iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 199
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 199
  Hi All,

I think it would be a good idea for folks who plan to use their iPhone 7/7+ as their portable music player discuss which compact external DAC/amps they are using along with impressions.

What this thread is about:
  1. Compact DAC/amps that can be easily fit in a pocket with the phone
  2. Listening impressions of the DAC/amps
  3. Battery drain/life
  4. Music player apps
  5. Connecting external DAC/amps to iOS 10
  6. Convenience and portability

What this thread is NOT about:
  1. Apple versus Android
  2. Why Apply removed the 3.5mm jack
  3. Streaming versus owning
  4. Lossy versus lossless formats

Running List of Verified Working Devices on iOS 10

1. AQ Dragonfly Red with CCK cable

2. LH Labs Geekout V2+ with CCK cable (*volume level is about 25% less than connected to a desktop USB)

3. Nexum Aqua for iOS (availability is TBD)

4. Oppo HA-2

Not the Mojo?

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #18 of 199
I tested Sound Blaster E5 with lightning cable and it works fine in iOS 10 on my iPhone 6s Plus.

Ditto for FiiO E18 and FiiO K1, although both of these require CCK, unlike SB E5 which works without it.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 199
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 199
I tested Sound Blaster E5 with lightning cable and it works fine in iOS 10 on my iPhone 6s Plus.

Ditto for FiiO E18 and FiiO K1, although both of these require CCK, unlike SB E5 which works without it.

Thanks added to the list!

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 199
I was wondering if you can you use the in-line microphone and controls with the Nexus Aqua. Or even any of these external DACs? I found one Kickstarter project that is about to release soon: the Cobble Micro Audio Amplifier which cost 59 USD through Kickstarter.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 199

What about audio quality with the E5?. And how about output power?. What kind of cans could it drive properly?.
Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 199
  I was wondering if you can you use the in-line microphone and controls with the Nexus Aqua. Or even any of these external DACs? I found one Kickstarter project that is about to release soon: the Cobble Micro Audio Amplifier which cost 59 USD through Kickstarter.

Good point. I will add a note on this in the running list.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #24 of 199

Inline controls (on the Nexum, not on my Westones) seemed to be working fine. I didn't test the inline mic, though. I'll do that today if I get some time.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #26 of 199
So is this a list of MFI certified devices that work straight out of the iPhone with iOS10, or just a list of any DAC that will work? I see some with CCK and forgive my ignorance here, but won't any USB DAC worth with the CCK kit? I was hoping to see which would work without needing that. 

-Collin-

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #27 of 199
Any info on Encore mDAC or mDSD?

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 199
So is this a list of MFI certified devices that work straight out of the iPhone with iOS10, or just a list of any DAC that will work? I see some with CCK and forgive my ignorance here, but won't any USB DAC worth with the CCK kit? I was hoping to see which would work without needing that. 

-Collin-

No, if the dac pulls too much power, it won't work with the CCK. Sometimes you can get around that limitation with a powered USB hub.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #29 of 199
No, if the dac pulls too much power, it won't work with the CCK. Sometimes you can get around that limitation with a powered USB hub.

And there goes the portability in that case.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 199
I ordered the iPhone 7 and my previous setup was a FiiO E11, FiiO L9 LOD and a pair of B&W P7 or AKG K550.  I was going to upgrade to a FiiO DAC/AMP combo but am I wasting my time since my headphones are both low impedance?  I just want better sound from my iPhone 7 and had used the previous setup with my iPhone 5-6s to get a more neutral sound.  My E11 is just old and I wanted to upgrade to something nicer.  Would the FiiO E18 do what I need or again, am I just wasting my time because I'm not using high impedance headphones to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back