iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #181 of 199
Sorry if this is a noob question - can I use the Iphone 7 with a non-lighting amp like the Fiio A3? I guess it's double-amping, but can someone who has tried it give some impressions of how it sounds?

Is my best bet to buy the CCK?

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #182 of 199
Sorry if this is a noob question - can I use the Iphone 7 with a non-lighting amp like the Fiio A3? I guess it's double-amping, but can someone who has tried it give some impressions of how it sounds?

Is my best bet to buy the CCK?

You can't break anything by double amping, but whatever distortions and sound color you get out of the Apple dongle will only get amplified when fed through an external amp. If you like the sound of the Apple dongle, then it should be ok since you will only get more of it.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #183 of 199
I just built a great iPhone stack .... NO rubber bands! :wink:

iPhone + Mojo, New stack build with custom cable and custom cases
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ip...uild-with-custom-cable-and-custom-case.22654/

10001963_thumb.jpg
10001962_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #186 of 199
Just wanted to stop by and say that the Creative Sound Blaster E5 works with the iPhone 8 Plus. Whatever issue there was with the iPhone 7 Plus has been resolved. Kind of sucks it required a whole new device to finally fix. But hey it works again! 256GB iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #187 of 199
Just wanted to stop by and say that the Creative Sound Blaster E5 works with the iPhone 8 Plus. Whatever issue there was with the iPhone 7 Plus has been resolved. Kind of sucks it required a whole new device to finally fix. But hey it works again! 256GB iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.

Does the E5 still not work with the iPhone 7 Plus? I know it was an issue close to a year ago, but I never bought a DAC. I see people saying the Centrance DAC works find with the USB3 CCK and people talking about the CCK getting a firmware update?

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #188 of 199
Am I the only one that can barely hear differences with/without the iPhone 7 + Chord Mojo? I also find the iPhone Adapter sounds better than the iPhone 6 (warmer and better bass). I use the Sennheiser IE80.

Any comment would help.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #189 of 199
I have to wonder why there aren't more dac/amp combos in a form factor like the Centrance skyn. Having to strap devices to my phone is so inconvenient :triportsad:

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #190 of 199
I have to wonder why there aren't more dac/amp combos in a form factor like the Centrance skyn. Having to strap devices to my phone is so inconvenient :triportsad:

That ship has sailed. Skyn works for a generation or 2, but nobody knows what Apple is going to make next so too much risk that these "audio cases" will not fit. Also iPhones limited to 256 GB doesn't work for folks with lossless libraries. I personally think wireless is the future for those who want to use their smartphones as their DAPs. The latest Sony MDR-1000XM2 is pretty damn good.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #191 of 199
Sorry for the (maybe) noob question:

Is the DragonFly Red compared to the iPhone's DAC Adapter really so much better?
I compared both and:

1. The DragonFly Red has distorsion – also with OSX and Windows.
2. The iPhone's DAC sounds for me and with my IEM (Campfire Andromeda) better: cleaner, brighter and better bass.

Other opinions?

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #192 of 199
Sorry for the (maybe) noob question:

Is the DragonFly Red compared to the iPhone's DAC Adapter really so much better?
I compared both and:

1. The DragonFly Red has distorsion – also with OSX and Windows.
2. The iPhone's DAC sounds for me and with my IEM (Campfire Andromeda) better: cleaner, brighter and better bass.

Other opinions?

What kind of distortion are you hearing? Whatever it is, that is not normal for DFR and the sound quality with your Andros should be quite obviously better than iPhone DAC. I would contact AudioQuest support to figure out what's wrong.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #193 of 199
What kind of distortion are you hearing? Whatever it is, that is not normal for DFR and the sound quality with your Andros should be quite obviously better than iPhone DAC. I would contact AudioQuest support to figure out what's wrong.

I noticed distortion at a high volume both with the iPhone and the PC. Without the DFR the music is fine, and also with another DAC.

I read somewhere that the cause can be the upsampling. Anyway, that the DRF can cause distortion, you can read at the 1st page in this thread.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #194 of 199
IMG_5341.JPG

I use "Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" (US$29) + "type-C data cable" (US$5) + "LG HiFi Plus B&O module" (US$50) = excellent music quality, able to native DSD.

*LG HiFi Plus B&O module has an ESS ES9028C2M DAC and its price has dropped below US$50 in HK now.
it supports Android devices, iOS devices, and Windows PC (need to download driver from LG UK official web site) and MAC computers.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #195 of 199
May I ask which external DAC for iPhone that supports the microphone function (so that I can answer phone calls while using it)?
I only know the original Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack cable and Fiio i1 supports mic function

Users who are viewing this thread

Back