iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #331 of 1,216
I find it funny how the myriad users who have posted in this thread have had such radically different views on this subject. But I suppose that people have always had radically different views on any given issue, so why not this one as well? :popcorn:

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #332 of 1,216
It's just that audio quality is higher when DAC is manufactured exclusively for the particular drivers, from the same manufacturer, instead of having one DAC for all cases inside your phone...

I'm not sure how this is in the "average" consumers' best interest and their cost-to-benefit. Add the weight of putting amplification in the headphone/IEM and I can't see any positive benefit in ratio to deficit.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #333 of 1,216
Holy-schiit. This is the best comment I have ever seen !

Thanks, it's honestly the only thing I could muster up, and I gave this some considerible thought.

Apple, the only thing they have done with the iPhone is revolutionary is actually revolutionised themselves out of
head Fi. :joy:

What a memorial event... I love it...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #334 of 1,216
I'm not sure how this is in the "average" consumers' best interest and their cost-to-benefit.

The "average" consumer will either plug their headphones into the lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapter and not worry about nerdy concerns like damping factors, OR they will use wireless headphones like I see so many people in public doing these days.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #335 of 1,216
I broke down and upgraded my wife's phone to the IPhone 7. The deal was too good at T-Mobile with a savings of $400 with a trade-in of her 5s. She does not ever listen to music on it so it was a no brainer.

As for me I am would never ever get one, thanks to ITunes and now the dinky dongle for wired headphones..

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #336 of 1,216
I'm not sure how this is in the "average" consumers' best interest and their cost-to-benefit. Add the weight of putting amplification in the headphone/IEM and I can't see any positive benefit in ratio to deficit.

I suppose everything is light and tiny anymore! Technology my friend!!! Look at the Airpods! How small and light but having so many tiny sensors and amps and DAC and W1 chip and so on...Weight is not a problem anymore!

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #337 of 1,216
And before all of you head Fi members that ordered the iPhone7, start asking stupid questions, maybe try to put your energy into getting a refund, LOL

Don't try to get any reasoning out of me, the iPhone 7 has no place in headfi, it's as useful as the cheapest cell phone you can find with digital transport to headfi now. (A bit like **** on a bull)

So this hole thread has no place in an audio orientated website. Especially without a headphone socket.

Lol

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #338 of 1,216
Hilarious! It keeps on getting better by the minute!

The slogan for Apple’s new iPhone 7 translates into “This is penis” in Hong Kong.

http://qz.com/777628/the-slogan-for-apples-aapl-new-iphone-7-translates-into-this-is-penis-in-hong-kong/

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #339 of 1,216
And before all of you head Fi members that ordered the iPhone7, start asking stupid questions, maybe try to put your energy into getting a refund, LOL

Don't try to get any reasoning out of me, the iPhone 7 has no place in headfi, it's as useful as the cheapest cell phone you can find with digital transport to headfi now. (A bit like **** on a bull)

So this hole thread has no place in an audio orientated website. Especially without a headphone socket.

Lol

What you would recommend for someone like me that prefers to use portable DAC/amps like the CDM, Mojo, iDSD, and DFR in terms of a portable transport for my lossless tracks? I also prefer iPhones for my smartphone needs so I am thinking that using an iPhone as a transport makes sense. However, I'd like to here why this would not be considered hifi worthy.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #340 of 1,216
Now my only great expectation is for Shure to produce my loving and reasonably priced SE215 as wireless version with W1 chip!! This will be the end for me!

My dear Elfary this one's for you!

I think I am gonna write an email to Shure begging them to consider...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #341 of 1,216
The "average" consumer will either plug their headphones into the lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapter and not worry about nerdy concerns like damping factors, OR they will use wireless headphones like I see so many people in public doing these days.

The market will decide. It shall be interesting to see how the iPhone 7 sells versus earlier iterations. I predict a lesser sales performance versus earlier iterations, with the omission of the headphone jack as one major reason for people avoiding the iPhone 7.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #342 of 1,216
The market will decide. It shall be interesting to see how the iPhone 7 sells versus earlier iterations. I predict a lesser sales performance versus earlier iterations, with the omission of the headphone jack as one major reason for people avoiding the iPhone 7.

I do think that the iPhone 7 won't sell as well as previous iPhones have because it is more of a "you either hate it or love it" product than any other iPhone.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #343 of 1,216
What you would recommend for someone like me that prefers to use portable DAC/amps like the CDM, Mojo, iDSD, and DFR in terms of a portable transport for my lossless tracks? I also prefer iPhones for my smartphone needs so I am thinking that using an iPhone as a transport makes sense. However, I'd like to here why this would not be considered hifi worthy.

Either IDSD or Pha-3. Depends on whether you like balanced or just SE

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #344 of 1,216

How bout an android that supports flac instead of bs proprietary apple formats forcing you to convert your files for one stupid player with non expandable coverage and a horrible music app ui?

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #345 of 1,216
I find it funny how the myriad users who have posted in this thread have had such radically different views on this subject. But I suppose that people have always had radically different views on any given issue, so why not this one as well?
popcorn.gif

Clearly there are folks who have their own personal set of criteria that separates "consumer" from "audiophile". Apple is clearly targeting consumers so those folks will automatically conclude that Apple products do not belong in a discussion amongst audiophiles. There are other folks who say there is no criteria to be considered an audiophile other than the love of audio, so any discussion on any gear that has something to do with audio is welcome. The one obvious focus on Headfi is that all the discussions and gear have more to do with headphones and not speakers, but I've seen a fair amount of threads on speakers, especially bluetooth ones.

As long as the debates are open and not personal, I find the threads both entertaining as well as informative.

I absolutely find this whole thread far better than ones I've seen on USB cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back