iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #76 of 391
So I just got done comparing my iphone 5 to my ipod 30gb 5th gen and 4S.

They sound the same to me with the exception of the 30gb and 4S being able to achieve higher volume.

I am not a hardcore audiophile, I just like things to sound good (good headphones+quality music), for anyone concerned about any ipods or iphones sounding better or worse, please dont, they all sound great!

Now of course to the hardcore audiophile it maybe different but for your average person any ipod/iphone will do IMO.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #77 of 391
Thanks for the info on the ety ER-4S everyone!  Much appreciated.  As for "burn-in" on the iPhone, yeah, I didn' think so, and I haven't noticed any change.  Just thought I'd ask to make sure.

I think--I'm hoping--that all of my issues with the 5S are due to alergies.  I've been freaking out since I have only a limited time frame within which I can return the 5S, but ultimately, I just can't believe that the differences between the 5S and the 4 could be that great.  Plus, we have various reports of improved sound quality of the 5S.  SO . . . I think this listening fatigue is all in my head--or my inner ears.  LOL!  And even if it's not I'll just find a workaround--maybe an amp, maybe new headphones, or maybe both.  Or maybe even a separate DAP.  At this point I really don't want to go back to my 4 (which is on its way to a friend overseas), as iOS 7 takes a lot more resources and is (arguably) really only well suited for a 5 or 5S at this point.  YMMV.

Back to more objective aspects of the 5S:

What I can report is that iOS 7 has a reworked music player app, and there are, at present (7.0.2) three significant losses of functionality:

1. When viewing your collection by artist, there is only ONE sub-view: ALL SONGS grouped by album.  Previously, when selecting an artist, you would then see a list of albums.  Then if you selected an album, you would see the songs on that album.  Start with the first song on an album and it would play just the album, ending playback on the last song.  Now, if you select an artist, you see all songs grouped by album.  If you select the first song of any album playback will continue on through the last song of that album and into the first song of the next album (assuming it's not the last album in the list).  I find this to be inconvenient.  For some artists I have DOZENS of albums, and scrolling through all the songs is tedius and inconvenient and time consuming.  Album view is ALPHABETICAL, so that's no help either.

2. Furthermore, cover-flow is GONE.  Now, in land-scape orientation, you get a 3x5 (on a single screen--it scrolls left-right) matrix of album covers, each one about a thumb-width to a side.  I am finding this to be much less convenient and a lot less aesthetically pleasing than cover flow, although to be fair, I never used cover flow very much.

3. The video player only lists music videos ALPHABETICALLY.  That's it.  I have 100 music videos.  It's a lot less convenient to have to scroll up and down this big long list.  In iOS 6, any artist in your collection with 3 or more videos would appear as a single entry in the main list.  Clicking on the artist would bring up a sub-list of all their videos.  But, no longer.  And if you give your videos their own album title and a track number so that they appear in the music app, they can now only be played in portrait orientation.  Rotating to landscape brings up the matrix album view.  So that's not a workaround.

None of these is the end of the world or a deal breaker for me, but I do really hope that Apple brings back the functionality that was lost with future iOS 7 updates.  But I'm not holding my breath.

OK.  Thanks everyone for putting up with me!  I'll report back on my assessment of the iPhone 5S audio out sound quality once my hearing returns to normal.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #79 of 391
Another bit of lost functionality I am upset about, which I hope is just an oversight is that if you're playing music from a site on Safari, like Grooveshark, and you put Safari in the background, it stops play and you can't resume unless you bring Safari back up.

See post below.

I think they are the same

What's the same?

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #80 of 391
Another bit of lost functionality I am upset about, which I hope is just an oversight is that if you're playing music from a site on Safari, like Grooveshark, and you put Safari in the background, it stops play and you can't resume unless you bring Safari back up.
What's the same?
The audio output also I didn't use the iphone5c.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #81 of 391
The audio output also I didn't use the iphone5c.

What were you comparing I mean? And what headphone/earphones did you use?

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #82 of 391

I don't have this issue in iOS7. I can leave Grooveshark in the back and type email, surf the net, etc.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #84 of 391
I don't have this issue in iOS7. I can leave Grooveshark in the back and type email, surf the net, etc.

Let me try a reset. I've actually crashed this thing more times in a few days than I crashed my previous 2 phones over years.

Equalizer just got updated too :D

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #85 of 391
Oct 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #87 of 391

Update, I apparently misremembered. What I can't do that I remember being able to in iOS 6 is being able to change the track from control center or the lock screen. I click next track on the lock screen and it just pauses. Then I click play and it continues the same song. But, as soon as I go back into the grooveshark page, it tries to go to next song lol.

Yes. Older were having 32/64Gb + back end camera + different colors, and newer is more simple, without back end camera, only 16Gb, only in silver, with plastic buttons against metal. Also with better price.

VS

Didn't notice that. Thanks.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #88 of 391
  What I can report is that iOS 7 has a reworked music player app, and there are, at present (7.0.2) three significant losses of functionality:
1. When viewing your collection by artist, there is only ONE sub-view: ALL SONGS grouped by album.  Previously, when selecting an artist, you would then see a list of albums.  Then if you selected an album, you would see the songs on that album.  Start with the first song on an album and it would play just the album, ending playback on the last song.  Now, if you select an artist, you see all songs grouped by album.  If you select the first song of any album playback will continue on through the last song of that album and into the first song of the next album (assuming it's not the last album in the list).  I find this to be inconvenient.  For some artists I have DOZENS of albums, and scrolling through all the songs is tedius and inconvenient and time consuming.  Album view is ALPHABETICAL, so that's no help either.

2. Furthermore, cover-flow is GONE.  Now, in land-scape orientation, you get a 3x5 (on a single screen--it scrolls left-right) matrix of album covers, each one about a thumb-width to a side.  I am finding this to be much less convenient and a lot less aesthetically pleasing than cover flow, although to be fair, I never used cover flow very much.

3. The video player only lists music videos ALPHABETICALLY.  That's it.  I have 100 music videos.  It's a lot less convenient to have to scroll up and down this big long list.  In iOS 6, any artist in your collection with 3 or more videos would appear as a single entry in the main list.  Clicking on the artist would bring up a sub-list of all their videos.  But, no longer.  And if you give your videos their own album title and a track number so that they appear in the music app, they can now only be played in portrait orientation.  Rotating to landscape brings up the matrix album view.  So that's not a workaround.
None of these is the end of the world or a deal breaker for me, but I do really hope that Apple brings back the functionality that was lost with future iOS 7 updates.  But I'm not holding my breath.

OK.  Thanks everyone for putting up with me!  I'll report back on my assessment of the iPhone 5S audio out sound quality once my hearing returns to normal.

#1 bothers me as well - I almost always play my music by going to Artist and then Album. Now there's a lot more scrolling to do. I don't care about #2 & 3 as I never use Cover Flow and I gave up putting my music videos on my iPhone as I never watched them.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #89 of 391
Yeah, the artist-->album-->songs within album was far superior to the artist-->songs grouped by album.  This is the main one for me.  #2 and #3 are no big deal.  But having to scroll through all songs every time definitely bothers me.

BTW, blueangel2323 I love your avatar!  I assume you're a Vampire Diaries fan?  I love that show.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #90 of 391
No Cover Flow = No iOS 7 for me.

As an album listener Cover Flow was like flipping through my good old vinyls.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back