iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #151 of 199

Not really any noticeable improvement in audio quality, maybe a smidgin better but not enough to justify the extra hassle.

I'm using the Shure 846's and am really looking forward to their Lightning DAC Cable. For now I'm going to use the EL-8's with Cipher Cable (they are extraordinary) and will use the Shure's only when necessary until I can get the other cable for them.  

After having the W60's and then the Shures, they can't touch the EL-8's with Cipher Cable, I'm sold on the whole DAC thing now.  The problem with them seems to be portability and compatibility, so the DAC in a Lightning Cable makes a lot of sense to me, being an iPhone user.

Do you think Shure's cable will rival something like a Dragonfly? I'm also skeptical of buying lightning specific cables for everything, given that I have different headphones, and would prefer a more generic solution...

I have a couple questions regarding the dragonfly:
1. They seem to have multiple versions (at least the black one does), if I bought an older version can I upgrade the firmware for it to work (and sound) exactly like a newer version?
2. The red seems to have only one version (newest). Is that true?
3. Can it be used stably with the compact CCK (like the one here)? In fact, is that bundle worth buying at all or just buy the red and buy the CCK separately? (I'm using an iPhone 7+)

Read through this thread. Some people have issues with the USB2 CCK not working. It just seems safer to spend $10 more to get the USB3 CCK.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #152 of 199
Do you think Shure's cable will rival something like a Dragonfly? I'm also skeptical of buying lightning specific cables for everything, given that I have different headphones, and would prefer a more generic solution...

Read through this thread. Some people have issues with the USB2 CCK not working. It just seems safer to spend $10 more to get the USB3 CCK.

The Shure cable will downsample hi-res to 24/48. The Dragonflys will play hi-res natively. Some people believe there's a noticeable difference in sound between 48 and 96 or 192, and some don't.

The USB3 CCK solves the audio problems, but it's bulkier and makes the Dragonflys a bit less portable.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #153 of 199

Yes, I agree, more generic would be good.

However, I am really impressed by the Audeze Cypher Cable on the EL8-Titanium that I bought. Really impressed. I bought a Fiio X3 thinkink I was missing out on something by not have a good source player versus my iPhone. Well, the iPhone with Cypher Cable and EL8's sound just as good as plugging into the Fiio with 3.5mm cable. The Fiio does seem to have the magical ability to make my mid-tier earphones sound better, but that's not what I was looking for, just a side benefit.

Fortunately the EL8's came with a 3.5mm cable so I can swap back and forth, but it is still a hassle. For me, since most of my listening can be iPhone / iPad (Tidal) based, the lightning cable isn't really a big deal. The cable is also very thick/flat and really well done. I'm hoping that Shure comes out with something similar and I think it would be a home run.

I did not try the DFR, I was going to but then opted for the Fiio X3 2nd Gen instead. I wanted to remove my iPhone from the chain and really compare what I was getting from the "iPhone-Tidal-Cypher Cable-EL8" combination to my "Fiio-ALAC-Shure 846" combination. I was hoping to just keep the Shure's, but after comparing I'm going to keep the EL8's. I am contemplating holding out until the Shure cable ships, but we'll see. I have the Shure's up for sale in the sale forum, it they don't sell I won't be heartbroken :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #154 of 199
Rumor circulating today, based on a WSJ article, that the iPhone 8 will ditch the lightning port in favor of the industry standard USB-C. I normally ignore all the mac rumor noise, but I took note when it came from the WSJ. Just thought I would share, as that would obviously have implications for many of us.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #155 of 199
Rumor circulating today, based on a WSJ article, that the iPhone 8 will ditch the lightning port in favor of the industry standard USB-C. I normally ignore all the mac rumor noise, but I took note when it came from the WSJ. Just thought I would share, as that would obviously have implications for many of us.

Equally funny rumor.

Apple will keep Lightning on their mobile devices but ditch USB-A, so that their cables are now USB-C to Lightning.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #156 of 199
Equally funny rumor.

Apple will keep Lightning on their mobile devices but ditch USB-A, so that their cables are now USB-C to Lightning.

I think this i more likely. Apple makes a lot of revenue from MFi certification, but I could see them adding USB-C for the fast charge feature.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #157 of 199
Equally funny rumor.

From what I've seen, it's kinda this. They're adding USB-C functionality like fast charge, but keeping the lightning connector. More or less, it does everything needed and all their customers own it already. You'd piss off a lot of people making them dump all their lightning stuff for USB-C stuff.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #158 of 199
Hey everyone - totally new to the head-fi community, so please be patient with me.  

