iPhone 5 Line out?
Sep 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #76 of 94
Sorry, I misread your post. My original reply still stands for Griffster.

Regarding your DAC, it is not an iDevice DAC like the Sony PHA-1, Fostex HP-P1 or V-Moda VAMP, so you will never be able to connect it to the DAC portion of your device. You can still connect any portable music player to it via the line-in. If using the headphone out on your music player instead of an LOD you need to have the volume up fairly high on the music player.
what he said.

If you want to use your idevice as a pure transport and bypass its dac and amp you need the sony pha1, fostex hpp1, verza, godapx, hifim8 or clas.
This is using a 30pin to usb-a lod.

The one you have now ibasso zero connected via a 30pin lod to mini 3.5 will only bypass the ipod amp.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #77 of 94
I would be very interested in a digital out so that an external DAC can be used. And $100 car stereos can pull a USB audio stream from iPods and iPhones, so clearly we're being ripped off by companies making $500+ docks/transports.

No, you are being charged that much to feed the digital signal into a dac. You can just easily spend one fifth on a mfi dock, albeit that would really be for home use

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:
what he said.

If you want to use your idevice as a pure transport and bypass its dac and amp you need the sony pha1, fostex hpp1, verza, godapx, hifim8 or clas.

The one you have now ibasso zero connected via a 30pin lod to mini 3.5 will only bypass the ipod amp.

All right, but what puzzles me is that I'm already using the IBASSO ZERO with my IPOD Classic and it works perfectly well, provided you use the 30pin audio out and not the headphone out.
Would it be that different with the IPOD TOUCH 5g if I used the lightning > 30pin adapter?
Here are a couple of pics of the set up I'm currently using. You see the connection between the IPOD Classic dock and the IBASSO line in. I'm anxious to know if this set up is still possible with the IPOD TOUCH 5g.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #79 of 94
Well it would stick out a lot more thats for sure.
The adapter adds length, and the apple adapter also has its own dac in it.

The set up you have now is fine and of course it works well. The dac in your ipod is fine and the ibasso adds a bit more amp power.

You can use the ibasso zero dac with a computer, but as we have said not with an
Ipod. It will just amp your ipod.

If you want to go with an iphone5 you can go iphone5/apple lightning to 30pin adapter/lod to ibasso.
Or
Iphone5/mini to mini cable/ibasso.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #80 of 94

Add to the list, the ADL X1 :cool:

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #81 of 94
Sorry reread and you said ipod touch 5, what i said above still fits , just change iphone 5 for touch 5.

But your set up now is fine imho.

pamesene.jpg

My set up. Hifi-m8/ ipod touch 4g with flacplayer app / ATH-ESW11 Ltd Ed

5ype8ybe.jpg

Just sold Fostex hp_p1 (kept the ATH-ESW9).

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #82 of 94
I do not think you appreciated the previous posts

30-pin lineout only bypasses the amp

iDevice dac bypasses the internal dac AND amp

Whether the price premium of mfi is "worth it" is a different matter. Often people read tons of threads on Head-Fi and convince themselves they need something and are simply looking for someone else to reinforce that. You appear to be in that position. If you like the sound of your existing setup then stick with it. You will not find many prepared to say spending 500 (insert currency) will definitely give you "better" sound. We do not have your ears

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #83 of 94
Well it would stick out a lot more thats for sure.
The adapter adds length, and the apple adapter also has its own dac in it.

I wish a manufacturer would make a lightning to DAC to 3.5mm jack where say there is a 5 cm length from lightning to DAC and another 5 cm from DAC to 3.5mm. Right now when I use a Apple lightning-DAC adapter and add a LOD it feels so cumbersome. All that mass near the lightning port is something asking to break but having the DAC somewhere in the middle of the lightning to 3.5mm is in my view a better solution. Or at least an optional solution.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:
what he said.

Spot on!
I think I was misusing the word DAC. What I want, indeed, is to muscle up the power of the amp side in my set up, since I'm using the ETYs ER 4S earplugs which won't shine until amped up with a portable device alonside the IPOD.
So I assume I can still use this set up with the Touch, as you said, taking advantage of the adapter.
Arigatô!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #86 of 94
Quote:
Spot on!
I think I was misusing the word DAC. What I want, indeed, is to muscle up the power of the amp side in my set up, since I'm using the ETYs ER 4S earplugs which won't shine until amped up with a portable device alonside the IPOD.
So I assume I can still use this set up with the Touch, as you said, taking advantage of the adapter.
Arigatô!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to go with an ipod touch 5G you can go iphone5/apple lightning to 30pin adapter/lod to ibasso.
Or
Ipod touch 5G/mini to mini cable/ibasso.

Does your ibasso zero have enough power for you now? If so then fine.

Also ipod touches can make use of lots of music EQ apps
flaplayer app
Denon Audio 
EQu
Equalizer
sonicmaxpro
..to name a few.

But your set up now is fine too

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #87 of 94
Quote:
If you want to go with an ipod touch 5G you can go iphone5/apple lightning to 30pin adapter/lod to ibasso.
Or
Ipod touch 5G/mini to mini cable/ibasso.

Does your ibasso zero have enough power for you now? If so then fine.

Also ipod touches can make use of lots of music EQ apps
flaplayer app
Denon Audio 
EQu
Equalizer
sonicmaxpro
..to name a few.

But your set up now is fine too

Yeah as it is the IBasso is fine with the Etys. Considering all options I'll go with Touch 64gb > lightning > 30pins adapter > IBasso
This way I have an all-in-one device.
The only concern I have is the slight loss of sound quality I might experience, going from Wolfson chip to new Touch chip. I've herad the IPod Classic still outperforms the new Touch 5 by a fair margin when we talk sheer sound quality.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #88 of 94
Hmm, i am not sure if we are talking about the same things here.

Ipod touch 5. Connects to http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009A5EIWC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1378116083&sr=8-2&pi=SL75
(Which has a dac in it, a wolfson i believe).

Which you then plug you existing cable into

Then to the ibasso.

---------------

Or you could get a 4th gen and not need te adapter.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #89 of 94
Yes that's what I meant.
Still bothered by the numerous articles and threads I've bumped into saying the old Ipod classic 5.5 (which I own) would sound better than the devices with the Cirrus chip (touch, nano, Iphones etc.)
Hesitation, hesitation...
basshead.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #90 of 94
This will keep you busy

impressions of nano and adapter
http://www.head-fi.org/t/635800/impression-apple-nano-7g-lightning-to-30pin-adapter

about the adapter
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628369/all-about-the-new-apple-lightning-cables-plugs-update-the-plot-thickens

source and amps output measurements etc
http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Graphs
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/rmaa%20complete%20-%20html.html

The wolfson vs cirrus debate was worn out long ago.
If you are happy, why change?

the wolfson can be described as more warmer and the cirrus more bright/detailed...perhaps.

Try a friends iphone 5 or ipod touch 5 first or in a store.

Any way, thats me, I cant add anything more I think. 
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back