iphone OS version 3
Apr 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
who else here is excited by this release?? I for one am wrapped with all the features that are going to be added. Sure some of them should have been there to begin with (copy and paste for one, mms another), but things like full support for tethering have massive potential for music streaming. meaning iphone users will be able to stream full rez music directly from their home computer. making it effectively an infinite capacity player. especially since I have unlimited data plans on both my phone and home
biggrin.gif

due for release in july I cant wait

basically its everything I had hoped the iphone would be and more and basically removes the need for most people who have jailbroken their phones to continue with that. sure the tweakers will continue, but for me, this supplies pretty much all the functionality I gained by doing it.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 18
yeah, silly to not have copy and paste. probable video camera app for current gen iphone as well. mms, p2p but for me the biggest is to have external appliances that can interface the iphone. what i want is the dock line in to be activated for a line in recorder, not a stupid mic but a line in to which i can attach mic and battery box or for line in recording of analogue recordings.

landscape email will be big and notes. very excited indeed.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 18
Whoa, tethering would be cool. I currently do that by way of Remote.app and Airport Express. But being able to plug my headphones directly into my iPod (or iPhone in July!) and listen to my entire music library would be AWESOME. Why would it take boradband bandwidth, though? Can't it just go via the wireless LAN?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 18
Sorry if I am killing anyone's dreams here, but when they say that OS 3 will have tethering they mean that you will be able to use your phone as a 3G modem for computer, allowing a laptop or desktop to access the internet over the cellular network, not that you will be able to keep your computer and iphone connected anywhere. If you want that however, there are a few apps on cydia that allow you to access a remote media server.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who else here is excited by this release?? I for one am wrapped with all the features that are going to be added. Sure some of them should have been there to begin with (copy and paste for one, mms another), but things like full support for tethering have massive potential for music streaming. meaning iphone users will be able to stream full rez music directly from their home computer. making it effectively an infinite capacity player. especially since I have unlimited data plans on both my phone and home
biggrin.gif

due for release in july I cant wait

basically its everything I had hoped the iphone would be and more and basically removes the need for most people who have jailbroken their phones to continue with that. sure the tweakers will continue, but for me, this supplies pretty much all the functionality I gained by doing it.

Cool feature. This will result in a far lower battery life since the wi-fi chip will be under heavy load.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 18
im not a big steve fan or fan of apple's terrible tactics with the app store. they actually approved an app that mentions it is for 'yellow fever' (racial slurs) and another than actually in the app description calls the single most base word in english, sexy.

for the unimaginative: c*nt is mentioned on the itunes page and that app is approved. the app store itself is a farce despite having some really great apps. it is littered with nothing apps that are inflamatory and fraught with talentless programming and greed.

but i look forward to os3.0 like a starving man who stares at a dog.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, tethering would be cool. I currently do that by way of Remote.app and Airport Express. But being able to plug my headphones directly into my iPod (or iPhone in July!) and listen to my entire music library would be AWESOME. Why would it take boradband bandwidth, though? Can't it just go via the wireless LAN?

yeah sure you can, but you would have to be in a wifi area.

Quote:

Sorry if I am killing anyone's dreams here, but when they say that OS 3 will have tethering they mean that you will be able to use your phone as a 3G modem for computer, allowing a laptop or desktop to access the internet over the cellular network, not that you will be able to keep your computer and iphone connected anywhere. If you want that however, there are a few apps on cydia that allow you to access a remote media server.

I realize that is their purpose, but with it you will find apps that will allow such things, now that the abiklity is likely to be enabled by ISPs and such. I do realize you can do it already on a jailbroken phone, but I have found jailbroken apps to be akin to running lots of desk accessories on your computer; many of them dont play nice with each other and the memory.
Quote:

Cool feature. This will result in a far lower battery life since the wi-fi chip will be under heavy load.

sure it will....if you are using wifi to do it. but thats why I have an external battery
biggrin.gif

Quote:

landscape email will be big and notes. very excited indeed.

OH YEAH!!! absolutely looking forward to that; I spend a large amount of time doing email on my phone and this will be a real time saver; the keyboard is so much faster/easier to use in landscape format.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 18
edit:; double p[ost
confused.gif
whats up with that today; see them all over the place

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 18
I'm looking forward to 3.0 - the features look impressive.

But what I'm really looking forward to are the new toys coming this summer. The rumor mill says that there will be four new devices coming. I don't know what, but maybe two versions of the iPhone, a new Touch and maybe, just maybe, a tablet.

Supposedly, the news will break on June 8, 2009. I'm putting away $500 for whatever new toy is on the way.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 18
apple are the only company i knowwhy charge for a firmware update. the ipod touch 2nd gen had bluetooth. it was made inaccessible. i want to find a way to enable bluetooth, you know, the way it's supposed to be used (without jailbreaking). apple come along with their new firmware OS. but they charge touch users to download it. why?

why should i have to pay full price for a device, then pay a little more on top for software to unlock a feature already built into the device?

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apple are the only company i knowwhy charge for a firmware update. the ipod touch 2nd gen had bluetooth. it was made inaccessible. i want to find a way to enable bluetooth, you know, the way it's supposed to be used (without jailbreaking). apple come along with their new firmware OS. but they charge touch users to download it. why?

why should i have to pay full price for a device, then pay a little more on top for software to unlock a feature already built into the device?

Probably because they get theirs from all of us using an iphone monthly and
we just don't feel it because its hidden in the bill lol.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a development phone with it right now. This is all I am legally allowed to say lol.

oooooohhhhaaae!!! bring it
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 18
hehe all u need to pay is $99 USD for 1 year subscription to the iPhone dev :p
or someone you know who is a dev they can do activations for you :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back