iPhone 4 vs. Wolfson Android phones
Mar 22, 2012 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD

Quote:
I am not up to date at all on the state of the portable amp market - you'd probably be better off asking in the RE262 thread to see if anyone has had any particularly good pairing within your budget. I got a chance to try the Portaphile amp and ADL Cruze recently and I liked both (the Portaphile especially) but those are a bit spendy. I also don't know how good the HPO of the Galaxy is. My phone is an HTC model and while it isn't terrible, I certainly wouldn't bother amping it instead of just getting a proper source. 

The SGS has a better audio ship than the iPhone

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 36
Ooh.. looks like the GR01 has moved into the "In Progress" section...

I'm anxious to read your review on them. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 36
Mar 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
^^
http://www.swedroid.se/rightmark/galaxys/galaxys.htm
http://sonove.angry.jp/iPhone4%20Line-out%2024bit.htm

That's for:
Testing device Galaxy S 2

S2 has a worse chip than the S1 and iphone4/s
S1 has the best chip of them all - let alone with its capabilities with voodoo control amp

Anyway...
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php

Even though they say the iphone4 is better in audio, in the article- I'm yet to hear it being better vs voodoo's control app on the S1.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 36
Not really a fair comparison though, considering that is comparingthe iPhone's LOD and, presumably, an aftermarket DAC, vs the regular 3.5mm jack on the Galaxy S.

It is what it is, but exactly WHAT it is should be made clear, I think.

Is there a comparable graph for the iphone 4/s using the standard aux out?

Quote:
^^
http://www.swedroid.se/rightmark/galaxys/galaxys.htm
http://sonove.angry.jp/iPhone4%20Line-out%2024bit.htm

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
btw Dubbed the review you posted doesn't do your/our case much good; it clearly states that the iPhone 4 has better audio out :p However they are clearly not using the Voodoo sound mod as no mention of it is made.

I know - As I said, the article make the iPhone4 better.
But as I said, do that with the inclusion of:
Beats audio (ported from HTC) + Voodoo sound.

I can't listen to my SGS without voodoo....

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
Also is this using the stock software on the SGS, or rooted with Voodoo sound mod?

Looks like STOCK mate.

And on top of that, as u noted before, seems like the iphone is LOD'ed? If so...that's a biased comparison lol.

Quote:
@shotgunshane

For the record, that looks to be the graph for the Galaxy S II, rather than the original Galaxy S model.

If you have a similar graph for the LG Optimus 2x/G2x using the Voodoo sound mod I would be curious to see it :)

:D

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 36
Ew, why would you mention Beats audio? Are you trying to make SURE they don't take our Androids seriously? :p

I just want to see a graph of the SGS or any Tegra 2 phone (all of which have the Wolfson chip) using voodoo. I have a feeling, given the ratings of the SGSII without the voodoo mod, and considering its outright inferiority to the Wolfson-bearing phones with OR without the Voodoo mod, that the phones with Wolfson WM8994 DAC + Voodoo mod would at the very least come close to matching the iPhone 4 LOD performance in terms of overall perception of audio quality.

Quote:
I know - As I said, the article make the iPhone4 better.
But as I said, do that with the inclusion of:
Beats audio (ported from HTC) + Voodoo sound.

I can't listen to my SGS without voodoo....

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 36
Just to make it easy for shotgunshane or anyone else who knows where to find these graphs (I can neither read swedish nor navigate that website, myself), here is a list of the devices using the Wolfson WM8994 audio chip that are supported by the Voodoo sound mod which unleashes the full potential of the Wolfson DAC:

Samsung Galaxy S, all models (other brandings include Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate, Indulge)
Samsung Galaxy K
Samsung Galaxy U
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0
Samsung Nexus S (also 4G variant)
Samsung Infuse 4G
Samsung Exhibit 4G
Samsung Continuum
Samsung Epic 4G
Samsung Droid Charge
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0
T-Mobile Sidekick 4G by Samsung
LG Optimus 2x/G2x
Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Other devices with the WM8994 that do not support Voodoo Sound (would also be useful for comparison):

LG Optimus Black
Motorola Atrix 4G
Motorola Photon 4G
Motorola Droid Bionic
Toshiba Folio 100
Any other device I may have missed that uses the NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor

So if something could be found in the way of a graph for one of these phones, Voodoo or no, we would have a much more accurate comparison given what TD originally expressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back