iphone cable/ ER-4P splice
Sep 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sonnybobiche

Head-Fier
I inherited some ER4Ps about a month ago that were in just terrible shape. (My uncle's sweat was apparently severely corrosive and had caused multiple points of failure and severe oxidation in the cable, but the drivers were intact.

I initially patched things up with a bit of solder and hot glue, but the connection was a bit fragile and cable itself was just terribly microphonic.

So I decided to pull the trigger and completely rip the cable out and replace it with the stock iphone cable (with built-in mic and control). I moved the resistors from the middle of the cable (what a stupid place to put them) to just before the gold plugs that go into the drivers. Held together nicely with hot glue. A little challenging, but I got through it in about an hour with minimal equipment, skill, and sleep.

Result: The cable is lighter, more resilient, free of cracks, COMPLETELY FREE OF MICROPHONICS, and has a built-in mic! The one tradeoff was the loss of the right-angle jack that came with the etys. As far as SQ, I cannot detect a difference, although judging solely on the basis of the wire gauge, the iphone cable has a higher impedance.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the iphone cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back