iPhone 4 vs. Wolfson Android phones
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Ew, why would you mention Beats audio? Are you trying to make SURE they don't take our Androids seriously? :p

I just want to see a graph of the SGS or any Tegra 2 phone (all of which have the Wolfson chip) using voodoo. I have a feeling, given the ratings of the SGSII without the voodoo mod, and considering its outright inferiority to the Wolfson-bearing phones with OR without the Voodoo mod, that the phones with Wolfson WM8994 DAC + Voodoo mod would at the very least come close to matching the iPhone 4 LOD performance in terms of overall perception of audio quality.

Well apparently the beats audio cleans the signal up a lil - check out the HTC threads on it - iv'e yet to try it though. Should be a  simple CWM flash.

Quote:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490p7.php

Scroll down 3/4's of the way to the bottom.

ah cool :)
I always thought that old ipods were better than newer ones...

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 36
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 36
Really now? Every review I've read says it's merely a software bass boost, ie added compression + EQ

Quote:
Well apparently the beats audio cleans the signal up a lil - check out the HTC threads on it - iv'e yet to try it though. Should be a  simple CWM flash.

ah cool :)
I always thought that old ipods were better than newer ones...

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 36
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 36
I think we may be threadjacking...maybe a mod could split this into a separate topic?

This seems a good candidate for the first post of a splitoff thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-231-iems-compared-velodyne-vpulse-tfta-1v-added-03-18-12/6315#post_8243841

Maybe it could be titled "iPhone 4 vs. Wolfson Android phones"

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
Well I mean amps are only ever going to improve volume for anything that has its juice requirements met by the source initially, right?

I know. But some people talk of amps as the second coming, so naturally, I expected improvements when I got my hands on some. Nope...

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #25 of 36
I will never buy another portable amp. FiiO E5 actually made all of my headphones sound worse. My G2x can pump way more volume than I will ever be physically capable of hearing, at least with every IEM I've tested it with so far. I use the Voodoo amp at between -36 to -28 dB; setting it at -20 DB and full volume on the phone would probably begin to have noticeably adverse affects on my hearing within a relatively short period of time. For some unknown reason, one time it reset automatically to -18 when I plugged my phones in and I had to rip them out hastily for fear of going deaf.

...and to think it goes all the way up to +5dB... +2 is the stated limit for the 3.5mm jack.
ph34r.gif

Amp? Sweet Jesus no. Not as long as I want my skull in one piece.

I'm actually really curious if the G2x could do something like the RE262, which appears to need tons of juice, real justice. Does volume = power in this sense? If so I'm not sure what phones this thing COULDN'T drive properly 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I know. But some people talk of amps as the second coming, so naturally, I expected improvements when I got my hands on some. Nope...

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 36
I feel like there's more to it than just volume... Not that I own or really want an amp.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 36
I had assumed so, but my G2x goes so freaking loud that I wonder how more of anything could ever be of benefit

I meant more like finding the best match between electronic components more than just how loud something can be driven. Stuff that's way over my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back