I've read through most of this thread, and got the gist of what was going on with my very very limited understanding of all this stuff.  

Has anyone tried the Topping NX4? Supposedly it's catered to work seamlessly with iOS products, reasonably priced, and seems OK on paper. 

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/nx4/index.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Portable-Amplifier-Headphone-Compatible/dp/B01MS7TGB0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Ultimately, I'd like to have something portable enough to be on the move, won't kill my battery, and will power my T50RP MK3's.  I plan on getting another set of headphones that'll hopefully be more portable in the future, but for now, that's kinda what I'm looking for.  If anyone has any insight, that'd be much appreciated!

The Centrance DACport seems really attractive as a non-powered unit, as does the Fiio E18 for a powered, but the NX4 may bypass some of the clutter!  If anyone has any input on this unit (or other good options), please reply!

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #159 of 199
I've read through some of this thread and I'm trying to figure out if anything is a home run in terms of improving the sound of the iPhone 7. I got a new pair of Etymotic E4SR, Studio Reference IEMs and I can hear an immediate improvement from my old ER4Ps. Given that the iPhone 8 will be announced soon, what do people think?

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #160 of 199
I've read through some of this thread and I'm trying to figure out if anything is a home run in terms of improving the sound of the iPhone 7. I got a new pair of Etymotic E4SR, Studio Reference IEMs and I can hear an immediate improvement from my old ER4Ps. Given that the iPhone 8 will be announced soon, what do people think?

Little bit off topic: Is there any bass at all on these Etymotic, or is it all killed in the name of a so called "studio reference"??

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #161 of 199
Little bit off topic: Is there any bass at all on these Etymotic, or is it all killed in the name of a so called "studio reference"??

If you want a little boost in the bass, buy the XR model. The SR has a very flat frequency response curve, as it should for something that is a reference IEM. It's nice to see an earphone come with plots of the frequency response curves, including those on each channel. 

You need a good seal in the ear canal to get better bass. I use the big yellow foam plugs which you have to order separately, they don't come in the package with the earphones. I never got a good enough seal with any of the standard plugs they offer. YMMV.

Off topic some more, as far as I can tell, the whole culture has gone bass crazy. No thanks. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #162 of 199
  If you want a little boost in the bass, buy the XR model. The SR has a very flat frequency response curve, as it should for something that is a reference IEM. It's nice to see an earphone come with plots of the frequency response curves, including those on each channel. 

You need a good seal in the ear canal to get better bass. I use the big yellow foam plugs which you have to order separately, they don't come in the package with the earphones. I never got a good enough seal with any of the standard plugs they offer. YMMV.

Off topic some more, as far as I can tell, the whole culture has gone bass crazy. No thanks. 

It's a whole discussion, really off topic!! I have been occupying with music for much time and to me, bass offers that warmth in sound which is basic for my enjoyment! I never liked flat response...Music to me, must have some color in order to have a tasteful presentation...Otherwise it's just sound analysis...Of course everything must be done properly and as accurately as possible. Crazy bass boost brings really negative results, for sure. But take a look at the Harman curve, where most people prefer the initial +5db in bass area!! Moderate bass boost offers this earthly connection of your emotions, unifying you with the music world you are currently trying to get into...

Just my subjective opinion of course. Enjoy your new Etymotic set!!

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #163 of 199
It's a whole discussion, really off topic!! I have been occupying with music for much time and to me, bass offers that warmth in sound which is basic for my enjoyment! I never liked flat response...Music to me, must have some color in order to have a tasteful presentation...Otherwise it's just sound analysis...Of course everything must be done properly and as accurately as possible. Crazy bass boost brings really negative results, for sure. But take a look at the Harman curve, where most people prefer the initial +5db in bass area!! Moderate bass boost offers this earthly connection of your emotions, unifying you with the music world you are currently trying to get into...

Just my subjective opinion of course. Enjoy your new Etymotic set!!

Thanks. For me, a flat response curve means the earphone is trying to reproduce the original recording as closely as possible. It's not about disliking bass, I like bass, but in proportion with the mids and the highs. Who gets to decide what you hear? I would like to hear what the artist and the record engineer intended me to hear but you can choose differently. 

I think the E4XR gives you that 5dB boost you want, see the curves here: 

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

That's fine, it's just not what I like.

