iPhone EQ question
May 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dkaplan74

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if any of you head fi'ers with iPhones mess with the equalizer settings in the ipod section? If so, what do you think about it? What settings do you use, if any?

May 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 15
nah I dont bother with any EQ on ipod; only with rockbox and not available for iphone. even then i'm not a big fan; i'm much more into synergy wit my other equipment

May 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 15
treble boost for my aging ears and my Westone 3's fits the bill perfectly on the train. I tend to turn it off when I am not on the train or in a area with a lot of ambient noise going on.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 15
I listen with the equalizer off or with treble reducer.

I use the iPhone with Ortofon eQ7 headphones.

Pedro

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 15
I found the iPod/iPhone EQ settings to be useless and would not purchase another Apple digital player without a user adjustable EQ.

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 15
With my iPad and iPod touch 4th generation, I found that I only use the rnb and rock settings when wanting an increase in bass but for all other genres where I'm concentrating on the sound quality, I keep it off.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
You can adjust the eq using itunes.

I don't think you can....this has been debated here before, and I do believe the consensus was that it doesn't work.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 15
^ yea it doesn't work like that; the customization you do there does not transfer over to iPods and the like. I used to look at it while changing the iPod settings to actually see from the equalizer what is being changed though.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, at the very least I've confirmed for myself that you can do it over itunes for your iphone 4. It seems that in addition to the eq each preset actually processes the sound differently, so it retains that setting's character even as you change the gain on different frequencies. Try it out for yourself. Plug your ipod/iphone in, open the eq options, save the eq under the name of one of the presets, and sync your ipod/iphone. That preset will have its eq changed.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Well, at the very least I've confirmed for myself that you can do it over itunes for your iphone 4. It seems that in addition to the eq each preset actually processes the sound differently, so it retains that setting's character even as you change the gain on different frequencies. Try it out for yourself. Plug your ipod/iphone in, open the eq options, save the eq under the name of one of the presets, and sync your ipod/iphone. That preset will have its eq changed.

Even if you were correct, this is still not an acceptable substitute for a proper customizable EQ on the DAP itself....because what if you use headphones with different sound sigs with that same iPod? I know I have home use and on-the-go use 'phones, and they certainly do not sound the same. Thankfully, with Rockbox I have settings saved for each headphone.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 15
You save two different customizations on two different presets if you have two different headphoens. On the other hand if you're using the iphone 4 as your home rig....well...

EDIT: I recant my claim. Victim of the placebo effect (and my own neglect to double check)

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 15
I have tried using bass boost on my 3GS, to pair with my Ety ER4P's.  It sort of improves things, but seems to step all over the treble as much as enhancing the bass, and seems to also significantly reduce the volume over "flat".  It is really kind of weird, and I tend to just go back to flat for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back