iPhone 7 severe issue with MFi DACs
Oct 21, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 44
Your DAC/amps aren't getting enough power, resulting either in no or faulty operation.
Use a USB Y-cable to provide power from a battery (or wall charger) to the DAC/amp:

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 44
Reporting same issue here with scratching sound off and on throughout music with iPhone 7 paired with Sound Blaster E5.  Issue was not present with iPhone 6 or iPad pro 9.7 both running iOS 10.  Contacted Creative Labs, they suggested using line in with headphone adapter for iPhone 7 which completely negates the point of having an external DAC.  Filed bug report with apple, and as expected have seen no fix from them.  Not sure what the issue is: the E5 is self-powered so power should not be issue, if anything the E5 actually tries to charge the phone for a split second once its plugged in.  Would really like to know what issue is with this.  Thinking about trading over to an Oppo HA-2SE per a recommendation from another thread.  Was about to send my phone in for service, but with everything working with the included 3.5mm to lightning adapter, all they will certainly say is "use the included adapter."  Would really like to know if this is a software or hardware issue. Have tried literally everything, camera kit, different cables, different modes on the E5.  

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 44
  Your DAC/amps aren't getting enough power, resulting either in no or faulty operation.
Use a USB Y-cable to provide power from a battery (or wall charger) to the DAC/amp:

I have the clicking with a self-powered DAC (Sony MDR-1ADAC) connected via MFi Lightning cable, so power may not be a universal cause....

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 44
Just to add to my post above, today I noticed that with the iPhone 7+ w/iOS 10.0.3 and using the included Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, with analog headphones, I am getting a snap when starting music playback, and then when I stop playback I get a series of pops, cracks and static.  All faint, but there.  (Hadn't noticed before, as who in their right mind would want to use the DAC in that Apple $9 dongle if you have any alternative.)

Remember that with iOS 10.0.1 some folks were complaining that the Lightning audio would stop working after 20 minutes or so, and that was fixed with iOS 10.0.2 (I may have the numbers wrong).  I think we are simply finding other bugs.

I am really thinking that the software/hardware situation with iPhone Lightning audio output is a dumpster fire right now since iOS10 and the iPhone 7 came out.

I can only hope that these issues are all patchable in software, but who knows, as Apple isn't pushing Lightning audio at all, and wants all the focus on buying wireless Beats....

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 44
Just to add to my post above, today I noticed that with the iPhone 7+ w/iOS 10.0.3 and using the included Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, with analog headphones, I am getting a snap when starting music playback, and then when I stop playback I get a series of pops, cracks and static.  All faint, but there.  (Hadn't noticed before, as who in their right mind would want to use the DAC in that Apple $9 dongle if you have any alternative.)

Remember that with iOS 10.0.1 some folks were complaining that the Lightning audio would stop working after 20 minutes or so, and that was fixed with iOS 10.0.2 (I may have the numbers wrong).  I think we are simply finding other bugs.

I am really thinking that the software/hardware situation with iPhone Lightning audio output is a dumpster fire right now since iOS10 and the iPhone 7 came out.

I can only hope that these issues are all patchable in software, but who knows, as Apple isn't pushing Lightning audio at all, and wants all the focus on buying wireless Beats....

You must've missed the Shure SE846 thread. They all love the extremely low zout.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #22 of 44
A few questions:

- Is your PHA-1A identified as such by the iPhone?  I.e. when you select the output device in the iOS Control Center is it listed as "PHA-1A"?

- Is the iPhone sending the bitstream data in the native format?

I am asking because with my Sony MDR-1ADAC (which AFAIK is basically a PHA-1A integrated into a set of MDR-1A headphones), when I use Sony's included Lightning cable and connect it as designed to my iPhone 7+, the device is recognized as "Dock" (not "MDR-1ADAC" as it should be).  Biggest problem is that everything is output in only 44.1kHz.  The MDR-1ADAC supports 44.1kHz/48kHz/16-bit when connected via it's Lightning cable, but with iOS 10.0.x everything is getting sent out at 44.1kHz only.  I get this same behavior on iPad Air 2 or iPhone 5S, all with iOS10.0.3.