I'm not so sure about the bass connection to earthly emotions, LOL, that seems to be stretching things a bit. I feel plenty of earthly connection to my emotions in the mids and the highs. :wink: I played in the last row of a second violin section in a community orchestra, with my head a few feet from three kettledrums. That guy's bass invoked a violent emotion in me, haha. Now, that was bass! 

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #164 of 199
  Thanks. For me, a flat response curve means the earphone is trying to reproduce the original recording as closely as possible. It's not about disliking bass, I like bass, but in proportion with the mids and the highs. Who gets to decide what you hear? I would like to hear what the artist and the record engineer intended me to hear but you can choose differently. 

I think the E4XR gives you that 5dB boost you want, see the curves here: 

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

That's fine, it's just not what I like.

I'm not so sure about the bass connection to earthly emotions, LOL, that seems to be stretching things a bit. I feel plenty of earthly connection to my emotions in the mids and the highs. :wink: I played in the last row of a second violin section in a community orchestra, with my head a few feet from three kettledrums. That guy's bass invoked a violent emotion in me, haha. Now, that was bass! 

Yes, it seems those E4XR follow better the Harman curve which is what I believe the best approach when in ears are concerned. I had been occupying with music production for some time, mainly electronic, and what I saw is that all engineers were mixing on different systems in order to get that golden average result that can work almost on every system. Each monitor speaker also has different approach, even though they were all considered "reference". Genelek, Dynaudio, Tannoy, of course KRK, I worked on many and they all have some kind of coloring and own sound presentation. No engineer mixes for just Etymotic and his results vary even to his own several systems! That's why mixing is so so difficult!! One famous engineer said once that mix of an album finishes only because there comes a time that you say "ok, I don't want to go on with this anymore"!! Otherwise it's an infinite procedure...

Even if engineer wants to present some low frequencies which he hears well in his treated studio, on his so called reference monitors, you cannot hear them on some flat response iems, since bass cannot use your body to transport those frequencies to your sensations. Iems have inheritly this problem of sound just getting in your ear canals and not responding with your body, outer ear or head bones, as does at least on headphones. That's why iems need that +5db boost, according to Harman...

By the way, good for you playing the violin!! Playing music is one of the most important occupations someone can have!! All the best...

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #165 of 199
Yes, it seems those E4XR follow better the Harman curve which is what I believe the best approach when in ears are concerned. I had been occupying with music production for some time, mainly electronic, and what I saw is that all engineers were mixing on different systems in order to get that golden average result that can work almost on every system. Each monitor speaker also has different approach, even though they were all considered "reference". Genelek, Dynaudio, Tannoy, of course KRK, I worked on many and they all have some kind of coloring and own sound presentation. No engineer mixes for just Etymotic and his results vary even to his own several systems! That's why mixing is so so difficult!! One famous engineer said once that mix of an album finishes only because there comes a time that you say "ok, I don't want to go on with this anymore"!! Otherwise it's an infinite procedure...

Even if engineer wants to present some low frequencies which he hears well in his treated studio, on his so called reference monitors, you cannot hear them on some flat response iems, since bass cannot use your body to transport those frequencies to your sensations. Iems have inheritly this problem of sound just getting in your ear canals and not responding with your body, outer ear or head bones, as does at least on headphones. That's why iems need that +5db boost, according to Harman...

By the way, good for you playing the violin!! Playing music is one of the most important occupations someone can have!! All the best...

Yeah, I agree, there is no perfect presentation of any recording, no perfect mix, and every piece in the audio chain colors the sound somehow. There are no flat rooms in nature and you're probably right about the small bass boost, perhaps I bought the wrong pair. :wink: Maybe I should just put in my own curve to change it.

Interesting list of speakers. I would rather listen to music on my house speakers, a pair of Gryphon Cantatas that have a unit that rolls off bass and is meant to be used in small rooms. I have a small room, and so that's why I bought them. The most common problem with speaker systems in the home is that they put out too much bass.

Here is the manual for the Cantata: 

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/media/1488/cantatamanual.pdf 

Yes, exactly, bass is felt by the body, which is why I wanted to murder the timpani player when he started whacking those things. 

I switched to the classical guitar seven years ago, an instrument that actually does transmit bass energy to your body, through the wooden box you press to you chest. It's addictive to play, I have to admit. The violin is just not the same. On the other side, you can only get so much energy into a string with a finger, while you can really put a lot of energy into a string with a bow. 

I should probably say something on topic, so, can you recommend a DAC to improve the output of the iPhone 7? Is there a model that gives a substantial improvement to the sound? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back