iPhone 6 (& Plus) & iOS 8 Sound Quality Discussion
May 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #31 of 39
  I had the iPhone 4 and my daughter has the iPhone 5S, now I have the iPhone 6.  
So far I feel the iPhone 6 has the best sound.  It's warm but detailed. 

The iPhone 4 and 5S with the iOS 7 sounded detailed but on the neutral and clean side.
But now the iPhone 6 (& iOS8 of course) sounds a little warmer but slightly more detailed than both. 

Anyone have their iPhone 6 or plus yet?  What are your impressions of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?

I am happy with the Sound of my iPhone 5s but the iPod Touch 5G, is that much better, you don´t Need an extra amp, more grunt and more controlled rhytm, only wish there was 128GB like on the iPhone 6

May 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 39
I have a new iPhone 6+ with 128 GB. Previously I was using an old 3GS. Using the same relatively inexpensive hardwired headphones, the volume, the clarity, the stereo separation and the high fidelity range were immediately noticeable and remarkably superior to that of the 3GS. Furthermore the more I listen to music, even streaming music on the 6+ the more I am impressed with the overall sound quality they have engineered into this new phone. I report this from the perspective of the home stereo audio file that I am, having invested many thousands of dollars in reference quality home stereo equipment.

In combination with the Grado GR10 i and  high Quality Music Streaming from Tidal / Wimp.it is a winner.

May 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #33 of 39
  I just got the iPhone 6 Plus, and I can testify that there is a significant difference form the iPhone 5 I had before the change. The iPhone 6 + is clearly, warmer, and much more controlled of high frequencies spikes and aggressive highs, even with poor recordings. It seems to have more soundstage and perhaps instrument separation that the iPhone 5, but certainly the biggest difference is that it is warmer, and less edgy with some modern music. It kinds of smoothens out the sound without losing detail and clarity, but it becomes darker and warmer. Maybe more analogue type, if I may say this in that way (?).

I have been testing it with "bright" headphones like the Beyern T70p, with the iPhone 5 it may be a bit too "hot" and aggressive, even sibilant with poor recordings, but with the iPhone 6 + it gains "body" to the music and loses the hot treble sufficiently to make it close to perfect.

But besides the Beyern T70p, I can clearly notice being warmer with the Ety ER4P and the Beoplay H6, so in general it is a warmer source. I am not sure I like it more because I don't like warm and dark sound, but as my HPs have "high clarity" and are  on  the "bright side", they are compatible with the iPhone 6 +.

A dark headphone with the iPhone 6 + may become a too dark.

The perfect Partner, at least fro me is the Grado GR10. John Grado´s son who did the testing ( in ears are his Project) mostly with an iPhone/ iPod.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #35 of 39
^Soon I will be able to tell you what a Geek Out V2+ Infinity out of iPhone 6+ streaming Tidal sounds like.

And I will compare it to my iPhone 4S that I keep as back-up and as a Tidal-streaming player into a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk. II with AD4627-BRZ opamps (using only the amp section).

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 39
So, is it worth it to line out form the Lightning port to a portable DAC/amp?  I'm getting a pair of beyerdynamic T51i and the iPhone 6+ is my primary source.

JJ
You could use the Beyerdynamic A200p in combination, but it doesn't bring much extra. A cheaper solution would be the IOS Relisten app as musicplayer with your iTunes library . This will really improve your sound. If cou have already the T51i you can use them, if not think of the Philips Fidelio M2L.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #37 of 39
You'll have a lot bang for the & bucks if you bought an adequate cheap FiiO amp. OPPO's HA-2 is totally awesome. Finally a portable Dac/amp, that you can use as (wow - listen..) a DAC!!! Fabulous! Denon also have an alternative, but you're hearing impaired if you choose it over the brilliant, beautiful, fast-charging, extremely well balanced, classy HA-2 (by OPPO). I've got two similar Dac/preamps/head-amps with the same name. Norwegian brand - Chinese made. $65.00 & far better phones amp than Camridge Audio dac magic + to $400(!?'!??!)

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #38 of 39
Argon HA-2 "semi tube"(fake of another product with better Dac-specs)
You'll have a lot bang for the & bucks if you bought an adequate cheap FiiO amp. OPPO's HA-2 is totally awesome. Finally a portable Dac/amp, that you can use as (wow - listen..) a DAC!!! Fabulous! Denon also have an alternative, but you're hearing impaired if you choose it over the brilliant, beautiful, fast-charging, extremely well balanced, classy HA-2 (by OPPO). I've got two similar Dac/preamps/head-amps with the same name. Norwegian brand - Chinese made. $65.00 & far better phones amp than Camridge Audio dac magic + to $400(!?'!??!)

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #39 of 39
^Yep, I have felt the 4S is a little veiled but great with Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II (AD4627-BRZ opamps).  For fast/easy listening, I do like to plug things straight into the 4S.  So far, I do not like the iPhone 6+ sound. :frowning2:  Agree with above. Luckily, I will keep my 4S around and use it as an iPod and back-up phone.  Will have to try 6+ > Geek Out after I have my Y-USB cable back.  That is my hope for good sound. Maybe the 6+ was tuned as a system with the EarPods?  I like the sound of the old earbuds better but hated the fit.  The new ones fit better but sounded warm/muddy the time I tried them. Maybe I should take them out of the box.
6s isn't optimized for jack! Use Lightning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back