook.
i feel the music is much more lively, louder and more power...as compared to the iPhone.
Is that the DAC or iPhone requires an amp?

That's my experience as well between an iPhone 4 (and pretty much any mainstream MP3 player) and my late 2008 MBP. The MBP amp is indeed stronger, but I feel the DAC is also responsible in parts. Even when amping the iPhone 4, it keeps its slightly thin but detailed sound, maybe the consequence of using the Cirrus Logic DAC ? - Although it's possible my MBP uses a Cirrus as well.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 12
I'd worry more about getting better headphones to be honest. That will make the most improvement. I used the headphone socket of whatever Mac I owned for 15 years before I came here and after all I've been through, that is what I wish I had done first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back