iPhone, Momentum's & Fiio E12 problem
May 8, 2014 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yianni1066

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have the Sehhneiser Momentums (Over-Ear) headphones and have just received the Fiio E12 amp and have realised a problem I was hoping someone can help me with. I can't use the in-line remote on my headphones to control the iPhone. I can't change track or take phone calls. I didn't even think about this when I ordered the E12, but was wondering if there is a way around this or a different LOD to make this work.

If not, can anyone recommend, if they exist, a portable headphone amp that will allow the signals from the in-line remote work? I can then sell E12 on to someone that doesn't need this function.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Yianni

May 8, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 9
It is unlikely that you'll find anything like that (at least cheaply) as Apple is quite protective of its gadgets' innards.

There's no way for the signal from your cable to make it through the E12, the Momentum cable has a 4-pole jack (3 dark bands) to send extra signals to the phone, but the E12 has only 3 pole sockets (for plain stereo signals, with 2 dark bands).

The 4 pole jacks will still work for music, but any extra signals from the controls will be lost. All I can think of is a modified cable which might go between the iphone and the E12, but this is likely more trouble than it's worth. You'll be better off plugging straight into the iphone with your Momentum headphones.

May 8, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello,

+1 to SteveHifi, forget about the E12. The Momentum does not really need an amplifier. Minor improvements are there but not extremely obvious.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

May 8, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi,
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. Thinking about your modified cable idea. I just tested the headphones on the E12 using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection vs the F3 LOD and yes there is a noticeable difference, but comparing the 3.5to3.5 vs just plugging in to the iPhone, the E12 connection still seems like 1000 times better to me even if its not the F3 LOD, so a modded cable might be ideal for me.

Should be fun to make, unless anyone knows of anyone that makes custom cables?  
Thanks again!
Yianni.

May 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 9
@ BillsonChang007

Thanks for the response, but I don't agree, they sound immensely better with the E12. I don't know if its because of the type of music I mostly listen to (Electronic/Synth) but there is all round major improvement compared to just plugging directly into the iPod.

May 8, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 9
@ BillsonChang007

Thanks for the response, but I don't agree, they sound immensely better with the E12. I don't know if its because of the type of music I mostly listen to (Electronic/Synth) but there is all round major improvement compared to just plugging directly into the iPod.

IMO, I can only see tighter bass in the Momentum with amplifier. Maybe it's the warmth of E12 but sorry about my mistake though :frowning2:

Billson :)

May 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey, no need to apologise, it's not a mistake and I value all opinions! I appreciate your response and I thank you! 
smile.gif

May 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Hey, no need to apologise, it's not a mistake and I value all opinions! I appreciate your response and I thank you! :smile:

All good sir :) why not consider a DAP instead? Otherwise, try contacting someone in the DIY section of Head-Fi. Some of them do custom DIY cable. Maybe they can help xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back