iPhone / iPod equalizer app for best music listening experience
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #47 of 122
Quote:
I have tried most if not all of them (free and paid) and two stand out - far above the rest.

The first is equalizer by Audioforge Labs - i believe it is $1.99  it is a full seven band parametric equalizer.  What makes it fantastic is that you create the EQ curves by drawing them with your finger.  it has a great decoding engine and plays FLAC as well.  you can save and share curves you create with others.  The interface is excellent and the sounds is superb.

The second and my favorite is Accudio by Goldenears.net.  it is $4.99 and worth every penny.   As you may or may not know goldenears.net is a Korean site (with an engish version) that does sophisticated measurements of headphones and earphones.  Based on these measurements they create correction curves that can make a $35 IEM (the apple dual BA and JVC FXC80 to be exact) sound better than most $300 and $400 IEMs.  I know this because I have experienced the magic of this app with these IEMs. They have over 300 IEM and headphones in their database and move being added each week.  The app, as well as the support button on the Accudio web page lists the corrected quality of each IEM or Can (from 1 to 5) - so you can buy the cans that get a 5 like i did in a few cases - and boy was it worth it) It also allows you to tweak these curves, it also has a 10 band parametric equalizer (but you use numbers and buttons to create the curve - no drawing) and a clone mode where you can make your cans sound like high-end Byers, Sens, etc.  The interface is really good, however the app developers are still on their first release of the app and there are a few nits they are addressing in the second version - right now it burns battery if you leave it "playing" after the music stops.  a small price to pay for truly amazing sound quality.

I believe this kind of app is the future of portable, high quality sound where measurement based high quality digitial signal processing is coupled with high bandwidth transducers.  The transducers may not have a perfect response curve out of the box, but the DSP system can correct it and you end up with a whole audio chain  that is vastly superior to the sum of its parts.

So for an investment of $7.00 (which would not even get you a listenable set of IEM with one exception) you can turn all of your modest or even high-end IEM or headphones (the corrected CAL! is the best on-ears headphone sound I have ever heard when couple with this app and I have over a dozen high-end cans to judge by)  you can go from good or great sound to in some cases simply sublime. 

Feel free to ask any questions about these or other EQ apps - again I have tried most if not all...

Any idea how to get Accudio to play gapless - it puts a gap in between songs... frustrating considering the price.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #48 of 122
Got Accudio today.  I have owned equ and equalizer since they came out.  Equalizer was always my faveorite.

Accudio blows them both out of water.  Its a really incredible app.   Aside from the fact that it is designed exctremely well, and never crashes, its ability to bring headphones to true neutral is ASTOUNDING.

i am a bit of a neutrality nut, and have spent months/years chasing neutrality on whatever headphonnes i've owned.   I have had my westone es-5 customs dialed into pretty darn close to neutral for a long time but always though it could probably be done better by someone who actually knew what they were doing or had good equipment...   well actually i thought it may never be done because who the heck has the ability to do this except a very select few, and especially on customs!?!?!??!   Wel i have to say they NAILED IT!  its actually similar to my eq curve (pats self on back
biggrin.gif
)   but i am not ashamed to say this app has one upped me and my es-5's have never sounded better.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #50 of 122
How do EQu and Accudio compare in terms of battery drain and demand on resources? EQu is not very good on the 3GS - it skips when play in background is enabled, but if you disable it the music stops when the screen turns off 
mad.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 122
Quote:
Got Accudio today.  I have owned equ and equalizer since they came out.  Equalizer was always my faveorite.

Accudio blows them both out of water.  Its a really incredible app.   Aside from the fact that it is designed exctremely well, and never crashes, its ability to bring headphones to true neutral is ASTOUNDING.

i am a bit of a neutrality nut, and have spent months/years chasing neutrality on whatever headphonnes i've owned.   I have had my westone es-5 customs dialed into pretty darn close to neutral for a long time but always though it could probably be done better by someone who actually knew what they were doing or had good equipment...   well actually i thought it may never be done because who the heck has the ability to do this except a very select few, and especially on customs!?!?!??!   Wel i have to say they NAILED IT!  its actually similar to my eq curve (pats self on back
biggrin.gif
)   but i am not ashamed to say this app has one upped me and my es-5's have never sounded better.

Can you share the screenshot of your EQ please ?

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #53 of 122
The free Denon app is decent.
I broke down and bought the Accudio, good buy.  Eq10 was decent as well..
As far as battery life, use NO ipod eq and remember to hit the top( Sleep) Button....I get about 6-7 hours using Accudio on a 3rd gen Touch. Half Flac and 320mp3's

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #55 of 122
I've owned all the EQ apps too. I still think Equalizer is the best for reasonably high-end headphones (though I'm sure Accudio works wonders for cheaper sets). EQu is a disaster. Accudio has a lot of great features, but I hate to say it--the notion that headphones of the same model have the same sound signature is simply theoretical fantasy. Yes, that'd be the ideal, but it rarely happens in practice. I've owned several pairs of HD-650s simultaneously: they sounded nothing alike. One had the veil, but produced by far the best sound. Another was much too bright for a typical HD-650 sound profile, and the third had a much too prominent mid-range. None of these was technically broken. Personally, I think Equalizer produces the best sound (again, EQu is a disaster). The pre-amp is also first-rate.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #57 of 122
is there a list of the headphones and iems that accudio have in it's base ? does it have soundmagic e10 or prodj100 or koss ksc75??
whats the diference between the free app and the 5$ app? the have the same images and description.

thanks a lot for the info.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #59 of 122
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!   Got my new Mad Dogs and Denon Audio can't play music at a decent listening volume even with a FiiO E11.  Started using Equalizer again after the overhaul and it actually worked well...  Until Apple put out iOS 6.1.  Now it's as unstable as ever.  Accudio Free doesn't have the Mad Dog's listed yet.  WHAT DO I DO!?!?!   

I'm on the Spetctrum and need quick and reliable access to music for when I get overwhelmed/overstimulated by heavy hustle-and-bustle when I'm out in busy places.  HELP!!!!!!!

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #60 of 122
I'd stick with Equalizer. Yes, there's a bug which often occurs when you switch music selections mid stream. The developer's aware of it, and working to fix it (I've been in touch). In the meantime, here's the work around for the bug: relaunch the app. When you do, it should be pretty bare looking. Let it sit for about 10 seconds, and it'll crash. When you relaunch again everything will be fine. Apparently, there's a problem with Apple's APIs with iOS6, which they're working to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back