Iphone to speaker amp
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Kylemcg

Head-Fier
Right now I just upgraded my speakers, and I used to use an onkyo receiver, and. I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable to play from my phone. My receiver isn't powerful enough to really get my speakers going, so I want to upgrade to a 1800 watt rms amp, I mainly plan on using my phone to play music, so could I use a 3.5mm to XRC cable so I don't have to use a pre-amp. Is this possible, I don't want to have to buy a 400$ pre amp

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 31
you can do it using the headphone volume control, but I don't think you'll like it.  The headphone output was designed for the impedance load of headphones, not amplifiers.  the sound that way is typically less dynamic.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 31
does the onkyo have pre-amp outputs?  if so, take the pre-amp outputs into a new amp.  that'll solve the problem.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 31
Right now I just upgraded my speakers, and I used to use an onkyo receiver, and. I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable to play from my phone. My receiver isn't powerful enough to really get my speakers going, so I want to upgrade to a 1800 watt rms amp, I mainly plan on using my phone to play music, so could I use a 3.5mm to XRC cable so I don't have to use a pre-amp. Is this possible, I don't want to have to buy a 400$ pre amp

What make/model speakers do you have now?

If you upgrade to a newer model receiver, you can get one that has Apply Airplay and have it wirelessly connect to your iPhone. No need for cables :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 31
....so I want to upgrade to a 1800 watt rms amp...

So there's no way to run a powered signal from my iphone 5 into just an amp, I'd need a preamp...

As mentioned the headphone output is designed primarily for earbuds and IEMs, maybe  some high-sensitivity headphones - it's not the same as a preamp just because it has a volume control.

...I mainly plan on using my phone to play music...

... I also have a Fiio e7 amp+dac if that would be able to do anything?

The E7 meanwhile only has a lineout with the L7 adapter, not a preamped output, and I don't think the iPhone can use the E7 as a DAC - it can use it as an amp but what you need is to get the sound into the receiver or a preamp.

---

What else is in your set-up anyway? What receiver is that and what speakers, also is it dedicated 2ch or 5ch? Because 1800watts RMS even if its powering a 5ch system is is any one of these: 1) an overkill 5ch HT amp, 2) an overkill PA system 2ch amp, or a 3) ****ty amplifier so full of crap it claims that much output on the cheap, cheesy sticker on it (here in Asia we have tons of "Alpine" car audio amps with a sticker claiming it can produce 3000watts peak music power output on the sticker, then you look at the box and it says something like 35watts RMS x 4).

If I get it right that you want to use your iPhone as source, and also to be able to manipulate the system volume without getting up and walking over to the equipment rack, you could try getting a dedicated "Made for iPod" DAC - check out the HRT iStreamer.* You can even get the iPhone dock to keep it upright and hook up the data cable into that (see photo below),** that way navigating through the player app might be easier for you this way. Next, just get a bit more creative - use a much smaller amp with enough power (assuming yours is an old HT receiver with barely any real "high current" or "high output" capabilities, even a decent 2x50w rms stereo amp might be enough for you), like the Dayton DTA-100a, put it on a table or a smaller equipment rack next to your listening chair, and hook up the speaker cables creatively (ie, keep them out of the way even as they run across the listening area, maybe even out of sight). I'd rather run long speaker cables than long low-level signal IC's so I'd explore using such an integrated amp instead of a pre+power amp if indeed what you need is to have the volume control nearer to you.

That, or you can get a newer receiver with a better amp section (even entry-level receivers now have discrete channels, just not its own PSU separate from the processor as on some TOTL integrated receivers), then for your iPhone source, use bluetooth or - better yet - get a network capable receiver, hook up an HDD media server along with the receiver to your home router, and now you can use the phone as a remote without being limited to the whatever memory your iPhone 5 came with. I have a remote app on my Android, and use it to control MediaMonkey on my laptop blasting house/beach music when I'm in the kitchen, grilling or hanging out at the patio, etc. From what I read on manufacturers' blurbs, like Onkyo's, when properly set-up you can see the content on your phone much like when using a computer. When I was using the free trial versions, I just limit the playlist to the party music playlist and all I had was previous, next, play, pause and stop - just enough to respond well to, "What that?!" and "Dude I hate this song!"

*Before anyone brings up the Pure i20, I have no idea if the lightning to 30-pin adapter will allow his iPhone to work with it, but in any case the height of the support on the dock minus the adapter might make it feel clumsy

**Not exactly an iPhone or an iStreamer but basically the same idea

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 31
It is a cerwin vega cv1800, we have 4 cerwin vega xls 215 speakers, you can look them up if you are unfamiliar, they are all cerwin vega equipment.

My current amp is onkyo, the amp that is 1800 watts rms is the one we are thinking about

What 1800 watt RMS amp are you looking at?

Probably best to look for two 2-channel amplifiers if you want good power. Crown is known for making good PA amplifiers. Or if you are looking to stay with home theater equipment, Emotiva.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 31
Oh I only read the last reply, I see that i could use headphone signal coming out from my phone and just re-amp it through the amp

Don't use the headphone out - that would be double-amping. Use the line out from the dock connector.

If you are thinking of getting a dedicated DAC, and you're running iOS7, you don't need a Made for iPhone DAC anymore. iOS7 now supports USB audio out using the Camera Connection Kit (for 10-pin) or Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor (for newer iPhones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back