Iphone availability in the US.
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about buying an iphone soon but have been told there availability is very low in the US. I would have a friend bring me one to Portugal, probably from NYC. Anyone been to an apple store recently that can confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 15
As far as I know this has not been an issue for anyone I know... I bet they will be in stock.
just tried calling an apple store but they have automated phone service with no operator option so I couldn't get through to a real person.

I once heard the 2nd generation iphone is coming out over the summer though, has that been pushed back is it worth waiting?

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 15
My friend went to an Apple Store yesterday and bought one - he made no mention of a shortage or seemingly high demand. Plus, the online Apple Store doesn't cite any problems of availability, and to be honest, I think the initial "gotta have that" urge (in the iPhone's case) is subsiding amongst the American population.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 15
Recently bought one for a family member and there were no issues. They just pulled one out of the drawer. As far as I know, there haven't been any supply problems since last August or so.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 15
so i guess the claims online that there are "stock shortages" are overhyped. but even so, with the whole hype you might want to hold off for a few months for the new one (if there is one). if you can that is.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 15
There's no shortage. There is a shortage of people willing to pay $80 a month for a cell phone though, IMHO.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 15
MASantos, if you are interested in possible 3G support, then perhaps you can wait, as Kugino noted, for the next iPhone release this summer? It is widely rumoured this version will have 3G support, which IMHO was a glaring omission in the first generation.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 15
what else do you think they are going to change. i can only really think of a 32 gb model. i mean its already slim, got multitouch etc. the only thing to change is add memory and 3G.

Edit: forgot that a better camera is needed.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 15
I believe a 3G model is in the works right now. As far as I know the iPhone is plentiful here in the U.S. and I'm sure NYC has more than enough for the demand.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what else do you think they are going to change. i can only really think of a 32 gb model. i mean its already slim, got multitouch etc. the only thing to change is add memory and 3G.

Even if it will be a little better, people will want the NEW one. Whenever something NEW comes out, it doesnt matter how much better it is than the previous product... people will still buy it like mad coz its new.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If they make it with at least a 3MP camera with a decent lense and flash, I'm buying it. Period. It'd be so nice to combine my iPod nano and Canon SD10, both of which are small, but annoying together. If it was in one device I'd be in love.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it will be a little better, people will want the NEW one. Whenever something NEW comes out, it doesnt matter how much better it is than the previous product... people will still buy it like mad coz its new.

Sad but true. One recent example are the new iMacs. The older white ones outperform them quite significantly in gaming and anything that requires a 3d card. The new aluminum ones have a garbage graphics card, yet people still want them more than the older ones. Plus the 'glossy screen', which is complete ****. Ugh. People are so dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back