iphone or blackberry or something else?
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DesertInTheShape

100+ Head-Fier
ok, yeah, the question is iphone or blackberry. (or something better?) the reason why i ask is because i need a new phone. the thing is, no, im not that guy. i have had this old nokia for almost 5 years. it's a trooper. because of the warranty ive gone through about 5 of them. now, its getting old. it is old. so i decided if im gonna buy a new phone, i might as well get a good one.
style points or good, so are cool features like web and maps and whatnot. im with at&t already so i will mostly be adding a data plan to either fan as i dont have it now.
anyway, you know the question. this is alot of money for a phone for me, so i thought i would ask to get some feedback before throwing down.
thanks.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 26
I haven't used a Blackberry, but love my iPhone. I'm typing this post from it, even. I've had it since last July and it has held up and still works as well as it did on day 1. I am completely happy with it and will buy the second gen when it comes out.

Also, most of my family own iPhones. Zero problems and they all love them. Mom's birthday is at the end of the month, and we're all chipping in to get her one.

You can save a few bucks buying a refurb from Apple. Same warranty and I've had great luck with Apple refurbs.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 26
I'll second the iPhone. No problems and it's the first phone that has all the stuff i need in a phone w/o all the fluff and puff. It's cool, intuitive, easy to use. it is rugged and the optical glass is great. The new generation coming out real soon 3G is going to be a real hit.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should i wait for the 3g? from what i get it will probably look the same, just the 3g bonus which isnt that big of a deal to me.

Depends on how much Internet you might be using. Edge is alright. Home can use one's wi-fi. 3G will greatly enhance Internet browsing (speed). They will more than likely be priced higher and I would think there would be a lot of people selling their 1st generation iPhones.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 26
Concerning speeds, these tests are interesting. I'm waiting for 3G, but it all depends on your use.

And Carmantom nice film avatar reference.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 26
my entire campus has wifi so the iphone was perfect for me. The times that I have had to use edge the speeds were tolerable.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concerning speeds, these tests are interesting. I'm waiting for 3G, but it all depends on your use.

And Carmantom nice film avatar reference.
wink.gif

Thanks!
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 26
I have a Blackberry 8800 and I really like it. It has held up well and works great. Plus the email use is second to none. I haven't used the iPhone so I can't compare. However, if I were getting the phone now I would buy the Blackberry 8820 because it has all the same features as the 8800 but also includes Wi-Fi support.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 26
Using both right now. BlackBerry for corporate and iphone for personal. If email is important as well as security etc, then BlackBerry hands down. If you just want a entertainment device with lot of consumer features, then iphone. Emailing on iphone is absolute garbage tho.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 26
iphone is great fun and a great device.

but it does lack the instant email service like the blackberry, push email is very finicky and a lot of people simply cant get it to work, i realize there is imap googlemail etc, but this isnt true push like blackberry, and there are patched hacked software to simulate imapidle etc.

it doesnt bother me, as i am not a corporate user or someone who needs email on tap, through it would be nice to actually have the native feature the iphone promised with regards to true push.

but if you are majorly concerned about instant email - avoid the current incarnation of the iphone. go blackberry or dedicated device. this is coming from someone who hearts their iphone too.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 26
I don't like how the iphone can't assign ringtones from songs in the library, download stuff from the internet, act as a ums drive, or record voice notes. Until you jail break it, the phone is quite limited and superficial device that lacks alot of basic features.

I have to remind myself to run rmaa test this weekend.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like how the iphone can't assign ringtones from songs in the library, download stuff from the internet, act as a ums drive, or record voice notes. Until you jail break it, the phone is quite limited and superficial device that lacks alot of basic features.

I have to remind myself to run rmaa test this weekend.

I'd say with the new roadmap Apple recently announced we are in for quite a treat for all the new applications yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back