iPhone as DAC?
Aug 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

sonnybobiche

Head-Fier
As we've heard, the iPhone (particularly the 3GS) demonstrates pretty good sound quality. It drives my Etymotics ER-4P very nicely (much nicer than my HK stereo amp which for some reason has a very high noise floor on these phones, though not on my HD595s.)

I was wondering whether there is some way of sending digital audio to the iphone and using its DACs and amp to drive my headphones.

All the solutions in the App store seem to not be tailored to this particular enterprise (they attempt to stream over wifi or 3g and compress the music).

Can anyone help out?

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 44
You would spend a lot more money trying to achieve that than to simply use a half-decent DAC.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 44
Well, I mean I obviously already have an iPhone. Nobody would be interested in getting an iphone just for this...

I think an app that did this couldn't reasonably cost more than $10, and I'm sure there'd be demand for it.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 44
When I compare the sound quality of my iPhone with my iMac -> Duet using either HD 650's or CX 300 buds, the iPhone is complete crap. For anything but portable listening I would never use an iPhone in a home situation.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 44
The sound quality (DAC section) in the Ipod/Iphone is okey to be a portable player, BUT compared to a dedicated amp (or combined dac/headphone amp) it is (I'm sorry to tell) totally crap (even with LOD/line out signal). I reccomend you to look into some of those cheap DAC's/headphone amp's out there.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 44
There was a comparison of the pico (which is known to have an excellent dac) versus the 3GS - driving JH13's mind you - which said there was no clear winner. So if you're only driving IEM's I think this could be a viable alternative to a cheap amp and dac.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a comparison of the pico (which is known to have an excellent dac) versus the 3GS - driving JH13's mind you - which said there was no clear winner. So if you're only driving IEM's I think this could be a viable alternative to a cheap amp and dac.

I find this a little strange..I guess this is only the case with IEM's?? If you compare my Ipod with my dedicated DAC, the difference is SO huge. I have a budget DAC, but again it is so much better that the quality of the IPod.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... when I compared the Pico DAC+Amp to the iPhone with different IEMs, there was a VERY clear winner.

The 3GS? Really? At least one other person suggests otherwise.

Also, this will probably be possible when equalization on the iPhones is possible (read: never).
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must admit, it was not the 3GS, but from experience with other iPhones and iPods, I must say that my expectations of something newer necessarily being better is quite slim.

I thought the same. You might be pleasantly surprised.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 44
I had the 3G and now the 3GS. Running SE530, unamped, there is definitely no improvement, in my opinion. It's tolerable, but definitely wouldn't be my first pick.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMF2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 3G and now the 3GS. Running SE530, unamped, there is definitely no improvement, in my opinion. It's tolerable, but definitely wouldn't be my first pick.

I'm surprised, considering the 3GS has a totally different DAC from the 3G. IMHO the only place the 3G wins is in a lower noise floor, but otherwise I think the 3GS is better in every respect (soundstage, transparency, resolution [subtle, mostly in bass texture and treble], clarity).

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 44
I guess I'm partially biased as my main setup sounds so much better than the iPhone + IEMs, that no matter how much it 'improves,' I'm still not going to love it. I don't have the 3G anymore to do a side-by-side comparison, but from what I recall, I didn't find much, if any, of an improvement.

Nonetheless, I would definitely turn on airplane mode if you do end up using your 3GS as a DAC, somehow.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMF2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guess partially biased as my main setup sounds so much better than the iPhone + IEMs, that no matter how much it 'improves,' I'm still not going to love it.

Not surprised there..
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back