Iphone terrible bass response?
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rrahman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Alright i just got a new iphone 3gs. I had always been hesitant to buy ipods/iphones cause I have never been able to get a decent bass response out of them. I currently use a meizu m6 miniplayer with ue superfi 5 pros or sennheiser hd595 w/ ibasso t2 amp. The same exact files have a night and day difference in bass response on the iphone and meizu. The best way I could describe it is the iphone bass beats sound like a wimpy pff with a bit of distortion where the meizu has a clear, deep and detailed response. I listen to all types of music, but its most apparent with bass heavy music (hip hop, dance, techno, and rock)

It seems so counter intuitive that apple would ignore sound quality after several generations of mp3 players (and also a 3 year old 50 dollar mp3 player would have such better sq). I searched around on these forums for an answer, but couldn't find anything. Also, I have tried fiddling with the equalizer presets on the iphone to no avail.

Now I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this or gotten around it somehow.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 17
I always found bass response very weak on my 3G, and the bass boost would cause distortion. Try a little headphone amp like the Fiio E1, that helped bass without being inconvenient.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 17
That's because the output power of the iPhone isn't terribly high. Like the iPod, the iPhone is designed for maximum battery life. The cell transmitter uses lots of power and so does the screen. Consequently, the amount of power sent to the amplifier is kept to a minimum. You need lots of power for bass - it requires the biggest movement of the cone - and it isn't there. The iPhone is adequate for small, very efficient, IEMs. There is enough power to drive those fully.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, I use us super fi 5 pros or HD 595's w an amp. I didn't think it's a power issue cause I am using Iems or an amped low impedance headphone. Any other suggestions?

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rrahman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I use us super fi 5 pros or HD 595's w an amp. I didn't think it's a power issue cause I am using Iems or an amped low impedance headphone. Any other suggestions?

Some IEMS benefit from more power as well. Just because they are small doesn't mean they can't be greedy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 17
I think you might be referring to the Meizu's bloated bass rather than the iPhone's wimpy bass. The Meizu is one of my favourite budget players, but it is eschewed whereas the iPhone isn't. No iPod ever has had anything else than a flat FR, but most old iPods suffered typical bass roll off. New iPods don't, but then they also don't add an extre DBL of bass as do Sony and Meizu.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 17
"What brand headphones are you using?"

I am using sennheiser hd 595's.

"Some IEMS benefit from more power as well. Just because they are small doesn't mean they can't be greedy"

Well I do use my amp with my ue superfi's sometimes, just doesn't make too much of a difference (other than adding another connector). With the bass boost on my amp and bass booster eq setting, I just amplify the distortion. And it still feels like a chunk of the lower register is missing...

"There are FR graphs of the 3GS available and they show it as measuring extremely well - there's no bass rolloff or anything like that, and I find it to be the best player I've used."

I looked up the iphone's FR's. You are right they look pretty flat. But I don't listen with flat eq's, I like bass when i want it and highs when i want it. I haven't had a problem getting the high's or mids out of the iphone. Its when i try to get some bass, even with my amp's bass boost doesn't sound on par with my meizu.

"I think you might be referring to the Meizu's bloated bass rather than the iPhone's wimpy bass. The Meizu is one of my favourite budget players, but it is eschewed whereas the iPhone isn't. No iPod ever has had anything else than a flat FR, but most old iPods suffered typical bass roll off. New iPods don't, but then they also don't add an extre DBL of bass as do Sony and Meizu."

First off the popularity of an mp3 player shouldn't make a difference, lots of things other than sound quality factor into that. Secondly, you are probably right my meizu does add a couple dbls to their bass. But, I can always tone down the bass and get a flat FR when I want it.

Long story short, how do I get my iphone to sound like my meizu? I was looking for an iphone app that has a user defined eq, anyone found this?

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 17
i've also been looking for an eq app for the iphone - as a lot of people have I'm sure. I haven't seen anything yet. would be good to know if there is one available..

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Haha, the iPhone will only ever sound like the iPhone. I have searched the Rockbox repositories too and haven't found EQ or anything worthwhile. Rockbox team originally were delighted to hear about the dev engine, but they won't be able to follow through because: it cannot replace original firmware, and they wouldn't have Apple's permission.

If you want the iPhone to sound like the Meizu: it won't. Use the Meizu instead. The older iPod touch and iPhone share more similar internals to the Meizu - they might sound more like it. In fact, they have the similar difficiencies which are more obvious when paired with low Ω earphones, but similar sound signatures.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Haha, the iPhone will only ever sound like the iPhone

Technically, you could use a line out device -> equalizer -> desktop amp
It wouldn't be mobile anymore, but it would sound very different from a standard iphone out.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 17
I find the T3 a definite improvement all round with my 160GB Classic, but dont expect miracles - it doesnt turn into the X when you add the T3.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've also been looking for an eq app for the iphone - as a lot of people have I'm sure. I haven't seen anything yet. would be good to know if there is one available..

How does turning the bass screw work for the senn ie8's on increasing bass on the iphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back