iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 18, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #632 of 1,216

The metal around the plastic molding is shielding. A great deal more care has gone into it than would be needed for analog circuitry only; look at what appear to be micro electro-welds to ensure tight tolerances. The would suggest quite a bit of native digital processing in the dongle. An ADC would operate at higher impedances than a low impedance headphone "power" DAC+amp, would pull less current and would require less shielding. My bet is that the plug contains both an ADC and DAC+amp, probably built into a CODEC. I hope this is the case, and I hope the rumored < 1 ohm output impedance is correct for the sake of my SE846. I bought 2 lightning dongles to listen to, and if they're good, I'll just by one each for my most used IEMs. So far, I plugged one into my 6s+ and found it requires IOS 10. I'm waiting for a few more revisions before upgrading; my house and business is run from the phone, so I can't afford down time. I was pleased by the diminutive size of the dongle. I'm anxious to finally get a 7+ to finally carry my entire 2500 CD collection on my phone. (My wife said, "That's it, you're not going to get any Christmas presents from me this year!" I ameliorated her by getting us tickets to visit her mother's 86th birthday in Puerto Rico. Hopefully, no more guilt trips.)

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #634 of 1,216
The iPhone 7's adapter out is definitely noisier than my iPhone 6's headphone out with the Campfire Andromeda. 

Just read that the Andromeda is way more sensitive than the very sensitive SE846. Thus it's a great compliment to the iPhone 6 that it remains black with that iem.

As in my experience the iPhone 6 is the blackest headphone port i have ever enjoyed your comparison does not suprise me though.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #635 of 1,216
Just read that the Andromeda is way more sensitive than the very sensitive SE846. Thus it's a great compliment to the iPhone 6 that it remains black with that iem.

As in my experience the iPhone 6 is the blackest headphone port i have ever enjoyed your comparison does not suprise me though.

Been testing my SE846's with my iPhone 7 all weekend. Didn't want to post until I'd had time to really listen and test.

Well, what can I say. To my ears it's a big upgrade in soundstage, detail and clarity compared to my iPhone 6S. Playing a Moon Shaped Pool almost had me in tears at times it sounded so good and I picked up so many more details than before.

Very much enjoying this "downgrade" from Apple.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #636 of 1,216

Been testing my SE846's with my iPhone 7 all weekend. Didn't want to post until I'd had time to really listen and test.

Well, what can I say. To my ears it's a big upgrade in soundstage, detail and clarity compared to my iPhone 6S. Playing a Moon Shaped Pool almost had me in tears at times it sounded so good and I picked up so many more details than before.

Very much enjoying this "downgrade" from Apple.

Are you one of those who could hear EMI noise leaking into the 6s hpo when screen/cpu worked?

If the dongle fix this then the 6s is back on my wish list.

Alcohol is never the answer... But it certainly helps you forget the question.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #638 of 1,216
Tried an iPhone 7 + dongle + SE846

Very solid sound in my book. Kudos to amazing engineering by Apple/Cirrus Logic

b296605aea6c581f87c42101da2372a5.jpg

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #642 of 1,216
Yuriv has put together a fantastic review (objective and subjective) of the dongle in the Sound science subforum.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #644 of 1,216
I can report that there is NO emi noise bleeding with the dongle and SE846s attached to an iPhone 6s Plus.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #645 of 1,216
NwAvGuy has done measurements on the iphone headphone output and he says they are really really good. He considers some of them as 0 ohm impedance output.
I doubt you can hear difference between the Dongle for the iphone 7 and previous iphones.

if you think you do, then you need to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back