iPhone amp for UM3X
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joshuamercer

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I've searched every seemingly relevant post i could find on the forums regarding a synergistic amp for my iPhone and UM3X but i cannot come to a well rounded conclusion.  The problem is that i don't want bulk, and i don't feel it necessary to find a super-crazy-awesome signature changing amp.  I'm just looking for simple amplification so that the low driver can be powered as much as the high and mid drivers.  I've have recently upgraded all my audio to a higher resolution to take advantage of this revealing monitor, and now i would like to squeeze that last little bit of performance out of them. 

Will you please offer your suggestions under $150 that will work really well without adding significan't bulk to my setup?  I use my iPhone for about 9 hours/day for playback purposes. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, the UM3X doesn't need an amp.  However, if the source device is sufficiently low in power, bass can become seriously muddy and dis-coherent.  A little extra wattage snugs the low end right up.  This is assuming you're a little short on wattage, but I'd think the IPhone 4 would be ok in that regard.  I know it's not the best, but it's not exactly crap either in terms of phones with 3.5mm audio out.  What was the reasoning to start looking for an amp?

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
The main reason is that when i'm at church using the headphone amp i get a great powerful sound.  I get a somewhat less powerfull sound going back to the iPhone.  It doesn't sound muddy by any means, but with propper power i know that all phones "sure" up and become really amazing.  At least that would be the general consensus 'round these parts.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 7
It probably has more to do with the iphones output capacitor size. The internal caps can not be too large, and the UM3X impedenze is only 56R, so the bass cut off frequency is rather high. UM3x is supposedly 124db/mw, I doubt anybody listen at 124dB all day.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 7
I am using a J3 with um3x and when everyone says that the combo doesnt require an amp, I was curious on trying it out. So i bought the Ibasso T3 and there was a difference. Better low end for sure, more transparency and overall sounded a lot more powerful. The difference is there, and it just depends on if you're willing on spending around 150 to squeeze in that extra 10% SQ increase and the bulk. 

As for portability, T3 is pretty darn small and light, similar size to a Zippo lighter but even lighter so I would recommend the T3 if you're looking for a decent amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back