iPhone 5 sound quality
Mar 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #137 of 239
  The iPhone 5 measures pretty much perfect; it isn't the one at fault.

I'm not denying it measures well.  Lots of sources measures well, but sonically it could be different.  This is subjective I know since it's not measured objectively, but we cannot close ourselves of other variables that are not aware of that cannot be perceived objectively that adds to the sonic difference.  If you look at it, the sound measurements for headphones has not been perfected yet, Sean Olive is coming up with a new way to measure headphones, so lets keep our mind open.

The S4 measures well with 1.2 output impedance, and to me it has wider sound and with neutron it's clear sounding(probably more warmth although the graph is neutral). Fiio measures well with the lowest output impedance possible, but to my ears it sounds less natural or less analog.

If we limit ourselves to what knowledge, we can possibly limit your self to possibilities.  we might be missing out on lots of things that we are not willing to try and would enjoy.  I agree it's good to be skeptical to keep things in check, but it's also helpful to have an open mind.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #138 of 239
  I'm not denying it measures well.  Lots of sources measures well, but sonically it could be different.  This is subjective I know since it's not measured objectively, but we cannot close ourselves of other variables that are not aware of that cannot be perceived objectively that adds to the sonic difference.  If you look at it, the sound measurements for headphones has not been perfected yet, Sean Olive is coming up with a new way to measure headphones, so lets keep our mind open.

The S4 measures well with 1.2 output impedance, and to me it has wider sound and with neutron it's clear sounding(probably more warmth although the graph is neutral). Fiio measures well with the lowest output impedance possible, but to my ears it sounds less natural or less analog.

If we limit ourselves to what knowledge, we can possibly limit your self to possibilities.  we might be missing out on lots of things that we are not willing to try and would enjoy.  I agree it's good to be skeptical to keep things in check, but it's also helpful to have an open mind.

There is no sonic difference - at this point it's still an electrical signal and we are very good at comparing electrical signals.

Sean Olive is coming up with a FR target for headphones - hardly anything new or magically unprecedented.

I'm sure these differences will disappear on a blind test.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #140 of 239
Seriously?

So anything that measures perfect sounds perfect?

You can't listen to a voltage. You can only listen to sounds.  The headphone out of the iPhone 5 produces an electrical signal, not a sound.

Wow, really....have you even listened to it?

It is one of the worst sounding daps out there...

Yes; it sounded great. There are many people who would agree with me.

This is why we have blind tests.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #141 of 239
U
You can't listen to a voltage. You can only listen to sounds.  The headphone out of the iPhone 5 produces an electrical signal, not a sound.

Yes; it sounded great. There are many people who would agree with me.

This is why we have blind tests.
[/quote

You cant listen to measurements either.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #144 of 239
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #145 of 239
Mar 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #147 of 239
Nothing wrong with lossless streaming, notthing wrong with iPods either.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #149 of 239
Well now, this is kind of awkward. I just got my new iPhone 5 so I had to download all my android apps from the appstore, and thus the Wimp for iphone. And the factory setting on this (allthough I subscribe to lossless streaming service) is aac 96kbps. Seems I had neglected to change the settings. That made all the difference. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #150 of 239
I recommend Capriccio as a FLAC playing app,
such a shame you can't get an analogue line out, as the headphone amp
is pretty pathetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back