Interestingly, if I use the iPhone 7+'s included Apple Lighting Earpods, or if I use the included Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, the iPhone sends out either 44.1kHz or 48kHz, whichever is most appropriate for a given source.  Yet, I cannot get it to do this with my MDR-1ADAC.

I have the feeling that there a LOT of bugs in the iOS10 lightning audio support right now.  Very frustrating...

EDIT: Just to add - I am also getting infrequent, faint clicks also in audio with the MDR-1ADAC connected via Lighting.  In fact, it was something I was suspecting I was hearing but wasn't quite sure, as it doesn't happen all that often, but now that I see others with this issue....

The PHA-1 is recognized perfectly and is sjown as output device. I have no way to tell which bitrates are send though. Do assume it is native, though.

On my iPhone 6 the combination worked flawlessly for a year!

IMHO definitely a compatibility issue with the iPhone 7. Cant be a power issue as the DAC is self powered.

Waiting for a fix. This is a major annoyance!

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 44
The PHA-1 is recognized perfectly and is sjown as output device. I have no way to tell which bitrates are send though. Do assume it is native, though.

On my iPhone 6 the combination worked flawlessly for a year!

IMHO definitely a compatibility issue with the iPhone 7. Cant be a power issue as the DAC is self powered.

You can verify the frequency of the bitstream that is being sent by using another audio app, such as NePLAYER, or KORG's iAudioGate.  They won't tell the bitdepth of the output, but they will list the frequency.  This is how I can see that my MDR-1ADAC (described as "Dock Connector" by iOS) is only getting sent 44.1kHz, and the audio apps show that as the only available output frequency, regardless of the frequency of the source.  This is when using Sony's included Lightning cable, which should be giving me 44.1kHz/48kHz at 16-bit.  I guess at this point I should be happy that I am getting audio at all out of the iPhone 7+...

I also tried using the Apple Lightning USB 2.0 Camera Kit, with a USB-to-micro-USB plug adapter which then allows me to connect Sony's micro-USB cable to the MDR-1ADAC.  With Xperia phones this then allows up to 192kHz PCM to be sent to the DAC.  Connecting this way the device is properly recognized by iOS as "MDR-1ADAC", and the audio apps seem to also recognize a DAC connected, as a big range of native frequencies can be selected.  BUT, when playing the audio, no audio is ever actually sent out to the DAC - even though all indications are that the music is playing.  I had this same thing occur when trying the newer Apple Lightning USB 3.0 Camera Kit.

At least with my issue, I have duplicated it across iPhone 7+, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 5S.  All were running iOS 10.0.2 and 10.0.3, though (didn't have the device back when I was running iOS9.x.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 44
"zout"?  (Sorry - I think you are making a joke, but I'm new to this forum and am not following....)

Zout means output impedance from the headphone jack. Generally the lower the better, especially for multi driver balanced armature iems. The new dongle has near zero output impedance

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 44
Zout means output impedance from the headphone jack. Generally the lower the better, especially for multi driver balanced armature iems. The new dongle has near zero output impedance

How does it sound in comparison to the iPhone 6S plus?

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #28 of 44
How does it sound in comparison to the iPhone 6S plus?

Most comments I've read say on par with or better than the older iPhones. I haven't personally tried it.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #29 of 44
Trying to use sound blaster e5 with iphone 7 and have read camera connection kit solves audio quality issue with skips in music, however connection requires male to male usb cable. Purchased a usb 3.0 data transfer cable 1 ft it length and sound blaster isn't even recognized with that setup, is there a special type of usb cable (male to male) i need to get it working? Thanks for any help.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 44
Trying to use sound blaster e5 with iphone 7 and have read camera connection kit solves audio quality issue with skips in music, however connection requires male to male usb cable. Purchased a usb 3.0 data transfer cable 1 ft it length and sound blaster isn't even recognized with that setup, is there a special type of usb cable (male to male) i need to get it working? Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, I found this issue as well. I don't think there's a workaround...this method only worked with the PHA-1A for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back