iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Sep 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #31 of 391
  I am really wanting to install iOS7 on my iPhone 4S if the SQ is better but what is keeping me on iOS6 is that I rely on External iPod Controls app that is only functional through Jailbreak.

Anyone know of an app for iPhone that allows me to use volume buttons for track skip without jailbreak?

If it helps at all, in iOS7 you can skip tracks from the lock screen. You don't have to unlock and go to the app.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #33 of 391
You could do that in previous iOS versions too. I think he's looking to change tracks without having to look. That would be nice.

How? 
confused.gif

As far as I can remember, it only showed the album art in the lock screen, no controls.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #36 of 391
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #38 of 391
You just double click the home button on the lock screen.

It's also possible you had it turned off in settings.

Oh yes, that. But the controls weren't right on the lock screen. Double clicking the Home button is just as much work as swiping to unlock, plus it wears out the Home button. What I mean is, in iOS7 the controls are right on the lock screen, in front of the album artwork. No clicking required.

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #40 of 391
Here's GSMarena's take on the 5C audio output:

"Just as expected the Apple iPhone 5c audio output was mostly identical to that of the iPhone 5. The Apple lineup was dethroned as the best in this regard over the past year by some of the Android flagships (most notably the HTC recent top dogs), but the iPhone 5c still performs admirably and will please every audiophile.

In the first trial (connected to an active external amplifier), the iPhone 5c did close to perfectly. The frequency response lacks the deviations at the high end of the spectrum that we saw on the iPhone 5 so the only average stereo crosstalk levels are the only thing that's not brilliant about the smartphone's scores. Volume levels are pretty high too, although not quite as good as on the HTC One.

The second part of our test told a similar story - the iPhone 5c is a great performer with high volume levels and clean output. The stereo crosstalk again isn't the best we have seen, but the rest of the readings are all impressive."

link: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5c-review-993p7.php

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #41 of 391
I haven't heard the iPhone 5 but I'm a little shocked that the 5S sounds significantly different than the 4S I have. I want to use the word... tighter?

Everything sounds more concentrated and controlled and less ambient. It definitely sounds cleaner... but maybe drier too?

I don't know what to make of it yet as you can tell by all the question marks or if I even like it more or not. I mainly just wanted to say that it's markedly different which surprised me a ton. I fully expected it to be a tiny difference at best.

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 391
Gsmarena posted its (flawed) measurements. while you can not trust the absolute numbers vs other phones (since they don't match spl) it's enough to know that output impedance and crosstalk is lower than iPhone 5.

Looks like 5s audio is a winner.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5s-review-994p7.php

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #43 of 391
Gsmarena posted its (flawed) measurements. while you can not trust the absolute numbers vs other phones (since they don't match spl) it's enough to know that output impedance and crosstalk is lower than iPhone 5.

Looks like 5s audio is a winner.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5s-review-994p7.php

Thanks for the update.

Where do you see an output impedance number though?

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #44 of 391
[quote name="elfary" url="/t/682937/iphone-5c-and-5s-audio-output/30#post_9840114"]Gsmarena posted its (flawed) measurements. while you can not trust the absolute numbers vs other phones (since they don't match spl) it's enough to know that output impedance and crosstalk is lower than iPhone 5.Looks like 5s audio is a winner.http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5s-review-994p7.phpOptimism is the depth of technical ignorance
Thanks for the update.Where do you see an output impedance number though?[/quote]

By looking at the bump the graph has at 50hz (they test with AKGs that have more 10 more ohms of impedance at 50 hz that in the rest of the spectrum).

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #45 of 391
GSMArena has now uploaded the the 5s test and claims it sounds even better than the 5c.

"
Apple smartphones have never disappointed when it comes to audio quality and the iPhone 5s makes no exception. In the active external amplifier part of the test, the iPhone 5s did perfectly and even outdid the iPhone 5c with lower stereo crosstalk. Its volume levels were just as high as on the 5c, which makes them one of the best in business, second only to the HTC One and Butterfly.
The second trial produced equally impressive scores. The iPhone 5s again managed to beat its lower-tier brother by the virtue of its better stereo and was overall as close to perfect as it get."

German test site Fokus.de/handy thinks the 5s is the only phone to date to mach the 4s.

They write:

"Der Klang hat sich im Vergleich zum Vorgänger minimal gemausert: Konnte der Sound des iPhone 5 dem 4S nur sehr nahe kommen, aber nicht hundertprozentig gleichziehen, weil die Höhen eine winzige Spur weniger klar und spritzig ertönten, so ist nun mit dem Referenz-Hörer, den Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors, kein Unterschied mehr zwischen 4S und 5S herauszuhören. Somit darf sich auch das 5S des besten Klangs aller Smartphones rühmen, mit kristallenen Höhen, entspannt-wuchtigen Bässen und einem ausgewogen-natürlichen Gesamteindruck. Klasse!"

A rough English rendering for those who don't speak German:

"Audio quality has slightly improved when you compare it the the old model: While the old iphone's audio quality was only close to that of the 4s, the treble being a tiny bit less clear and lively, we now cannot hear a difference between  the 4s and 5s,listening with our reference cans UE. Thus, the 5s can pride itself having the best audio quality among all smartphones - crystalline treble, relaxedly powerful bass and a balance and natural overall impression. Awesome!"

Does not sound to bad, does it?

​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back