iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Feb 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #122 of 199
Well it's sorta like this. It's not really brand loyalty as much as how it sounds to me. Klipsch has a certain sound from their horns on down. I'm also a B+W guy and that's why I bought the P7w earphones because they are voiced like their speakers. I've owned Sennheiser, AKG, Koss and other various manufactures over the years and I keep returning to what sounds good to my flawed ears. It's sort of like a finding the right woman. In the end it's not how big her breasts are or how perfect her ass is or how pretty her face is as much as finding the woman who's demons play well with yours. Know what I'm getting at?

Maybe I should stop holding out for the big breasted, peachy assed, pretty faced woman who has no demons to deal with.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #124 of 199
  Do you use the USB3 dongle, or the older USB2 dongle? Have the distortion woes been cleared up?

I have both and neither had a problem with distortion. I purchases both dongles from an Apple Store.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #127 of 199
Which camera kit/adapter do you use?

I'm tempted by the Creative DAC because Bluetooth on the iPhone should one day have aptx, and until then I doubt I'll notice Bluetooth lacking that much anyway, since I don't have lossless music...but the concern is also that should I want to be wired, there are complaints of distortion that might ruin it. Certainly being wireless would be pretty awesome.

On the flip side, the DFR with the USB 3.0 camera kit sounds like a safer way to go.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #128 of 199
Any will work if your DAC has its own power source. Phone -> CCK -> Powered DAC

Any will work if your USB 3.0 CCK is connected via Lightning cable to a power source. Phone -> USB 3.0 CCK + Lightning Cable attached to power -> DAC

Any will work if your setup is Phone -> Any CCK -> Powered USB Hub -> DAC

Some may not work with the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 CCK if the DAC draws power from the phone. Phone -> USB 2.0 / 3.0 CCK -> Unpowered DAC

Even more may not work with the 30 pin CCK + 30 pin to Lightning adapter if the DAC draws power from the phone. Phone -> 30 Pin CCK -> Unpowered DAC

Some may not work if your setup is Phone -> Any CCK -> Unpowered USB Hub -> DAC

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #129 of 199
I'm confused then. I've read plenty of posts about people with DFRs and E5s saying that they're having skipping/popping/distortion. For the DFR, the USB3.0 CCK fixes it regardless of power. For the E5, it's an MFI device with its own battery, and doesn't need a CCK (and with its own battery, it shouldn't have a power issue.)

Additionally, this was posted elsewhere: http://www.skaa.com/media/1242/lightning-audio-bug-in-newer-iphones-102616.pdf

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #130 of 199
  I may have missed this - which iPhone do you have? If it's the 6S, then that might be expected. If it's the 7, this is the first I've heard of the problem not affecting all phones?

I had the 6s and no issues. I upgraded to 7 (Tmobile, 256 GB) in November and no issues either. There are definitely many legitimate reports of distortion and AQ have acknowledged that it does exist for some users, but they still don't know what the root cause is and why it does not affect every iPhone model or iOS version.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #131 of 199
Just to share my experience.

I was hearing audible popping and crackling every few seconds with iPhone 7 --> CCK USB2 --> Dragonfly Red.

When I switched to the CCK USB3, this fixed the problem completely. The CCK USB3 fixed the problem for me with or without power to the CCK. The power didn't seem to matter.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #132 of 199
My post only covers systemic issues, but not individual CCK / Phone issues.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #134 of 199
How is this?

Not really any noticeable improvement in audio quality, maybe a smidgin better but not enough to justify the extra hassle.

I'm using the Shure 846's and am really looking forward to their Lightning DAC Cable. For now I'm going to use the EL-8's with Cipher Cable (they are extraordinary) and will use the Shure's only when necessary until I can get the other cable for them.  

After having the W60's and then the Shures, they can't touch the EL-8's with Cipher Cable, I'm sold on the whole DAC thing now.  The problem with them seems to be portability and compatibility, so the DAC in a Lightning Cable makes a lot of sense to me, being an iPhone user.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #135 of 199
I have a couple questions regarding the dragonfly:
1. They seem to have multiple versions (at least the black one does), if I bought an older version can I upgrade the firmware for it to work (and sound) exactly like a newer version?
2. The red seems to have only one version (newest). Is that true?
3. Can it be used stably with the compact CCK (like the one here)? In fact, is that bundle worth buying at all or just buy the red and buy the CCK separately? (I'm using an iPhone 7+)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back