iPhone 5 sound quality
Feb 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #106 of 239
Someone could make a fortune if they designed a Baron Frankenstein dummy prop contraption with a simple iPod dock in it.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #107 of 239
Quote:

Guitar amps are a special case: you may want distortion as part of the sound, and you'll choose and adjust the appropriate amp. But a hi fi amp is the opposite - it's job is to recreate what the musician create rather than trying to make the Monkees sound the Velvet Underground or vice versa.

That's what I said.  Did you miss the rest of my post?

"There are a lot of tube headphone amps that sound superb, too, but I still would take solid state over them any day."

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #108 of 239
Yeah but guitar amps 'sound' that way because of the soft-clipping in tubes. In speaker/headphone amps there shouldn't be any clipping at normal levels.

It sounded like you put both in the same category, which they are not.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #109 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by scuttle 

Guitar amps are a special case: you may want distortion as part of the sound, and you'll choose and adjust the appropriate amp. But a hi fi amp is the opposite - it's job is to recreate what the musician create rather than trying to make the Monkees sound the Velvet Underground or vice versa.

That's what I said.  Did you miss the rest of my post?

"There are a lot of tube headphone amps that sound superb, too, but I still would take solid state over them any day."

No, that's not what you said. These are two quite different statements - they don't disagree, but they have separate meanings.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #110 of 239
Quote:
Yeah but guitar amps 'sound' that way because of the soft-clipping in tubes. In speaker/headphone amps there shouldn't be any clipping at normal levels.

It sounded like you put both in the same category, which they are not.

Ok, well it was inferred.  I choose solid state because I want accurate reproduction of the recording.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #111 of 239
Quote:
Quote from your blog: "The conversion was done by Audacity."

There might be the problem. Audacity has a poor, buggy noise shaped dither that does not work correctly with stereo audio, and adds about -80 dBFS (A-weighted) noise. In fact, I even recognize the spectrum of the Audacity noise on your graph. So, the noise floor is most likely not the fault of the iPod, or MP3 compression (you should not use simple THD, noise, etc. measurements to evaluate perceptual coding anyway), but that of Audacity.

You are indeed correct. I first replicated the experiment shown on the website, heard the noise difference, and then turned off dithering and the noise went away. I have some old stuff ripped in flac. Now I'm wondering if that had dithering on or if the noise floor is because it's music from the 70's. 

PS. I sent them a mail too explaining why their graph probably shows a difference. Not sure if they care or not. 

May 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #112 of 239
Well what do you know? You think this will affect SQ thru the headphone out?

[size=48px !important] Apple releases iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5 with updated audio profile for speakerphone[/size]

[size=0.85em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]Apple on Thursday issued a new software update for iPhone 5 owners, adding an updated audio profile for speakerphone. The minor update is now available for download and install.[/size]

May 4, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #113 of 239
Well what do you know? You think this will affect SQ thru the headphone out?

Apple releases iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5 with updated audio profile for speakerphone

[size=.85em] [/size]

[size=1.3em]Apple on Thursday issued a new software update for iPhone 5 owners, adding an updated audio profile for speakerphone. The minor update is now available for download and install.[/size]

I belive this is regarding the sq of the speakerphone not the headphone out.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #117 of 239
The first gen shuffle has the best bass handling of all I products. It features a push-pull amp output. Unfortunately it only plays 128 MP3s. :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #118 of 239
I find that my iPod nano sixth gen is better than my iphone 5 and my iPod Classic ( newest gen). Though it's small and has a  limited 16 GB it has by far the best play back quality. Gapless play back a good UI, only thing that bugs me is apple is stupid and doesn't want to put a user adjustable EQ in their products... I don't want to Rock Box my iPod classic cause I use it for podcasts that take up huge amounts of space, but I also want to use my iPod classic for music in my car which hooks up via USB. Guess I could designate each product for a different use but in this day and age why can't I have one that does everything without all the ********.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #119 of 239
They all sound the same out of a line out dock.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #120 of 239
They all sound the same out of a line out dock.

?? No they don't imo. In fact quite obvious differences/improvements between models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back